Mk5 brm battery dying

Matthewsz

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 09 wagon
Hi all, I have this Jetta that had a bad alternator pulley and battery issues. After I replaced the pulley, the battery seemed to last longer, but it still dies after a few days if it doesn't get disconnected.
The car only gets driven 2.7miles one way to work and then back. Sometimes even shorter trips.
I don't know exactly if the draining started around the same time as the old pulley noise.
Is this more likely an unrelated slow draining issue, or since the battery went flat a couple times it got ruined and the short trips can't charge it good enough?
There's plenty of voltage when running.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Hi all, I have this Jetta that had a bad alternator pulley and battery issues. After I replaced the pulley, the battery seemed to last longer, but it still dies after a few days if it doesn't get disconnected.
The car only gets driven 2.7miles one way to work and then back. Sometimes even shorter trips.
I don't know exactly if the draining started around the same time as the old pulley noise.
Is this more likely an unrelated slow draining issue, or since the battery went flat a couple times it got ruined and the short trips can't charge it good enough?
There's plenty of voltage when running.

I would have the alternator tested and the battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Are you arming the alarm when this happens? How is the status LED when arming? A failed door switch will prevent the car from "sleeping" and may drain a weak batyery overnoght

Matthewsz

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 09 wagon
Are you arming the alarm when this happens? How is the status LED when arming? A failed door switch will prevent the car from "sleeping" and may drain a weak batyery overnoght
Yes, however only one door needs a fix and that's been like that since I bought the car, so I think something else happened. My 09 also has at least one bad door lock and it doesn't drain. I'll have to look at the led status.