Intake Manifolg Gasket Kinked

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
I am in the process of cleaning the intake on my Golf. The PO had purchased all the parts for the job and left them to me. I just now noticed that there is a kink in the intake manifold gasket, looks like it got bent somehow. Is this OK to use / will it get straightened out when i tighten it, or should I purchase a new one?

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I really dont see what it would hurt to flatten it out and run it. Its a metal gasket. I also do not understand why people replace them. Once again, its metal. Its either good or its not.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Well I have the new gasket so why not use it. The reason to replace it is there must be a point where those raised/stamped surfaces will no longer have enough flex to them to seal.
But thinking about it, the raised parts are around each of the ports, and the kink does not affect those in my case.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
But thinking about it, the raised parts are around each of the ports, and the kink does not affect those in my case.
In that case I'd feel comfortable using it. It's not a job you want to do again because of a gasket leak.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I doubt that one could have the absolute certainty with this bent one that one could have with an unbent one, in which case just buy a new one and never have to second guess yourself. It's not like they're all the expensive. This is a labor job, don't go cheap.

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
if it's metal, as long as it's not creased you will be fine, if it's paper, of which is really rare, you can just throw it on, if you are still worried about it you can iron the paper gasket with high steam to flatten it out.