Looking for a guru

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey everyone, I currently live in Abilene, Ks and my tdi is having some issues. I seem to be low on power, not limp mode, and today while my husband was driving it the airbag light came on, and then the speedometer got stuck at 65, and he lost radio and cruise. He says it is also sounding off. I have not had a chance to take a look because I am out of town, it may be the alternator, but I feel like with the loss of power we've been experiencing there is something else going on. I don't have any free time in the near future to look at her, and the local mechanics freak out if I try to bring it to them. I am looking to see if there is a guru near me who I could hire to take a look ar her and fix her up.
Thanks!

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
In an old thread you said you had VCDS software. You are out of town. Does hubby have the inclination or ability to hook up the VCDS and pull the codes?

TDI
2001 Jetta
So I got the vcds codes back, and there were the normal ones for the girl, but it was also throwing an intermittent error for the alternator, which based on the symptoms my husband described I believe to be the culprit. (I have also determined the sound he was hearing was coming from the blower motor, that I knew was beginning to go out).

I am thinking the loss of power is either a gummed up intake, or a gummed up turbo, both of which I am waiting to check and address for when I do the timing in 30,000 miles.