TSB: Front Fender Corrosion at Wheel Opening

mag2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5spd
Anybody having rust at the rear of the front fender/front of the front door? I have it starting there, is there anything that can be done? It actually looks to be coming from the inside. My fenders acutally look good.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
That is the termite nest from behind the fender liner. All the junk from the windshield or around the wipers washes down the side, inside the fender, and collects at the bottom because VW designed no way for it to get out. So leaves, dirt, sand, mud, salt, bird droppings - anything - will collect there and become a breeding ground for iron termites that will eat your car.

To have a chance, you'll need to pull the fender liner and wash it out. If rust is already starting, then you'll need to do something to remove the rust and reseal the affected areas.

BTW: apparently VWs have done this for years, yet VWAG does nothing to fix it. "german engineering". Yeah, right.

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Just undo the 2 or 3 lower fender liner torx screws, lift out the liner at the bottom, and scrape out the crud. You can do this with the wheels on. Takes a couple of minutes per side. I do this twice a year.

I will spray out with a garden hose nozzle sometimes when I do this.

--Nate

dr.zed

Veteran Member
I had this issue and a few months before I sold my 03 TDI the dealer replaced the two fenders and painted them for free. I only covered $50 in rental car. Not a bad deal!

One side wasn't even corroded but he did it anyway.

dhbear

TDI
2002 Golf
I found corrosion on the passenger side last year. Took it to my dealer (expecting to get nowhere as usual). But they had the rep look at it and repaired under warranty. It may have helped that when I described the problem to the service person, I mentioned that I knew there was a TSB on this issue.

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
I may have to come north and see that service person. I met the local dealer in August, filled out the papers and had pictures taken and was told "We'll contact you." Sure. Went back again early February and they looked panicked and embarrassed. Still no call from the rep.
Anyone know who to call?

dieselmacht

TDI
99.5 Audi A4 Avant
Can someone tell me (sorry if it's mentioned in the thread, I didn't have time to read the whole thing) if the issue would still be covered if I'm the second owner of a 2000 golf, with 200,000+ miles? I also have some perforation in the hatch area, which has already been repaired once (albeit poorly) by the dealer, and now it's rusting again.

I have the typical fender rust mentioned.

Jeece

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5 TDI
dieselmacht said:
Can someone tell me (sorry if it's mentioned in the thread, I didn't have time to read the whole thing) if the issue would still be covered if I'm the second owner of a 2000 golf, with 200,000+ miles? I also have some perforation in the hatch area, which has already been repaired once (albeit poorly) by the dealer, and now it's rusting again.

I have the typical fender rust mentioned.
I'm in Canada, but I think the same conditions applies below the border.

The rusted front fenders were fixed free of charge on my 300000km+, 99.5 Jetta. I'm also at least the 3rd owner of the car. May depend on how your dealer feels/interpret the TSB, but mine explained there was a few conditions not written on the TSB... here's a few I remember:

-Car must not have been in an front end accident/have a salvage title
-No evidence of prior attempt to fix the fender rust is allowed (though mine had obvious touch-ups done by a previous owner, the advisor at my dealer winked at me and said it wont show up in the pics they send to VW Canada for approval) :cool:

Wreckaboy1

TDI
2001 VW Jetta GLS
Guys
I just noticed my pass fender is bubbling at the wheel arch, I will take this TSB into my dealer and let you know how I make out.
I have an 01 Jetta.

Averysmom

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
TST printout?

Hi there! Could someone print out the TSB regarding the foam insulation around the front fenders causing the paint to flake off? I can't seem to find it and I need some backup for the dealership. I would really appreciate it if someone to email it to me at meandmydog @ gmail.com (take out spaces around @).

Thanks
Christi

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Chicago area success !

Orland Park VW did both my fenders, beautifully I might add, and was pleasant and very responsive to my complaint.

biggrey

TDI
99.5 Golf
I have a 99.5 Golf with a corroded fender lip. Service writer at the dealership told me it was caused by a "stone chip" and the VW rep wouldnt even look at it....

Maybe I should try another dealership.....

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
biggrey said:
I have a 99.5 Golf with a corroded fender lip. Service writer at the dealership told me it was caused by a "stone chip" and the VW rep wouldnt even look at it....

Maybe I should try another dealership.....
Print out the TSB and take it with you to another dealership.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I just noticed corrosion on my passenger side fender, I tried to find the TSB, no joy. Following link in first post got me nowhere. Can somebody please point me to a copy of it I can print? Or send to me email or PM.

TIA

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
greengeeker said:
see post #74 in this thread...
Thank you,
That is what I get for skipping from page1 to the last page in a thread, shame on me.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
Called in and they knew what I was asking, came in for pictures, was called back two weeks later with green light to repair/replace.

Dropped off the car, and got it back 72 hours later with both new fenders.

Didn't need to bring in TSB or anything.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Which dealership did you visit? The 3rd or 4th time I went to Eich for this issue they finally seemed to be getting the hang of the TSB.

edit: nvm, saw you took it to Burnsville VW. Good news for anyone looking to get this fixed in the area.

Last edited:

snafu

TDI
'04 Jetta TDI
Do Tires Get Removed?

I'm happy to say that we were successful in having both front fenders replaced, for free, under this TSB !! (no holes, just surface rust on top of each fender)

My question though, does anyone know for sure if the front tires would be removed to replace the fenders ?

The dealer is saying NO, the car is not even put on a hoist and only front bumper is removed.

The reason I ask, my wife was driving our '04 Jetta yesterday and the front drivers side tire flew off and across 4 lanes of traffic :mad:

I'm trying to determine who was the last person to have those tires off !!

If not the dealership, when fenders replaced, then it would be a local garage that checked our brakes in the last month.

The local garage has the car right now, I'm heading to see it for myself, and they 'claim' the hub flange had loose bolts that subsequently caused this problem.

Sorry for the long post, but anyone have any thoughts on this matter !?

(I now have a distraught wife & 83 year old grandmother that no longer trusts our, usually, faithful VW)

MANY thanks in advance.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Alright... so I just took my Golf in.

VWoA rep was actually there today, so it all worked out.

As I have only had the car for two weeks or so, and the history of the rust was unknown, the VWoA rep denied the claim, citing the "lack of care" clause in the warranty. (Essentially, saying that the previous owner may not have gotten the rust repaired in a timely manner, and therefore, lack of care was exhibited, and the warranty is void.)

He did offer a goodwill 50/50 split on the repair, with a rough estimate of a $600 total (so $300 out of pocket. I've got 30 days to decide.)

He had a copy of the TSB with him, as well.

Has anyone successfully gotten VWoA to accept the claim, after citing the "lack of care" clause? What route should I take from here? I have contacted the previous owner of the car to ask about when he first noticed the rust, as well.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
And, I just looked at the exact wording of the text in my 99 Golf manual:

LIMITED WARRANTY AGAINST CORROSION PERFORATION / PROTECTION PLUS

<snip>

What is Not Covered

<snip>

Perforation of Sheet Metal Due to Accident, Lack of Care, Failure to Repair or Modifications to the Paint / Painted Surface

This warranty does not cover corrosion perforation resulting from the failure to promptly repair paint damage, damaged undercoating, or surface corrosion.
It does not cover damage due to failure to wash or otherwise regularly care for the vehicle as prescribed in the Volkswagen Owner's Manual.
This warranty does not cover corrosion perforation resulting from unrepaired collision damage or improper collision repair. It does not cover corrosion perforation resulting from the use of any inferior rust-proofing agent or method.
Looking at that, it reads like the only things that can deny the claim in this case are:

Not repairing paint damage (doesn't apply)
Not repairing damaged undercoating (doesn't apply)
Not repairing surface corrosion (doesn't apply)
Not washing the car (doesn't apply)
Not maintaining the car per the manual (doesn't apply)
Not repairing collision damage (doesn't apply)
Improperly repairing collision damage (doesn't apply)
Improperly rustproofing (doesn't apply)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I was told that although the B5.5 has the same design and is prone to the same issue, that it is not warrantied for the same rust propagation.
The TSB if for A4 only.

Moonlight

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 NB , 2001 Golf GL
I guess I need to figure out how to make my doors look like fenders :) I tried to get VW to stand behind this with no joy. Going to try and fix it myself. 2001 Golf 73K miles.

blueone7

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
Going for a try

I'm taking my 2002, 175k, into Eich next week. My passenger fender has been bubbling since spring, and now my driver's is starting :eek:. I hope I don't get the runaround like greengeeker. I'm going armed with the TSB in hand. I mentioned the TSB to them while making the appointment. They "seemed familiar" with it. Wish me luck!

panda

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
VW approved the front fender replacement on my 2002 Jetta yesterday. Good thing I saw the TSB reference cuz I'm approaching the 12 year limitation.

panda

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
Where did you take your car?
Quirk in Manchester. John is the guy who handles these claims. He took photos of all sides and the odometer reading. It took a couple of weeks to hear back. I actually like that dealer and will probably buy a car from them at some point.