Appointment set for my 2.0L TDI Engine (GEN 3) Emissions Control Software - Stg 1 Mod

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Had my car Jetta flashed last week.
Very subtle changes noticed, mostly it seems it has SLIGHTLY more TQ at lower rpms, and I don't need to be as nice with the fuel pedal to NOT have it downshift when doing a cruise acceleration.
In going back and forth to work, it seems the highway mpg is SLIGHTLY higher.
Too early to say very much, but my experiences​ seem to mirror the observations of others.
Can't say anything bad about the change. Just have a better warrenty, and some $$ in the bank...
And oh yeah, a TDI still in my driveway!

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
This will be my final update. I now have 5,000 miles on the "fix" and my results are:

My MPG has increased 5%. My MPG is 42-45 with spirited driving (80% highway.) While I use the manualmatic to downshift, as opposed to accelerating and the car downshifting on its own, it gives me the acceleration I am accustomed to. I've adjusted my driving habits to account for this and am no longer bothered by it.

The Adblue consumption is 150% of what it used to be. I'm ok with that as I top off my tank every 5K when I rotate my tires.

I will be going with a tune but have yet to purchase it. I hope this has helped someone make their decision to sell or keep.

Drive safe.

I'm up in the air X 10

If I can't sell it to an individual, (and I am trying) then I an left with the BB or the fix

Thanks

ntwrkd

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd SEL
2015 Jetta 6MT, 36,500 miles. Phase 1 fix Tuesday 2/28/17 8:15 AM.. Dealer couldn't get into site to enter data. Waited 15 minutes for the site to come online. Took about an hour. Haven't used a full tank yet but from my experience (Fuelly and very attentive to my on board computer readings) no discernible difference in mpg, drivability, acceleration, noise. I think the people posting about the increased throttle response are DSG owners and most likely learning mode is engaged still. My manual is exactly the same as before the fix. Email sent Wednesday, money was in my account Thursday. Registering for Chase took maybe 2 minutes on my phone. Very smooth transaction all around. 42 tdi's on the lot with reg stickers peeled off assuming these were buybacks. I will report back after a few tanks but that will probably be in about a month as 1 get 2 weeks on a tank.
MPG's a wee bit better but also warmer weather has arrived. Not sure if there is any difference due to "the fix".
Performance not affected at all. Thank you VW for cheating. After all rebates, goodwill and the like, saved about 8k off sticker. Added 162k 11 year warranty. Loving everything the car has to offer.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
MPG's a wee bit better but also warmer weather has arrived. Not sure if there is any difference due to "the fix".
Performance not affected at all. Thank you VW for cheating. After all rebates, goodwill and the like, saved about 8k off sticker. Added 162k 11 year warranty. Loving everything the car has to offer.
Yup...this new car has been the cheapest one I could have bought after the rebates, free $$, extra check's, and now the warrenty.
Shame it the end of the line for the TDI.

DaCooter

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
I had phase 1 done in late Feb on my '15 6/speed.
She might be a touch louder at idle.
Seems to have a bit more torque at lower rpm. I only noticed because I had to adjust how I pull away from a stop to be as smooth as usual.
Other than that it seemed about the same.

Until

I took her for a track day at Mid-Ohio and she doesn't have the top end she did. Same track last fall she would pull good to near 4500 rpm. This time she pretty much signs off around 4200.

I still want to keep her though. According to the digital display I averaged a bit over 30 mpg for the two days of track work.

xabjw4

TDI
2015 Golf SW S TDI
Brand new, leftover 2015 VW Golf SW purchase

I just bought from dealer in Staunton, VA a new, leftover 2015 VW Golf SW 2.0L EA288 TDI S model built in April 2015. It was $26,835 sticker with $5,000 off the top and 72-months at 0% financing through VW. Its the DSG automatic and I put 750 miles on it already with some break-in sprints around the mountains here. The computer and a fill-up and a half show its getting about 44 mpg overall. Seems much more powerful and spirited than my 2006 Golf manual 1.9L TDI and I am happy overall currently with the purchase. The paperwork showed it had the new approved flash, new battery and oil w/ filter change and brake fluid flush. Seems to be what it should be. That's all I know about it currently.:D

TDI-Tom

TDI
2015 2.0L Passat
2015 Passat Phase 1 Complete – Very Happy

On June 1, 2017, the local dealer completed the phase 1 emissions software flash on my 2015 Passat TDI with DSG transmissions. When I started the car, 1st time at the dealer, I thought it seemed a teensy bit louder at idle than before…can’t say one way or the other for sure.

I now have about 300 miles on her since the update and I am quite happy with the results. The DSG seems to shift to the higher speed gears a little bit earlier than it used to, but I actually like that better, riding the TDI torque curve feels just fine. Yes, I know horsepower = torquexRPM and I have lower RPM, but I like the feel of it better. Meanwhile, if I “jump on it” (the throttle, that is), she accelerates nicely around the slowpokes, albeit not quite as quickly as she used to. Repeat: I am quite happy with this car!

Too early to know about the fuel consumption change, but so far, based on comparing average trip fuel economy as computed by the onboard system, there doesn’t seem to be much variance. I’ll not know for sure until a few fill-ups. Note: around here there is a significant elevation change from home to work. So I’ll see 55 to 60 MPG going downhill and 38 to 40 MPG going uphill. The variation listed is usually dependent on how many red lights I encounter. Or how quickly I want to get home J overall the average of the two was around 42.5 MPG. We’ll see how it goes.

The dealer put the new emissions labels next to the hinge on the hood on the driver’s side. I will post a pix of the labels, if/when I figure out how.

P.S. my first VW diesel was a 1982 rabbit. I’ve had several Jetta diesels since then.

TDI-Tom

TDI
2015 2.0L Passat
Just did a historic check on fuel mileage for this 2015 Passat TDI (miles driven/gallons to fill up) All of this is mixed city and residential. No long trips.
2015 = 37 mpg
2016 = 38 mpg
2017 (to date) = 39 mpg
The onboard computer is about 41.5, last I checked...so the computer is more optimistic than the hand calculations
We'll see where the rest of 2017 lands on fuel economy.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
.... snip....

I now have about 300 miles on her since the update and I am quite happy with the results. The DSG seems to shift to the higher speed gears a little bit earlier than it used to, but I actually like that better, riding the TDI torque curve feels just fine.

Yes, I know horsepower = torquexRPM and I have lower RPM, but I like the feel of it better. Meanwhile, if I “jump on it” (the throttle, that is), she accelerates nicely around the slowpokes, albeit not quite as quickly as she used to. Repeat: I am quite happy with this car!

...snip...
Thank you for your post info. -- As I will be going for the FIX

10 weeks ago I was up in the air about the BB (or even trying to sell it outright.

General satisfaction with my (particular TDi, and the 162,000 mile 11 year (transferable) warranty was the factor

Rick_Brown

TDI
2014 Passat, 2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Is there a thread with postings on how the gen 2, 2012-14 Passat TDI's perform and drive after their emission fix? All I see here are gen 3, 2015 model years.

Thanks.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
This thread was set up to be all about GEN III (2015) TDI's.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
General satisfaction with my (particular TDi, and the 162,000 mile 11 year (transferable) warranty was the factor
The extended warantee is only on emission items, not the engine or transmission or drivetrain. Engine if emission caused problem.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
The extended warantee is only on emission items, not the engine or transmission or drivetrain. Engine if emission caused problem.
Hmmm. My booklet says:
Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.
No where in my booklet does it say "covered only if emission system failure is determined to cause the problem."

I wouldn't add to something that is not explicitly stated.

Although I see you are from Canada - your warranty may be different than that provided in the US.