www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old October 14th, 2010, 14:12   #1
Guttboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Seeing AVG at 48.4 (mix hwy/cty)
Default 2005.5 engine "hesitation" while driving?

Hi Everyone, It is good to be back here in the forums!

Here is the issue I currently have on my 2005.5 Jetta TDI: When driving in all conditions and I have the cruise control on it seems as though the engine "hesitates" or "burps" when driving along. It feels like an immediate loss of power for half a second and then is fine. I also noticed this when driving without the cruise control on and it is the exact same feeling. This has been going on for about 3 months now.

The other issue that I am noticing is that the car seems to "vibrate" or "pulse" when stopped at a light. It is a very very slight vibration throughout the car when sitting at a stop light. It does not occur all of the time but has been going on for about a month now.

Thanks again for the assistance....it is much appreciated!

PS...I have tried several different fuel stations for diesel and does not appear to be fuel related as far as I can tell. The "hiccup" is as if power was taken away from the engine for a fraction of a second. This is a manual transmission as well.

Last edited by Guttboy; October 14th, 2010 at 14:29.
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 18:09   #2
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

Not sure about the hesitation issue, so I'll refrain from guessing.
Regarding the vibration/shaking at a stop light: How many miles? Is your DMF original?
A worn DMF will shake the vehicle after disengaging clutch or neutral on a DSG, which is most noticable after vehicle stops moving.
MyAvocation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 21:10   #3
benpfree
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005.5 jetta

I have the same issue with my 2005.5 jetta. I started this thread recently:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296449
I haven't been able to find anything conclusive yet. I'm going to have my car looked at given the few suggestions I've had on the forum so far. I will post results when/if I have any.
Old October 14th, 2010, 21:15   #4
Henrick
Veteran Member

Sometimes I have this issue too but mine isn't with DMF but SMF. So I decided this must be probably fueling dependant...
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:33   #5
Guttboy
Veteran Member

Thanks Folks! Appreciate the response. MYAV, I have the original DMF....the car has 78K miles on it. Benpfree and Henrick I am going to check out the thread Benpfree put up and see if that gets me closer to a solution. A more accurate description of the "hiccup" it feels as if the car comes out of gear or if it was a bad shift on an automatic car if that makes sense. Thanks!
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:01   #6
Jnitrofish
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Bad on short trips, good on long trips.

And my car does that little intermittent vibration at idle at stoplights (link in my sig). If its not the DMF (since its intermittent and also on cars with SMF's, thats more likely), it seems that it may be the fluid dampened motor/tranny mounts showing their age, as theinternot fixed his vibe by replacing his that leaked.
[ 2005.5 :: 06/05 Jetta 5m Franko6 BEW Cam/Malone Tuned - Equipped for towing (Bosal/Airlift/Tekonsha) || 2005.5 :: 05/05 Jetta 5m Tuned (Wife's Car) || 2006 :: 02/06 Jetta DSG Malone Tuned (Dad's Car) ]
[ 4 TDI tally: 4 cam jobs, 5 timing belts, 4 alternator pulleys, 2 DMF, 1 G60/VR6, 1 Jetta ] [ Explained engine vibration
]
Jnitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:06   #7
flyvsdrive

I was having this identical problem on my 2005.5 Jetta 5 spd. It began around 130,000 miles on the odometer. While cruising at a steady speed, the car would lose power for about 1 or 2 seconds then regain power. It would not kick the cruise offline. A few months later at 134,000 miles, while climbing hills on cruise at a steady speed (typically around 60 - 65 mph), the car would lose power and the cruise would go offline. The car would remain at low power with no cruise available until I restarted then everything was back to normal. Finally at 135,000 miles an early morning start was accompanied by the tell-tale "lupping" sound with metallic ticking sounds above 2000 RPM. It's as if a switch had been flipped overnight. It turned out the cam was the cause for the sounds.

New cam is in but I'm still having some low boost problems. After looking around, I've determined that the turbo's vane actuator has failed -- it doesn't hold vacuum pressure. So, that could have been a cause for the drops in power. Check your actuator and see if it will hold vacuum pressure and if the actuator rod will extend when vacuum is applied. Should be fully extended at 20" vacuum.

Last edited by flyvsdrive; October 15th, 2010 at 12:09. Reason: clarification
flyvsdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 23:24   #8
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

Now that you've mentioned turbo actuator, regarding hesitation, I remember reading a thread on it. I believe either MOGolf or DieselDorf posting steps to isolate this, so do a search.
MyAvocation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:03   #9
Guttboy
Veteran Member

I will check on the turbo actuator. Just completed a 1200 mile trip up to Denver to see Nickelback in concert (great show btw) and the car did great but a SLEW of issues are coming up with regards to it. I TOTALLY forgot that I have an extended warranty through Warranty Direct that takes me to 100K and 7 years. So I am well within that. Literally within the past 3 months several issues have arisen. The driver door will not lock all the time with the key FOB now. It takes a twist of the key in the lock to secure the car. It think it is time to exercise the warranty now! Flyvsdrive....I have no metalic sounds at all. Simply the hesitation that may indeed be the turbo actuator....I will look on the thread about hesitation and take a peek! Thanks folks will report back with my findings!
Old October 20th, 2010, 17:28   #10
Windjammer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 & Mk5

How many miles on the fuel filter? If it's more than about 15,000 I'd change it.
06 Jetta TDI White w/Beige Pkg 2 DSG
06 Jetta TDI Black w/Beige Pkg 0 5MT
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 19:15   #11
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

Do not overlook the pump in tank. I had 2 BEW's do this so far and both ended up needing a pump.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:39   #12
dae06
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttboy View Post
The driver door will not lock all the time with the key FOB now. It takes a twist of the key in the lock to secure the car.
I would wager a bet that this is a frayed wire in your drivers side door harness. This happened to me along with the fuel door not opening, windows and interior lights working intermittently for me. I tore it apart and spliced the ground wire and all is fine (for now).

I too have experienced the engine hiccup. I'll be interested to see what the culprit is.
dae06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 17:12   #13
lil' Smoker

Any resolution to this issue yet? I'm working on this problem as well with my '06 jetta. After an extensive chat with my VW dealer's service manager, I removed the valve cover and took a look at the cam. My cam is galled very bad on 3 or 4 of the lobes and the followers are not in good shape either... So back to the conversation with the service manager at the dealer, he has had numerous complaints of this and it has been the same thing over and over for the most part. He took a guess of what the problem is and explained what to look for under the valve cover. Might be something you could check out too if the problem is still present. took me about 45 min start to finish to find my issue.
lil' Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 08:03   #14
MkVer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Low/Mid 40's @ 7000ft MSL

The idle shudder is pretty common. There are quite a few threads on the issue. Some chip tunes address/solve the issue. Otherwise you'll need to to get VagCom and possibly get under the hood*, thats if you want to "fix" it.

* http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ght=rough+idle