Best Replacement Valve Body??

Monksy

TDI
Mk4
Good evening everyone, I have been chasing a sluggish, surging, poor mileage issue since I got my Jetta July. It seems to me that my problem is indeed the valve body in my auto transmission for the following reasons:

Surging rpm's (50-100) when cruising with the rpm's around 17-1900.
Hard shift into first, (I mitigate this by shifting into drive, then quickly into neutral then back into drive, which seems to prevent the hard smack into gear).
Varying quality in the shifting, sometimes decent, sometimes not.
I am only getting 600-650 KM's to the tank with lots of that being highway.

My question is, what is my best course of action? I am mechanically inclined and plan to do the work myself but I'm curious who to grab a valve body from. I have never like the idea of transmission additives, but has anyone had luck with the lucas transmission fix since this seems like a seals issue?

Thanks y'all !

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Look for the the threads by CoolAirVW on the 01m trans. I got a VB from him, but I cannot recommend going this route unless you are pretty sure that one would have a good chance of addressing your issues. (full cost for me -I had someone do the work- was about $1k USD).

Issue that "I" (it's the daughter's car) had were a couple of codes, no actual difficulties noted. It was purely a preemptive move. I'll note that I had run VCDS logging on the transmission and, as confirmed by how the trams felt, things looked good: the logging had been done a good year before the codes popped up- I'd run them just to understand how the trans was working; never a sense of any trouble even up to the point where I decided to have the VB done.

Generally it's a good idea to pull codes and then see how they match up with the various 01m issues. Keep in mind, however, that it's nearly impossible to say what will absolutely fix one of these transmissions, other than a very good, and very expensive, rebuild (not a lot of folks out there that one could consider good enough to dump the amount of money that a rebuild calls for).

Anyway, find those threads and read them.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Which year MkIV is yours, Monksy?
2004+ is a completely different animal from 2003 and earlier...

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
RevMax in Charlotte NC rebuilds them. They can do the 4 speed and the 6 speed trans valve bodies. They bore out valves and sleeve with stainless steel, replace valves, solenoids and harness. Pretty much eliminates the sticking that causes all of the shifting problems.

Monksy

TDI
Mk4
Which year MkIV is yours, Monksy?
2004+ is a completely different animal from 2003 and earlier...
It is a 2003!

Thanks for the input, I am torn between what I should do. My symptoms are similar to a lot of others that I have read about and their problem was the valve body. I don't want to do this and it not be the problem and I also don't have the money for a full rebuild or a new trans. I think I will go ahead with sourcing a rebuilt valve body, so what would be my best bet?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unless you can find someone up there who knows how to do them properly I figure that Richard (aka CoolAirVW) is probably the best source: kansascitytdi.com

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Read up on what Richard does and then see if Revmax does the same. I have no idea. If a supporting vendor is competitive to a non-supporting vendor then I go with the supporting vendor.

Monksy

TDI
Mk4
So I think I will go with Coolairvw but he said this likely won't fix my hard shift into first. Any input on what to do about this? I'd like to do the valve body but not if the whole tranny is messed. Anyone have experience with this? Anyone had this problem along with the surging and the valve body fixed it?