06 MK4 TDi, car on stop, engine hesitate, RPM jumping

bigHUN

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf Mk4 TDi GLS BEW 5sp
started maybe a month ago, stopped on trafic light and I could feel how the engine is "shaking".
since I replaced all the filters, oilchange, behaving the same. Like on the gas engine one of the plugs not working..
Seem to me that during driving the power and acceleration is good.
I can not notice that something is "out of tune" on cold engine but on warmed up engine definitelly the hesitation is there on every stops, SG2 shows about 50 plus minus RPM fluctation.
It si a 06 model but I've pushed the Km over 90K (all Hwy's) so out of warranty.
Is there anything I can check alone or shall take it to VW.
Not sure that I have a guru here locally (L4G7X4) North from Toronto.
Any advise?

bigHUN

Veteran Member
TDI
Didn't scan it yet, don't have VAG-com. Was thinking but finally ended up buying SG2.
My budget limited, specially in this time of the year.
what is CAL/MIL? that is my stupid question.
SG2 shows no error, unly thing I can add its winter, cWT looks OK. LPK is rumping up and down, still with first tank to finetune, power OK with high rev.
need a guru for 06 TDi North from Toronto.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
CEL = Check Engine Light, more properly called the MIL, Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

Many OBDII readers can't get the full story from the engine computer. You need to get it scanned with Vag-Com. Check the Ontario-specific forum to find somebody nearby with it.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
bigHUN said:
no check engine light, no error codes
Wrong. Many codes are stored without tripping the check engine light. And a lot of them will put your car into limp mode.

Last edited:

bigHUN

Veteran Member
TDI
this my 06 Golf MK4 TDi is BEW, the parts look different than what I could find on forums.
My EGR is (black and plastic looking) behind-below, and would need more time and effort to free up space to get down there.
Just did a quick disconnect of the big rubber hose (cooler side), moove a- side, its "fat" black, I would not believe that the 90K can do it. The throttle flap is kind a brown-black no deposites yet mooving easily. Tried to move the EGR rod with my finger (how much I could reach), it's stack or at least very stiff. Need more room for that.
one day this week I will try to diss mount the #%$ thing and do some washing. Best guess will not take off the whole intake, lot of staff there what don't see how was attached (8.00 Pm in my garage, this my light is not enough).
Could be the EGR doing hasitation-shaking-negotiating a whole engine in iddle?

wrenchman30

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 gray 2006 dark blue
yes if it is stuck open its dumping too much exhaust gas into the intake and choking the air off. if it is like my brm engine there is three t25 screws that hold it in place and it just slides out. really easy to get off. part number ends in 502

bigHUN

Veteran Member
TDI
didn't toke it out yet, but will soon, maybe tomorrow morning.
if it stuck could be clean it (soak it in to some solvent?) or need a new part?

bigHUN

Veteran Member
TDI
interesting,
I toke a Hwy today, some 600 Km trip (lot of clear road here in Ontario), perfect for setting the SG2 (second tank filled since SG2 connected), tune it to my GPS (actually both the GPS and the SG2 showed the same, the stock odo was off by 5-6Km showing more).
Seem to me the steady 3000 RPM (142Km/h) in fift gear there and back cleaned the intake-EGR, didn't noticed the engine hesitation when we stoped. Anyway, will do some "washing" these days just to make sure.