How to check if Passat is actually chainless?

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
mx07gt,
Take a look at the RTV used to seal the oil pan and front seal carrier to the block. I use grey/black RTV. Dealer stuff is white. It isn't definitive, but it could be considered a "hint"

I also do an excellent job of applying the sealant so if it is all gloppy and stupid looking then you know I didn't do it. It should look factory other than the color of the sealant itself.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I believe Brian (OH) puts a "BSM Geared" sticker on the underside of the hood (or thereabouts) after he changes out a chain drive.
Yup I've got one of those stickers under my hood. It gets read by every tech who has seen my car under the hood and they know what that is all about.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
I kept the old parts, well and the invoices.

After looking at the chain type they used for the old system I about *&^%

I can't mechanic any more but I did for a lot of years.

Fixed chain, no rolling element. I don't think anyone has used that type since about 1910. My first bicycle had a better chain type.

I could not believe it, never even saw one that did not have a roller elements and the good ones are more so.

So much for German engineering. No wonder this was an issue.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The chain generates some very high pitched sounds, probably above audible hearing range. I equate the audible to that of a bush on a cymbal. Its pretty easy to hear if you know what to listen for.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The only way I would 100% trust that the original chained BSM has been dealt with would be to physically inspect.

To me that would mean pulling the pan, or using a borescope camera through the oil drain hole to have a look.

Audible and dipstick methods are not reliable.