Place to get key cut? Don't want the big clunky fob.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
The one and only annoyance I have with the car is the big fob. I like my keys on a ring and only a few of them since I keep them in my pants pocket. Is there a place besides the dealer to have just the side cut key made?

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
The vw remote fob tucks the blade portion away when not in use.. the valet key is kinda big headed and the blade is always out. I don't see the win here!

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
fixmyvw.com looks to have the solution. Thanks. The $45 plus shipping price is a little hard to swallow though. I suppose that's coming from the perspective of normal hardware store key pricing where any half trained employ just runs the duplicator.

Steve6, I had Mercedes keys in the past where I took the rubber (or wood in some cases) off and used the key only. I could probably do that with the valet key. My old Ford keys are usually copies and pretty small. That's what I'm after.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your car should already have a valet key. The left the factory with one valet key and two fob keys.

The valet key will not work the glovebox, the inside trunk release lockout, the rear seat fold down lock, or the external trunk release. I have never had a use for any of those items anyway.

Just an FYI: if you have to normally lock and unlock your doors, you will be forced to do this manually with the valet key (obviously), and that means placing a lot more use on the microswitches for that purpose in the door latch. These are already somewhat fragile as it is, and you will be asking these components to do perhaps a much higher duty cycle than was perhaps intended.

I do not have any other keys on the key for my cars, I always have them on a separate keychain. I hate things dangling in the car. :cool: I find in this way, the fob works great. It is chunky enough that I can easily feel it in my pocket, yet when folded it not going to something sinister like poke me in the scrote.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
It is chunky enough that I can easily feel it in my pocket, yet when folded it not going to something sinister like poke me in the scrote.
That is funny! I like the fob too, but my car only came with one busted scrote saver and no poker. I got one valet for the beach however havin fixed the one fob I find the fob being closed handles a dunk in the water quite well. I Definitely don't recommend it, so that is why I like the valet. Most of the time the fob is best, although it doesn't do a think for my hatch.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Just an FYI: if you have to normally lock and unlock your doors, you will be forced to do this manually with the valet key (obviously), and that means placing a lot more use on the microswitches for that purpose in the door latch. These are already somewhat fragile as it is, and you will be asking these components to do perhaps a much higher duty cycle than was perhaps intended.
I had the opposite experience. After using the fob to lock for the 1st year of ownership (4 years ago), the door switch started to go south. I began using the valet key to manually lock and the switch has been on its best behavior for the last 3 years. I prefer the valet key anyway and will probably continue to use it even after I eventually have to replace the switch.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
The valet key will not work the glovebox, the inside trunk release lockout, the rear seat fold down lock, or the external trunk release.
If you grind down (or mill if you are so inclined) the edges of the valet key it will fit everything. If you look at the valet key vs the regular key you can see where it needs to be modified. About 2 minutes with a bench grinder and the valet key will work just fine.