Issues of trust...

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
How trustworthy is the VW claims portal site?

I'm looking at a few different 3L Gen 2's and every one I've entered shows the full restitution amount (7800-8200 bux) depending on the car. I am about to spring on one and would be pretty unhappy if I managed to overlook some detail and that restitution somehow falls through.

I understand the worse case scenario is that I get half upon 'operation fix' but would like to hear from those who have gone through the hoops.

Is it possible that a seller could file the paperwork in the last few days before a sale and not have that info appear on the VW claims site until the unwitting new owner attempted to file for it?

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Previous owners or lessees cannot file anymore. Deadline for submitting a claim was 5/1/17 and all supporting documents needed to have been filed by 7/17/17.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Previous owners or lessees cannot file anymore.
No, but current owners can, and 3.0 owners can get a "participation payment" (i.e., half the restitution) now. I think that's the scenario Manny's concerned about--I file with my Q5, get the participation payment, and turn around and immediately sell it. Depending on how up-to-date the claims portal is, the buyer may see that he'd be eligible for full restitution when he actually isn't.

Manny, I don't have an answer for you, other than that the participation payment isn't made without (as the last step) me taking the car to the dealer. So it couldn't be something where the owner/seller registers, then sells the car, then collects the payment they would have been eligible for.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Ugh, too much trouble and stuff to worry about. I'm just going to wait another year and get a 15 or 16 TReg thats got the vented seats and adaptive cruise. Just have a bad feeling about trying to sort all that stuff out. Meanwhile it feels like a bubble on the few cars left out there with restitution.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Ugh, too much trouble and stuff to worry about. I'm just going to wait another year and get a 15 or 16 TReg thats got the vented seats and adaptive cruise. Just have a bad feeling about trying to sort all that stuff out. Meanwhile it feels like a bubble on the few cars left out there with restitution.
It isn't difficult though, and like others have said the least you will see if you buy that 15/16 Touareg now is $4920. Spend 5 minutes in the portal and you could see $9841. I certainly wouldn't wait.

In the past three months I have purchased three Gen II 3.0 that had ALL of the VW money on them, that totals a VW payment of $30,843. Enough to outright pay for one of the three.

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Probably a similar bubble as what the 2.0s went through. BUT, I bet if you set up a craigslist alert you might get lucky. One advantage is the higher price point for them compared to the 2.0s; keeps the riffraff out.

And then when you get one you can sell me your 02 alh :rolleyes: cheers!

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
It isn't difficult though, and like others have said the least you will see if you buy that 15/16 Touareg now is $4920. Spend 5 minutes in the portal and you could see $9841. I certainly wouldn't wait.
The portal does NOT indicate if the previous owner has accepted the first half participation payment.

I just found a GEN 2 over the weekend, ran it through the portal, and the portal indicated that full restitution was available. However, when I contacted the seller, and asked if they had received any payments from VW, they indicated that they had received the first half participation payment two weeks ago.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
The portal does NOT indicate if the previous owner has accepted the first half participation payment.
I just found a GEN 2 over the weekend, ran it through the portal, and the portal indicated that full restitution was available. However, when I contacted the seller, and asked if they had received any payments from VW, they indicated that they had received the first half participation payment two weeks ago.
Exactly what I found a couple weeks ago...buyer beware!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Wanna add this VIN and check, it's a car I have taken the participation payment on WVGEP9BP7ED012058

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
Wanna add this VIN and check, it's a car I have taken the participation payment on WVGEP9BP7ED012058
I just checked and that VIN still shows full restitution.

Can anyone change the title of this thread to better indicate the topic being discussed?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I just checked and that VIN still shows full restitution.

Can anyone change the title of this thread to better indicate the topic being discussed?
Yowza, scary stuff. I got my half restitution back in July.

I also have two Gen II's that I haven't run to the dealership yet...

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
I would look at the carfax, if it was sold after July just ASSUME the first half is gone.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I would look at the carfax, if it was sold after July just ASSUME the first half is gone.
That would be the safest way!

And you might get a nice surprise if the money isnt all gone! :D