New BEW Timing Belt - Engine starts and dies

Matt Schmitz

TDI
2012 Sportswagen,2005 Jetta GLS
2005 Jetta BEW - Installed new TB -Used Metalnerd kit with timing pins. Engine starts but quits after a couple of seconds. After several tries with same results I changed out the fuel filter. Same results . If the timing is off - would the engine even start at all? :confused:

**SOLVED** Timing pin on crank shaft was not inserted all the way in and this made the timing incorrect. realigned timing corrected car runs fine now**SOLVED**

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
The immobilizer. Is the "key" light staying on or flashing? (it's in the cluster)

Matt Schmitz

TDI
2012 Sportswagen,2005 Jetta GLS
I checked for the IMMO. Used both of the two keys. The Immo symbol does not come on. I also checked the anti shutter valve. It is open and has free movement. When we were installing the TB we moved the engine up and down on the jack a couple of times. I've checked but it doesn't appear that any wire connections were loosened. The engine starts right up like it always did before I touched it. Gets to about 800 rpm and quits. I've tried cranking longer. Doesn't even sputter. We marked the old belt to it's location on the gears. Then counted out the ribs on the new belt and marked it the same way. That worked out fine with the lineup pins supplied with the kit.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I wonder if the connector to the camshaft position sensor got unplugged. I think this would throw a CEL, though. Verify that the in-tank lift pump is working. Lift up the right rear seat bottom and listen for the 2-second pump hum when you turn the key to "on" (do not engage the starter). These pumps fail sometimes.

--Nate