www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old February 21st, 2010, 18:57   #1
house-1221

TDI(s): 2009 JSW
Default TDI sportwagen HPFP failure - Rust and metal in the fuel pump.

I just wanted to report the issue that I'm having, give the details and get some advice. I have read the horror stories and i'm a little concerned to say the least.
Car details
2009 jetta sportwagon TDI
6 speed manual
under 8000 miles
don't know build date - car was bought in july 2009
The story goes like this...
First long road trip with the family on a Friday afternoon - GA to PA and back. Returning home (about 9 hours away) and traveling on the interstate, first the flashing glow plugs indicator light comes on and then the check engine. The engine starting reducing in power as i made it the the exit. When i got to the exit ramp and took my foot off the accelerator, the car stalled. After a tow to dealership the service department had enough time to take a look at the car before they closed. I was told the fuel pump was "shredded" - they found rust and metal fragments in the pump. The entire fuel system would need to be replaced. They didn't have time to test the fuel contamination that day, and would have to talk with VoA on Monday. The service department did give me a loaner (it is a POS). So the good news is the family and dog are safe and home, even though we are still 9 hours away from our VW.
I just am waiting for the phone call on monday from the dealership.
I did fill up before i left, and had approximately 1/2 a tank left when the car died.
house-1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 19:47   #2
Harvieux

I recently had a conversation with a shop foreman at one of my local VW dealer and I mentioned this HPFP issue with him and he confirmed that he had 2 confirmed cases to date at his dealer. Both required the $10K total fuel system replacement fix and he agrees that this could be a huge problem for VWAG. Later!
Harvieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 19:53   #3
TDIzumSpass
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40+

OMG! - My condolences for your misfortune. This is my (and all of us CBEA engine owners') greatest fear with our cars.

Can you provide the forum with any more details of this event, i.e.:

how was the car running in the hours, days, weeks prior to this (rough idle,

where did you get your fuel (truck stop or corner station)

grade of diesel being used (No. 1, No. 2, any % biodiesel, etc.)

using any fuel additives (if you don't wish to reveal for warranty concerns that is understood)

did you (or someone else) siphon out or replace the fuel filter recently? Did they follow the proper procedure for priming the HPFP?

I know that you must be pretty stressed out at the moment, but please try to pressure VoA to reveal what Volkswagen of Germany is doing to understand and resolve this problem. This failure is becoming a trend on this site.
TDIzumSpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 19:55   #4
TDIzumSpass
Veteran Member

One other variable that might be important. What level of fuel did you commonly keep in the tank? I have heard that running the tank down to nearly empty is pretty bad for these pumps (although that would only be true for the in-tank pump unless there is air in the line)
Old February 21st, 2010, 20:26   #5
Quick Storm
Veteran Member

BMW has had a BIG problem with HPFP on the twin turbo 3l inline 6cylinders (gas). I have personally installed several on the same cars, and typically a car has a least 2 replaced. These pumps are not built by BMW, but BMW has extended the warranty on the pumps for 10yr/100K. So VW is not the only manufacturer with these sorts of problems.

09 White TDI - DSG

Last edited by Quick Storm; February 21st, 2010 at 21:09.
Quick Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 20:38   #6
TDIzumSpass
Veteran Member

I am trying to find an e-mail contact address (in Wolfsburg) to inquire about this fuel pump issue. I have a friend in Braunschweig; perhaps he can help. Can anyone provide me with a contact number?

If we can apply enough pressure, they will have to do something about this. Can you imagine the impact if the media reports "Volkswagen diesel owners pay $10,000 to replace failed fuel pump"? In light of the recent focus on Toyota, they would jump all over this.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:11   #7
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIzumSpass

did you (or someone else) siphon out or replace the fuel filter recently? Did they follow the proper procedure for priming the HPFP?
wow, under 8K miles and this. BTW I don't think he checked his fuel filter as no need to until 20K, at least thats what they say.

An additional Fuel water seporator is a must in these, Dewsiel and I agree, that standard fuel filter is doing no good.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:46   #8
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Have you been using a lubricity additive? Lack of additive use seems to be a pattern in pump failure. Since VW doesn't recommend an additive, this clearly isn't neglect on your part, but I'm wondering if there's more evidence here that ULSD in the US doesn't provide adequate lubrication in this application.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:15   #9
MostroDiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: about 38 average...CT mixed driving

Are complaints being lodged with the NHTSA regarding these pump issues? Everything else about my car gives me thrills, but the HPFP issue gives me the chills. Surely VW is going to have to be on the hook for these failures.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:58   #10
740GLE
Veteran Member

I really don't see it as a safty issue, if it was sudden complete powerloss which places the car in an uncontrollable situation. Sounds like the ECU is doing it's thing, noticing a failing part and providing a means for you to pull off to the side of the road and have it fixed. Sould everyone that had a bad MAF or VNT control go bad also file with the NHTSA.

Same thing as the cam issue, does that affect safty?

I guess it can't hurt to report and for the NHTSA to make the call if it affects safty.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:23   #11
MostroDiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: about 38 average...CT mixed driving
Default Agreed, not a safety issue

Is there another place to lodge complaints about vehicle defects NOT related to safety?

Also, if anyone has one, perhaps we could get a look at the list of items to be replaced as part of a total fuel system rebuild? I wonder how much of the cost is made up of labor versus parts, and whether this work would be within the reach of an experienced wrench such as me.

It would be useful to know the steps involved for the benefit of future sufferers, especially if they could DIY the job post-warranty.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:41   #12
Rodya

Default File a DEFECT INVESTIGATION

File a DEFECT INVESTIGATION with the NHTSA... the HPFP failure most definitely seems like a safety-related defect... and should be stated as such... as quoted form the website... "If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must provide a remendy at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process."
Rodya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:42   #13
house-1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIzumSpass
OMG! - My condolences for your misfortune. This is my (and all of us CBEA engine owners') greatest fear with our cars.

Can you provide the forum with any more details of this event, i.e.:

how was the car running in the hours, days, weeks prior to this (rough idle,
CAR HAD BEEN RUNNING ABOUT 3 HOURS - NO ROUGH IDLE - NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY
where did you get your fuel (truck stop or corner station)
CORNER STATION - FUELED UP BEFORE I LEFT HAD 1/4 OF A TANK LEFT+/-

grade of diesel being used (No. 1, No. 2, any % biodiesel, etc.)
NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN - ULTRA LOW SULFUR

using any fuel additives (if you don't wish to reveal for warranty concerns that is understood)
NO

NO

I know that you must be pretty stressed out at the moment, but please try to pressure VoA to reveal what Volkswagen of Germany is doing to understand and resolve this problem. This failure is becoming a trend on this site.
I WILL
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:43   #14
RebelTDI
Veteran Member

I hate to see HPFP failure reports continue to come in. I have a 2010 Jetta sedan with just under 4K miles. So far no issues and I hope it stays that way. I have not read any issues with rust/metal in the fuel lines of any of the previous versions of the TDIs. Since it seems like a significant amount of water must be getting into the fuel to promote rust, there must be something about the design of the CRs that promotes water build up in the fuel tank. The fuel gets heated and recirculated back to the tank to minimize gelling in cold weather. I worry that the heating, followed by cooling in winter months would favor condensation of water in the tank. That's one reason I like to keep my tank close to full as much as possible. I know that makes monitoring mpg difficult, but anything to minimize water/rust build up can't be bad. I've really been following the recs in the owner's manual in terms of fuel usage. I only use the ULSD provided by my local Irving station. I hope there is a definitive resolution soon. After getting 48 mpg on a recent trip (per MFD) I'm loving this car!
RebelTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:44   #15
house-1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon
Have you been using a lubricity additive? Lack of additive use seems to be a pattern in pump failure. Since VW doesn't recommend an additive, this clearly isn't neglect on your part, but I'm wondering if there's more evidence here that ULSD in the US doesn't provide adequate lubrication in this application.
NO I DIDN'T USE ANY ADDITIVES.