Need tail-light bulb schematic 2002 Jetta

csteve

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan 5-Speed
My driver's side tail-light is out, but my braking lights work.
According to Sylvania my tail-light is a 5007. But when I removed the bulb (the middle one of the three) it was a 7506, which is supposed to be the braking light.
So either the dealer replaced the tail-light bulb with the wrong bulb previously, or I yanked the wrong bulb. While I am leaning toward the former, I am wondering if someone here knows which bulb belongs where.

It certainly appears the the light that is "out" is the middle of the three.
thanks.

2002 Jetta Sedan 5-speed TDI

csteve

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan 5-Speed
Thanks Jason.
To be safe, I bought both bulbs at the AutoZone. It turned out it was the bottom bulb (the 5007) that was out. Sylvania and teh dealer were right

I put in a replacement and it burned out immediately. :-(

The second seemed okay, though. I just got my inspection sticker, so I am AOK for another year. :)

There is a recall on the Brake Light Switch which I haven't done yet. I wonder if that is part of the problem I am having.

Thanks again.

csteve

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan 5-Speed
Wow, having trouble with lights (failed inspection) and googled for help and came to my own post from 2008.
I guess this is what you call a chronic problem.
What is RF in the above picture? Rear fender? And what bulb should it be.
The two bulbs on the bottom are out, on both sides. If it’s not the bulbs, what would be the next logical thing to check? Could they be on their own fuse?
Ironically, what I described then is still the case. The turn signal bulbs were different on the left and right sides.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
RF = rear fog. It's not used on the USA market cars, so there will only be one bulb in the bottom row of the lamp holder.

-J

csteve

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan 5-Speed
Actually I do have two bulbs on the bottom row. I thought there was only one, too. I was surprised when I heard a bulb shatter as I was pulling out the assembly.

Last edited:

csteve

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan 5-Speed
So I’ve changed the fuse and the bulbs. The wiring looks ok. Since On both sides The two lower Bulbs are out I’m thinking it is a single cause. Any ideas on what I can do next?

csteve

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan 5-Speed
How does the switch for reverse lights get triggered? I’m thinking if it’s not the bulb or fuse, then whatever triggers the light to turn on could be the problem. Is there something I can check and how would I test it? Thx

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The trigger for the reverse lights is the reverse light switch, which is on the transmission near where the shift linkages attach.

csteve

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan 5-Speed
So I ordered the switch, removed battery etc to install, and the wires going to the connector were floating. Since I had a new switch I removed the old one and ordered a new connector and wire from idparts. Now a have a question on installing the connector.

I am assuming that I need to splice to the two wires that are there. So I will cut the wire they send me in half, install the two wire connector ends to the connector. But what is the best way for splicing in this situation? I’m assuming wirenuts are a no go. Do I twist together and fold over and maybe use the shrink tube and tape the hell out of it? What is the proper way to make a repair here?

I tried following the wire that is there but it disappeared. I’m assuming it is going all the way back to the reverse lights.