BBS Help

Dave128

TDI
96 passat B4V
I picked up a set of 14" BBS RA wheels for my B4V. I need to buy some longer stud bolts. I can't tell if the wheels need the ball type or cone type. The wheel holes seems somewhat rounded but being so old, I am not sure if it is just wear. Any ideas??

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If they're really BBS RA from a VW (originally) then they will have ball studs.

Be aware that these wheels are very soft and bend easily. Finding straight ones now is almost impossible and I'm not sure I would run them on a B4. The Passat is somewhat more heavy than the Mk2 cars these wheels originally came on.

I hope before you bought them you had them spun so you could visually see that they're not bent.

Steve

Dave128

TDI
96 passat B4V
Thanks for the information. I had them at a wheel shop and they are now straight. He thought they may have come from a BMW since the offset is 30 and not 38.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks for the information. I had them at a wheel shop and they are now straight. He thought they may have come from a BMW since the offset is 30 and not 38.
BBS made a ton of these in all sorts of widths / offsets so although these were used as OE on some cars it doesn't mean the set you have originally came fitted to particular car.

If the spokes are beveled back toward the center of the wheel then it sounds like they might be VW (or VW style) but the offset of 30 is inconsistent with what one would find on a VW.

Again be very careful with these, they are probably the softest wheel I've ever run across although the Estoril wheel for the B3 Passat runs a close second.

Hope they work out for you.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
VW’s RAs were marked “VW”. The bolts are definitely ball seat and are crazy long.

-Todd