I am about to pull out all of my hair

alexwithlonghair

TDI
2013 Passat, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I am at my wit's end and absolutely cannot get these settlement papers finalized.

Long story short, Mom bought two cars in 2012 Jetta and 2013 Passat. She couldn't figure out how to do this whole settlement thing (English is like her 5th language), so she sold me the cars a couple of months ago.

I'm near the end, I believe, and it says they want Bill of Sale, so I followed someone's advice here and uploaded a CarFax report (that I spent $60 on) and now it's saying "Incorrect document" for my 2013 Passat.

On top of that, it also wanted "Previous Registration" for both cars, so I bought their registration forms from the DMV (as per another user's advice from this forum which worked for them), and now it's also saying "Incorrect Document" for both cars. Before that, I did upload an actual old registration for the 2013 Passat, but it said the wrong name was on it. I can't find the actual old registration for the 2012 Jetta (who keeps those???) but it probably wouldn't work anyway.

I've perused these forums for hours to find help but nothing is working, and now I have absolutely no clue what to do now going forward.

Please help. S.O.S.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I am at my wit's end and absolutely cannot get these settlement papers finalized.<snip>
I've perused these forums for hours to find help but nothing is working, and now I have absolutely no clue what to do now going forward.
Please help. S.O.S.
You appear to be working with the CA DMV. I had one experience with that particular agency 20 years ago in attempting to wind up my uncle's estate. All I can say is that you have my sympathy, and you might want to consider strong drink.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
patience and persistence, have you tried calling the 1800 number?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Did you register both cars under your own personal name? If so, none of those things should have been requested by VW.

When did your mom buy these cars? Are they clean title or salvage? Were they leased or not?

No idea why would you send a CarFax instead of bill of sale... there are 100 free bill of sale templates online, print your favorite one and fill it out.

alexwithlonghair

TDI
Did you register both cars under your own personal name? If so, none of those things should have been requested by VW.

When did your mom buy these cars? Are they clean title or salvage? Were they leased or not?

No idea why would you send a CarFax instead of bill of sale... there are 100 free bill of sale templates online, print your favorite one and fill it out.
Hi there, yes I have them both under my full personal name. They still asked me for everything and then some. :confused::confused:

My mom bought them during their model years brand new. Not salvaged or anything at all. No lease, just straight purchases.

Thanks for the recommendation about the bill of sale. I will try that and see what happens.

alexwithlonghair

TDI
You appear to be working with the CA DMV. I had one experience with that particular agency 20 years ago in attempting to wind up my uncle's estate. All I can say is that you have my sympathy, and you might want to consider strong drink.
My choice is anything with whiskey. Either sour or froofy; hate the bitter tasting ones.

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
Thanks. I've been reading that the phone numbers don't really help, so I'm continuing to look for answers. :(
Don’t waste other people’s time by just making assumptions. Call the 800 number first and explain your situation. If escalation is required then there is lawyers contact info in the forum you can reach out to.

Also, haven’t you registered the car on your name when you first bought the car from your mom? I think VW wants current registration to ensure it is drivable or in use.

Carfax is not a bill of sale. Just print a bill of sale (there are literally 100s of format them online. Try google?) your mom can sign on.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
I have also found the even with the CA DMV, and all other customer service operations, if you don't listen to what they ask for they get very stubborn. Considering all the stupid people they deal with hourly, they aren't that bad.

And I have had a bunch of really goofy transactions.

Last edited:

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Hi there, yes I have them both under my full personal name. They still asked me for everything and then some. :confused::confused:
My mom bought them during their model years brand new. Not salvaged or anything at all. No lease, just straight purchases.
Thanks for the recommendation about the bill of sale. I will try that and see what happens.
Just call the claims line or chat session and see what they want. The ID, registration, and title (pink slip) that you uploaded to the claims portal should all have the same name on them. If the title is clean there should be no issue.