No Fuel in Fuel Filter 2005 Jetta TDI, In Tank Pump Seized

milfordfab

TDI
2005 Jetta
Car died in traffic, no warning, No Fuel in Fuel Filter 2005 Jetta TDI. Fixed it for $.50, here is the story. There is a lift pump in the tank of my 2005 Jetta TDI seized up. What the pump does is pump fuel from the tank to fill the fuel filter (black line) and the overflow returns to the tank (blue line). There is a black plate under the back seat that you remove to get at the top of the fuel tank. Unclip the fuel lines, unplug the wires, then unscrew the large black ring, pull the pump unit up and out, the gasket must come out first. What happened to mine was dirt got through the screen, into the bucket and through the filter inside the bucket and got stuck between the pump impeller and the pump body, the pump no longer would spin. The bucket comes apart by removing the plastic fuel line (heat with a match or a lighter and pull apart) and 3 snap/clips. (remove with a small screw driver) The second screen removes from the pump with 3 snap/clips too. You can reach inside the pump inlet and break the pump impeller free with a dental tool. Mark the wires before disassembling the pump unit. Clean, test and reassemble the pump unit, ect., add a hose clamp to the hose that was removed from the pump. Total cost was a $.50 clamp. It now works perfect (till more dirt get through it). Note, if you don't have good hands, find someone that does to work on the pump unit as it is built like a cheep toy or buy one from the dealer for $250. It only takes 10 minutes to remove the pump once you find it. Best of luck to the rest of you.....To put it nicely, the pump filter is to course or the pump should pass the dirt that goes through it, an engineering oversight that wasted my day......

fpruter

TDI
2000 VW Jetta GL TDI
I have a 2000 VW Jetta TDI experiencing the same problem. Do you have any advice in taking off the "large black ring"? Mine seems to be ceased and I can't do it by hand

fpruter

TDI
2000 VW Jetta GL TDI
I think you are right. I pulled it out and there was not pump. I guess I'm off to figuring out why I don't have fuel in my lines...