Brake Question - How to remove washers on the intake line?

DeanOusterhout

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, sold the 2000 golf and jetta
I replaced my calipers and they came with new copper washers, but I couldn't get the old washers off the top and bottom of the bolt that fastens the line to the caliper.

Is there a trick to getting them off? They look to be the original aluminum washers. One of the lines is leaking slightly and I really want to replace them.

Thanks,
Dean

gerrywac

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MkV 1.9 TDI Match 105Hp (UK Model)
They're just soft washers (copper or ally) that crush to seal when the banjo bolt is tightened through into the calliper. They tend to stick over years as they ordinarily never get removed.

Carefully using the edge of a sharp knife blade at the junction to lever them apart will normally work. Don't wiggle the blade keep it flat to the side of the hose end

Sometimes when people disconnect for some reason they re-use the old washers and because they have hardened up from the first fitting they don't crush and seal properly giving a small leak. This often happens with the sump plug when an oil change is done if a new washer isn't used

If you ever need to re-use a copper sealing washer in an emergency you can soften them again by heating red hot with a torch and quenching in water

macoombi

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
On one of my rear calipers I held the washers with vice grips and turned (and turned and turned...) the banjo bolt until I got the washers off. It damaged the threads on the banjo bolt but I cleaned them up and then found that the copper washers supplied with the new calipers didn't fit. I tried to reuse the original crush washers but they leaked right away.

VW wants you to replace the whole section of brake line (about $75 at my dealer). They're $58 or $53 depending on the side at ID Parts:
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_70&products_id=2562

It appears that ECS Tuning sells the copper washers in case you can't source them locally:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--TDI/Braking/Lines/ES248871/

I tried at my local Napa and they were useless so I had to break down and pay the dealer extortion.

This link shows the line with the washers and banjo bolts attached to the line:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--TDI/Braking/Lines/ES2434/

DeanOusterhout

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, sold the 2000 golf and jetta
Thanks Gerrywac and macombi. I took the offending bolt off last night to clean and it had a small residue that I removed, reattached, and seems to have solved the leak issue. we shall see. I did see the lines from ECS and if I need to replace, will use those as I may replace the washers, versus the built in washers on the OEM line.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Anybody have some other ideas on a safe removal of the crush washers? This thread came up on a google search.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They come made on the line. I never mess with them. Just make sure everything is clean when you go back together.