Post NE GTG

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
Well all, the GTG was a success. I'm hoping a lot of fun was had by all. I had a blast and can't wait for the next one. Too all those who wanted the 5 brake light mod done and didn't get a chance, here's a link on how you do it: rear fog link

For those of you who left after the brewery tour, I was chipped. Erik (Torque!), thanks for letting me drive your car, it drove me over the edge. Chuck, how do you like upsolution? Tom, thanks for the new badge, I only put the red I on so far. I'll post a pic later.

EAR

PS. Whoever let me use their flashlight, I still have it. Let me know where to send it.

RedNBTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2000, Red
I had a wonderful time too and met some great TDI owners and their SO's. Thanks to Jonathan and Tom for being terrific hosts and my special thanks to Jonathan and Andy (and one other who's name I missed) for their help with my snowscreen removal. It was about 10 - 15% blocked after 11,800 miles. Not too bad, but that is one very fine screen. I cleaned it and put it back. Sad that I had the only NB there!
mary

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
A couple of pictures from the GTG that I first posted over on vortex during the outage. I'll just use the links to the pics to save on bandwidth.

Jon's Driveway

The brewery tour

I had a great time and picked up some great tips. Can't wait for the next one!

Mark

TwinsDad

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDi Salsa Red, '12 Passat SEL TDi Bluish
Hello all, We had a wonderful, if short stay, We had to leave after getting chipped as TJ started to get sick. (
!)

BTW, Andy I would have been back to let you know... WOW!! Thanks, $$$ well spent.

Again, had a great time, we've got to do this again. Thanks Jonathan and Tom, for a job well done

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Guys/Girls: I don't know about the rest of you but I am already starting to formulate some ideas for another GTG I had such a great time at this one. It is amazing to see the total enthusiasm people have for this brilliant automobile we call the TDI!

DFDJ

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagon SEL, 01 Jetta Baltic Green Sold at 277,500 mi,
Thanks to BawlsyTDI for the great illustrated step by step for the brake light mod and to Mycruiseagent for posting the pix...hope there are more to come.

Thanks especially to dieseldorf and John for organizing the event, it was a great opportunity to meet lots of other TDI owners and learn about their machines and mods. Hope to see all of you, and more, at future New England events.

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DFDJ:
Thanks to BawlsyTDI for the great illustrated step by step for the brake light mod and to Mycruiseagent for posting the pix...hope there are more to come.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I can't take responsibility for the tail light mod. But I will be posting a bunch of pics in a bit. I also can't wait for the next GTG. Perhaps Newport RI would be a good place. Brenton Point is rather large, perfect for a picnic, and has plenty of parking. Or Fort Adams would be good also.

EAR

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
OK folks, here's some pics from the GTG last Sat.

Here's a pic of Chuck enjoying the smell of Biodiesel

Here's one of what I saw driving up Jon's road.

One of the cars that went to the brewery

More to come in a bit

EAR

Dale Wehrle

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 2 Dr
I'd like to echo the comments of others at the NE GTG. It was a great time; I only wish I could've stayed on past 12:30pm! I got an urgent call and had to duck back to Concord, MA [Work!] I'm looking forward to the next GTG and spending more time socializing and learning more about peoples' experiences (and passion!) for TDIs.
Greetings from Fitchburg MA!

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
All,
As Alice slept in the passenger seat I did enjoy seeing and talking to so many of the great NE TDI'ers. I sure hope thgat you all enjoyed the "minty fresh" smell of BioDiesel.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
Folks:

I wish I could have taken the time to meet more of you, but as it was I was quite consumed by my OilGuard installation. My wife and dog had a super time though, and managed to meet many of your wives, girlfriends, children, etc

I hope to be able to post some of the pictures I took of the OilGuard install in the next day or so... unfortunately it never occurred to me to take pictures of all the cars lined up...

I look forward to the next GTG, and am disappointed that it's going to be getting too chilly to do that sort of thing any time again soon...

Hopefully next time I can get chipped... plus maybe Snowball and I will be installing boost guages and I'd also like to wire up the rear fog lights, descreen, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks to Jonathan for hosting, and for his use of tools and expertise. Thanks to Eric and Adam for looking over my shoulder for much of my install and for suggesting a prime mounting spot for an OilGuard.

Phil -- AKA MITBeta

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: MITBeta ]

riddei

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Storm Grey
Great event.

That picture of Chuck "sniffing" PeterV's exhaust cracks me up. It was nice to meet everyone. My wife and I had a great time flipping burgers.

I don't think the weather in the North East will allow us do do this again any time soon.

Thanks, again Tom & Jonathan.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riddei:
...I don't think the weather in the North East will allow us do do this again any time soon....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless someone has a pretty good sized warehouse
I'd guess it won't be until springtime.

snowball

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Red
Hi everyone.

I was away for the week teaching a class up in VT (no Internet connetion!) so could not post here sooner.

Just wanted to say that I had a great time at the GTG. Everything seemed to go perfectly. The name tags were a great idea, the food was in plentiful supply, and of course everyone was pleasant

Jonathan: Thanks for hosting us all... Don't forget to edit your post with your phone # in it, I don't think the forum has a short-term memory

dieseldorf was a great co-host as well.

I hope we can all get together again when the weather brightens up in this region.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I had a great time also and a safe trip back to Montreal. Got Upsoluted the next day after my return. The newfound power is awesome. Im sure Bawlsy and others agree as well. Hope to see you all again sometime soon. I would make the trip again as long as it is somewhere in New England. (Burlington VT would be nice and close!)

Take care all,

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I'm listed in the phone book anyway. I'd have to also edit my name, screen name, and all references to the town name also, not just on the Fred's Forum, but also on the VWVortex and Natescape's site. I'll deal with the calls should they come.

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MSG to all who attended the GTG at Jon's house. Who ever lent me their flashlight, I still have it. Let me know where to ship it, or drop it off. And thanks a lot for letting me use it, what a help. Can't wait for the next one.

EAR

PS. the remander of the pics from the GTG are available on my site: Photo page They should all be up, just scroll down, and around for them.

natescape

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment. *sniff*
T'was a blast. Perhaps we could make a sprint trip to Colt State Park in Bristol, RI. Great place to hang out when the weather's nice.

Wanted to thank Jon and Tom for setting up everything. Also wanted to apologize to those of you I led on a wild goose chase to the brewery.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
If anybody's interested, I posted my procedure and pictures of my OilGuard install from the GTG on the Fuels and Lubricants section. Enjoy.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To those who were asking about it at the GTG, Mobile Delvac 1 is available from the following source close to Boston:

Casey Petroleum (aka Alliance Energy)
30 Charles St
Needham MA
781 444 4472

Map

You can get a case of 4 gallons for under $100. Their per gallon cost is higher when purchased outside of a case.

Does anybody know why my UBB code doesn't work here?

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: MITBeta ]

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: MITBeta ]

DeeBee

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 99.5 Golf (Blue), Ex 96 Passats (Blue & Grey), Ex 97 Passat(Green)
I'm bummed I could not make AND I did not have mt TDI then

Well, I have it now and I can't wait for the next gtg.

BawlsyTDI - Thanks for the extra brake light mod. They work great!

DeeBee

Veteran Member
TDI
PeterV,

How do you like your Nokian's? I run NRW's on both my S/O's and my Subaru. Next spring I'll look into a set of NRV's if I get favourable responses.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
DEEBEE,
Nokian NRH2's with the Borbet type'T' wheels. They are very stickey a great tire. I donot have any info about the NRV's. I should think that any tire that is Nokian should be good. I like the tread depth numbers in the tread. I also have Nokian Hakka 'Q''s for the winter. Now that the Peloquin "Quaif" & the G60/VR6 clutch are installed I won't have any slip at the engine & wheels w/snow. Sort of 1/2 Audi Quattro.
PeterV

DeeBee

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm looking for the wide angle rear view mirrors for the driver's side of the MKIV golf/jetta.
I tried to search but no luck. Does anyone know where I can find this thread?

Thanks.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DeeBee:
I'm looking for the wide angle rear view mirrors for the driver's side of the MKIV G/J...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DeeBee, I have that on my Jetta. Roger Moore (VORTEX) got it for me. I think it was $45.

Potterman in Calif. can also get them. People refer to them as split zone euro mirror. L & R are available==> split zone

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: dieseldorf ]

DeeBee

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks dieseldorf!

I just ordered a pair

DeeBee

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks PeterV,

I was just about to order a set of Nokian NRV's when I found out about the NRZi - which Nokian claims to be better than the NRV.

I'll wait until spring when my Yokohama's are used up.