Help!!! Driver airbag igniter - N95 Resistance too low. 00588

Micwal

Veteran Member
You may have a problem one or more of the following areas.

1. In the bag itself. The bag may have an internal intermittent short. Essentially, the airbag has a (+) an (-) wire going to it in an isolated circuit. The bag is ignited when the power is run through the igniter (essentially a light filament) and this sets off the bag. The propellant is sodium azide, and is the same stuff NASA uses as a primer to light off the engines in the space shuttle.

2. I am not specifically familiar with the VW circuit setup, but the most likely problem in most manufacturers’ cars is the ribbon cable/clock spring that allows the power to be sent to the bag attached to the steering wheel and allow rotation of the wheel. When these fail, the result is ussually TOO HIGH a resistance.

3. One thing to remember, if the test gives results to specs, throwing wiring harness parts at it is usually not going to fix it. When I did this work for a living, the 3 most problematic parts were the ribbon wire ass'y in the steering column, the airbag, and the airbag computer.

The manufacturers have very specific diagnostic tests, as this area is a real liability hazard to them. The tests require the use of a good DVOM, like a Fluke 97 and the measurements taken have to be measured to .001 volts tolerance. The dealer needs to put their best electronic guy they have on this. This is a by the numbers game and the dealer can't have the typical mechanic fix this, it takes brains and training.

My feeling is you should go to a different shop for this repair as these guys are parts hangers. Just demand your money back for a repair that was not properly done. If they refuse to refund the money, contact your state department of consumer affairs. Most states have laws that repair shops are required to refund money for repairs they did not properly do.

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX THIS BY YOUSELF. IF YOU APPLY THE METER THE WRONG WAY, YOU CAN SET OFF THE BAG. THE DIRECT MEASUREMENTS ARE VOLTAGE AND AMPERAGE. THE RESISTANCE IS FIGURED OUT USING OHMS LAW. IF YOU ATTEMPT TO MEASURE THE RESISTANCE OF THE BAG DIRECTLY YOU WILL, NOT MIGHT SET IT OFF.

[ December 12, 2002, 20:13: Message edited by: Micwal ]

Sootblower

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Atlantic Blue
Hi all,
After having the ring and harness replaced at the dealer $239.00, the MAL came on again the same day. The dealer cannot find the problem. Originally they told me they could try another harness for $110.00. I got customer care involved and they agreed to try a harness under warranty. This will be my third trip to the dealer and I'm not at all confident that this will fix the problem. If anyone has had this same exact problem please post. Car is a 2000 Jetta with 25K miles.

Problem occurs after a cold start.
00588 033
Driver airbag igniter - N95 Resistance too low
Sporadic

Thank you,
I will update this post if we find the problem.