Adaptive Cruise

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just a question of curiosity. Since new cars now have the option of adaptive cruise control, has anyone ever tried to retrofit this?:rolleyes:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
One thing to keep in mind, if this would work the same way as the radar cruise in my father's '16 Passat, is that the VW radar cruise can't bring the car to a complete stop. At 20 MPH the cruise cancels (and will stop braking).

-J

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
For what it's worth I think there are a few different styles of adaptive cruise control, sensors have changed the position, up top by the head liner and then down in the lower grill and now the Mk7.5 has the sensor in the VW logo in the grill.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Many cars today have 2 sensors - my ELR is like this. There's a Bosch radar up front someplace, usually behind the emblem, and a Mobile Eye camera up by the rear view mirror.

-J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't believe VW's adaptive cruise control uses vision. It does not perform as well as many other competing products on the market right now because it's purely radar based, which leaves a lot of room for error and strange system behavior.

Still, it would be interesting to know if it's possible to retrofit onto a vehicle that didn't come with it.