www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 9th, 2018, 01:59   #16
race777

Please let us know what fixes it, i have the similar hiccup at similar rpm 1975 to 2375 at light throttle and its quite abrupt back and forth in seat, been that way since i bought it, its a 2.0 bkd, and you can accelerate out of it, and i also get a little more black smoke upon heavy acceleration than it should, no hiccups at anything over 130km/hr ...so it will be interesting what you find.....did your hiccup clear up on its own while still under light throttle

My 2.0 bkd has it in rearseal not sure on the bmm

Last edited by race777; July 9th, 2018 at 02:11. Reason: More info
race777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 02:11   #17
Medzid22

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Bad EGR even if it was NEW.

The car just ''don't like'' it. I dissconected it and the accel is smooth as Bethowens simphony, no hiccups, hesitate nothing it drives like a dream ) It's easy to test just unplug the el. jack from the EGR and take a spin. Will try a complete new EGR again, if it happens again then I will remove it completley (softwer delete).

Again thanks everyone for your time, advacies and sugestions. Cheeers ))

Last edited by Medzid22; July 12th, 2018 at 02:49.
Medzid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 03:13   #18
Medzid22

Race777 my hiccups were on a light throtle (city driving when I need to drive litlle faster, highway when I drive on a constant speed and give the car a litlle push) and very litlle black smoke on really heavy accel.
I have written what was the problem (post before).
I 've put a complete new EGR ventile the day I first got the hiccups. My old egr had some error and the hiccups were terible, almost unable to drive. After that I placed a new egr and they happend not so usual as before but still they were there. No error codes, all was clean, all hoses were tight and in their place, everything was perfect but the car still used to hiccup,hesitate, jump on accel. Today I just unpluged the EGR (two lights came up on the board because of that, nothing serious) and took a spin. The engine was "fluid as milk".... no hiccups, no smoke. It drives like a dream. So my conclusion is that the EGR is a litlle ***** witch I will remove completley if the second new EGR makes the same things again.

You can test it also by unplugin it and taking a spin. After that you can connect it again and you will need just someone with a diagnostic device to delete the errors( if they don't delete themselfs)...

Last edited by Medzid22; July 9th, 2018 at 03:18.
Old July 9th, 2018, 03:22   #19
Medzid22

I will still test the car for 2-3days by driving with the EGR unpluged then I'll try another new EGR if it happens again then "hello software remove"
Old July 10th, 2018, 07:09   #20
Medzid22

Another update... So my problem is 1000% with the EGR valve, as soon as I plug it on the car hiccups/hesitates. When I unplug it the car drives like a dream. Soo I will perform a complete EGR software remove. Hope my problem wich I solved will help someone else too
Old July 11th, 2018, 23:48   #21
race777

Removed and plugged the vacuum line to egr valve and no more hiccups, pulled over and plugged it back in and hiccups came back , so thanks for the help diagnosing.
Old July 12th, 2018, 02:48   #22
Medzid22

Quote:
Originally Posted by race777 View Post
Removed and plugged the vacuum line to egr valve and no more hiccups, pulled over and plugged it back in and hiccups came back , so thanks for the help diagnosing.
You are welcome, glad I was able to help you
I will perform an EGR sofwtare delete on mine. I tried a second new EGR (under waranty) and had the same hiccups again. No EGR - no problem!
Cheers bro ����✌

Last edited by Medzid22; July 12th, 2018 at 02:59.
Old July 12th, 2018, 03:17   #23
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Your problem lies elsewhere, the EGR being operational is just pushing it over the edge.
Old July 12th, 2018, 04:34   #24
Medzid22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Your problem lies elsewhere, the EGR being operational is just pushing it over the edge.

Maybe an ECU remap would fix it, beacuse the ecu is controling when the egr will open and close... But for now unplugin it is the easiest way...
Car runs fine like butter without it )
Old July 12th, 2018, 04:53   #25
oilhammer

I do not think you are understanding. The fact that the engine "runs fine" without the EGR plugged in, doesn't necessarily mean the EGR valve is the problem. And the fact that you tried yet another new EGR valve and it still does the same thing kind of confirms that.

It is more likely that something like the MAF is sending an incorrect value, and since the ECU uses that as its primary means of working the EGR valve.... it won't be able to properly work the EGR valve... which means the engine can run poorly. And even tuning the EGR out of the ECU's operational strategy may not actually do justice if it is still using the incorrect MAF data.

It is like saying "my engine has low power, so I am going to put a bigger turbo on it" when the reason the engine had low power in the first place is because there is low compression in two of four cylinders. A bigger turbo may make a sick engine make more power, but it is still a sick engine.

This is why the tuners get so frustrated, because they by proxy get drug into chasing some driveability problem that was there before OR suddenly showed up after the fact that the tune only made worse. I get a half dozen or more sick TDIs in here a year with owners asking for "chips, remaps, tunes" etc. and I always, ALWAYS, evaluate the health of their engine BEFOREHAND before doing anything like that. If you are not starting with 100%, you cannot expect more than 100%.

Now I admit, I am not familiar with your particular engine, as VAG never sold such an animal here, nor anything like it, I can only relate some general basic method of operation as applied to VAG diesels. However, the common sense rule always holds true, and trying to go about it some back door way is not really the best way to address a driveability issue.

Last edited by oilhammer; July 12th, 2018 at 05:08.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:39   #26
Medzid22

I totally agrre about everything you said and understand that. And the two sensors were the first things I've checked after the hiccup started. But my MAF and MAP sensors are clean and healthy. Also the injectors are showing good on the vcds
( if its not lying). As soon as I unpluged it I've got my old car back (before the rebuild) powerfull, smooth, without any hesitate or smoke. My problem wasn't so much about power. The hiccups were the problem when driving, overtaking or trying to get in the traffic. The only thing the EGR valve, as far I'm familiar with it, is to recilculate the exhaust gases back again instead of letting them go dircetly to the exhaust (at least on diesel engines) . For me it's like eating something, throw out and eat it again... You can't feel good at all after that. Same as the engine, instead of getting cold and fresh air in it gets warm and crapy air again wich had already been in the engine.
It can be fixed by driving the car while its plugged in on the diagnostic so the specialized mechanic can edit the opening and closing but it takes a lot of time, money and uneccesary waste of fuel...

So I've decided to remove it (only softwer delte) because even if I fixed it I wonder how much would it take until the same hiccups came back.
I appreciate your respond .
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:47   #27
oilhammer

EGR actually lowers combustion temps, just FYI. That is its sole purpose. Displaces oxygen. Under high load demand, it is off anyway. I suspect something is causing a higher-than-normal duty cycle in your engine, causing the issue you are having.

Not saying to delete it or not, just saying I would want to be sure of everything else first.

Last edited by oilhammer; July 12th, 2018 at 06:50.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 02:53   #28
race777

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
EGR actually lowers combustion temps, just FYI. That is its sole purpose. Displaces oxygen. Under high load demand, it is off anyway. I suspect something is causing a higher-than-normal duty cycle in your engine, causing the issue you are having.

Not saying to delete it or not, just saying I would want to be sure of everything else first.

Can you expand on what you mean by a higher than normal duty cycle?