www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 15th, 2016, 23:40   #1
patbob
Veteran Member

Default What if.. the "repair" is a new engine?

I've been thinking about what the possible repair might actually be. They can't make the engines comply with only some extra bits somewhere in the exhaust, bits that don't require pulling the engine, or that would be the solution and there would be no buyback. I suspect that they probably can't even make these engines comply -- a buyback is so extreme, that if they could make them comply, then they wouldn't be forced to do a buyback in addition to compensating buyers with the payout.

So, I suspect that whatever the solution will be, it will involve pulling the engine. I can't see them paying to have dealers pull engines of unknown condition and doing a bunch of hours of work to bring them into compliance. Besides, if reports are true, they already have a compliant engine all worked out and, most importantly, through emissions testing -- the same one they put in all those 2016s they can't sell.

So here's my what if.. what if, the way they decide to bring cars into compliance, is to put 2016 crate engines in them. That, and add a few extra bits and baubles like DEF tanks. I can see that being work a dealership could do without costing VW tons of money. Would a remedy like that affect anybody's decision on whether they want to opt for the buyback vs. the repair?

Anybody have any insight into VW operations? Are they cranking out diesel engines like they're going out of style?
Old August 16th, 2016, 00:55   #2
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

Nope...would be cheaper for them to buy them back, crush the car and give you the $$.
Reality is they just have to get "close enough" on the TEST CAR....if the fix is approved, then they install it in other cars....they are NOT individually tested...the plan is already to just get to a point they are good enough, then do offsets to reduce pollution in other areas to nullify the fact the fix is not quite up to the rules....
One more thing to consider....the transmissions have different gear ratios to match the different tq bands on the new motors...so the ENTIRE DRIVETRAIN would need to be swapped.....
So perhaps your idea is an interesting possibility, but I would consider it to be on the outlandish side and so unlikely that it would be a fantasy to consider a reL possibility unless intoxicated or smoking something you bought in Colorado....
Hey...I just call them as I see them...dropping a new drivetrain in a car vw can FORCE a buyback for less would seem to be a no-starter...
And the 2016 motors are the same as the 2015....the ea-288....they were decertified and would need the fix just like the 2015 cars....so think the logic is kinda flawed....

Last edited by ZippyNH; August 16th, 2016 at 00:58.
ZippyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 03:38   #3
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Nope...would be cheaper for them to buy them back, crush the car and give you the $$.<snip>
I agree with this. I don't think such a move as installing a new drivetrain (and, obviously, a DEF system, etc.) could possibly be cost-effective.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 04:58   #4
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbob View Post
.....They can't make the engines comply with only some extra bits somewhere in the exhaust, bits that don't require pulling the engine, .....

This is not obvious. (likely is not true at all)

it seems they have fixes in mind for all the cars, and are working through final approval.

the reason there is a buyback, is that EPA/CARB pushed them for it, considering both the cheat, and the years of claiming clean diesel.. even qualified/pushed for tax credits for the cars under the guise of clean and efficient diesels.

expect the buyback to be a choice, one you can wait to make until seeing what the impact of the fix is to your particular model car.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:32   #5
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Wishful thinking.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:32   #6
S2000_guy
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that, at least for the Gen1 cars, the fix only has to reduce emissions enough to comply with negotiated, relaxed standard. The fixed cars don't have to comply with the letter of the law.

Since the OP discusses adding a DEF tank, I assume he's talking about Gen 1 cars.
S2000_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:47   #7
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

The general description of the proposed fixes is all spelled out in the consent decree. No new engines. It's ALL explained in there. Only thing remaining is for VW to prove it works.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 23:08   #8
patbob
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
.. all spelled out in the consent decree. No new engines.
Fair enough.. I hadn't slogged through the entire 250 pages of legalese to find that tidbit.

Thanks all for responding and educating me