Need jetta how far do rear seats fold???

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
I'm searching for my first jetta.
I'm looking to find out how big the opening is on the newer (1999-on) jetta sedans from the trunk to the main cabin when the rear seats are folded down?
I like to keep my mountain bike in my car for security and don't want to have to buy a wagon just for that.
Thanks!
NoPlug

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MkV 2005.5 Platinum Gray/Gray Leather Pk2
Noplug,

Hopefully I will be picking mine up today! Not sure of the exact dimensions but you can fold both rear seats down. I will look when I get it.

PS the new jetta is much bigger than the Jetta's of old.

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Noplug,

Hopefully I will be picking mine up today! Not sure of the exact dimensions but you can fold both rear seats down. I will look when I get it.

PS the new jetta is much bigger than the Jetta's of old.

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Thanks Guttboy!
Congrats on your new purchase!
I appreciate the offer and will look for a post when you get yours!
NoPlug

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
noplug... remember, you are in the A5 Jetta forum. That is only 2005.5+ models. The 1999.5-2005 are the older A4 chassis.

As guttboy said, the new A5 Jetta trunk is much larger. One difference is that the rear seat bottoms don't swing up like in the A4 cars... just the seat backs fold down. Also, the front passenger seat back flips forward, flat against the seat bottom. Pretty cool.

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
McBrew...

On the Package 2 options the passenger seat does not fold forward...at least that is what the option list I have says. Makes sense as it is powered.

lcornice

TDI
2009 Jetta 6spd
I can put the kennel for my 80lb retriever in the back seat of my 2000 sedan. You remove the lower seat and there's plenty of room. However, I looked at the A5 and it doesn't look like you can take out the lower seat so it doesn't fold completely flat. Although the A5 is larger, it's funcionality would be potentially reduced if you can't fold the seats flat. Am I mistaken here?

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen
It is only an approximate 3.5" rise from the floor of the trunk to the "floor" created by the folded down seat backs. I don't think you would have much difficulty sliding in a collapsable kennel. Still plently more sqft of trunk space compared to the Mk4.