www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old July 28th, 2018, 04:22   #1
rob23

Default OBDeleven output test stops engine

Hi, I have a question, when doing output tests with the OBDeleven, should the engine stop? when it tested the EGR cooler switch over valve the engine stopped. I've attached a screen shot of the test which stopped the engine.

A bit of background to the cars fault, engine stopped running at lows revs and wouldn't re start, i thought i traced the problem to a fuel pump relay as when i wired the tank pump direct to 12v the car started and ran fine, re starting and idling/ revving without fault.
Since then the car has broken down again, it seems to be when decelerating without throttle. Recovery guy came out and sprayed easi start into the air inlet and after some cranking it started and stayed running until my wife slowed down to a junction, this happened a few more times on the 5 mile journey home, every time easi start was used to get it running.

I connected the obdeleven in last night to the car and it showed a whole host of faults, engine control module, heated rear window, interior monitoring sensors and a few more which i thought is very peculiar. I assume the recovery guy didn't take any relays out as my wife said all he did was spray easi start into the air inlet and it started.
The car starts fine now will rev and idle with no problem again but i'm sure it'll pack up again.

I don't think it's the tandem pump as its intermittent and starts fine when it does. The tank pump works fine. I'm sure its electrical, perhaps something shorting out the ECM, could that stop the engine? Would a crankshaft position sensor show a fault on the reader?

Thanks for reading such a lengthy post i'm baffled as to what this could be and am open to any suggestions.
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote