Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Jimbote
Wondering if you knew anyone who can make a 2004 Mercedes 612 cdi run stand alone, it is a 5 cylinder sprinter truck engine I have exhausted my looking and there has to be someone out there that can get into the computer and get it to work. In advance TNX for your help. Best Skip
Assuming you've contacted vwmikel? Is the issue immobilizer related ?

47coeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta TDI, 94 TDI German block in a Samurai
Before I get into this build to far I want to make sure I can get the engine to run. My plan is to put into a fj 40 toyota I would use a vw tdi but I dont think it would have enough power for hard usage what is your take on that . I have an 1Z and the mercedes engine just not sure what way to go. Just about finished with the 86 samurai TDI conversion, I know that one will be sweet...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Before I get into this build to far I want to make sure I can get the engine to run. My plan is to put into a fj 40 toyota I would use a vw tdi but I dont think it would have enough power for hard usage what is your take on that . I have an 1Z and the mercedes engine just not sure what way to go. Just about finished with the 86 samurai TDI conversion, I know that one will be sweet...
I say go for the merc engine in the FJ....sure a TDI will tote it but the merc will hardly wimper under the hardest abuse....don't get me wrong my 2.0 taco is pretty badass ...but I'd love to have a sprinter 5 pot in there!!

matt87

TDI
2000 Golf ALH
Hey Jimbote, I'm doing a very similiar swap, and am having a few issues with wiring. I'm using an ALH as well, and when i pulled the the engine i basically left anything engine harness related attached to the engine. Do you have any good pictures of what circuits/branches you kept from the body harness (if any)? Or did you just create your own body side harness to interface with the T10 connectors in the "protective housing for connectors, in plenum chamber" and the T14 connector etc. I am tyring to re-use as much VW harness as possible, I have the Bentley manual but just looking for someone whos done this swap's opinion. Thanks in advance

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Jimbote .......... my next one will have the simplified harness too!

Although I pretty much have the harness behind me, it has been a monkey on my back!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
But now you the organ grinder and that monkey dances fo you :D !!!

...............LOL:D Well, that monkey better be packing his bags, cause the ALH is going to push that Vanagon to Alaska!.....or Bust!:eek:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Thanks for the video! Sweet ride, and congrats for making all the accessories work, like AC and cruise!

What kind of MPG are you getting?

Tony

47coeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta TDI, 94 TDI German block in a Samurai
Nice vid of your truck, keep me inspired to get my zuk done, roughed out the wiring this weekend. Stand alone was much easier than I thought and looks good to.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Thanks for the video! Sweet ride, and congrats for making all the accessories work, like AC and cruise!

What kind of MPG are you getting?

Tony
Gotta have AC and cruise ;) .... Last three tanks in this order ...31,30,32 mpg .... Having a slipping clutch really helps with fe....I have to baby it past torque rise to keep it from slipping :)

Nice vid of your truck, keep me inspired to get my zuk done, roughed out the wiring this weekend. Stand alone was much easier than I thought and looks good to.
I dig standalone myself too.... So much simpler and cleaner .... That zuk is gonna fly with a tdi !!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
My first auto was a 1973 Toyota Hilux. I would love to have a setup like you do!
There needs to be a Toyota specific kit, with adapter, mounts, wiring and hoses it would be so much easier to put one of these together.... Just a few weekends you'd be set :) .... Your happy face drivin' a rabbit is great !

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I wish it was .... Still the 1749va (stock BHW) under there ..... VK is still on the shelf and prob won't make it on .... I do have a BV43 PD170 turbo waiting to hitch a ride on the mani .... What's your take on the BV turbos Matt ?
With the amount of fuel you have availible, the VK needs to go on. Anything smaller is castrating the bull.

Once you run a proper sized turbo on a healthy motor, you'll understand why I say the 1756vk is the smallest turbo I like.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Believe me the vk looks like a monster compared to the bv.... Im sure it can move a hurricane of air but my biggest concern is fitment....i will give the VK a fair shot before the BV goes in .... Prob gonna hit the apron though....I'll post comparo pics of the two turbos side by side ;)

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Believe me the vk looks like a monster compared to the bv.... Im sure it can move a hurricane of air but my biggest concern is fitment....i will give the VK a fair shot before the BV goes in .... Prob gonna hit the apron though....I'll post comparo pics of the two turbos side by side ;)
If I can fit one in a jetta, you can fit one in a pickup truck with the motor mounted the proper way :p.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
I'm still not seeing the problem, it's only a hare bigger :). You can cut back the compressor outlet easily to change the exit angle. 1 1/4" schedule 10 or 40 aluminum pipe elbows from McMastercarr work perfectly.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
apples and oranges Matt ;)....the MKIV has more room behind the engine than I have beside mine....I'm already touching one of the AC lines with the little VA turbo...add to that ryanp's adapter plate and the actuator sticking out in the wrong direction....I just don't see how it's gonna clear....I'm gonna test fit it up there for sure because I want it to work too my friend....that being said, tonight was the first time I had the turbos side by side...and ya' know there is really not a tremendous difference in outside dimension...the VK just has stuff in the wrong place ....

Whitbread

TDI
Several
apples and oranges Matt ;)....the MKIV has more room behind the engine than I have beside mine....I'm already touching one of the AC lines with the little VA turbo...add to that ryanp's adapter plate and the actuator sticking out in the wrong direction....I just don't see how it's gonna clear....I'm gonna test fit it up there for sure because I want it to work too my friend....that being said, tonight was the first time I had the turbos side by side...and ya' know there is really not a tremendous difference in outside dimension...the VK just has stuff in the wrong place ....
You can't bend the AC line out of the way a little bit? Would you have more clearance if you orient the turbo up or down? Going down would be easy with a cut vnt-15 manifold. Could you not use an old 1.6td manifold to orient it up also?

What about using a fleabay $70 cast 8v vw turbo manifold? Make an adapter plate and that would orient the turbine housing up higher than the center line of the exhaust ports.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
You can't bend the AC line out of the way a little bit? Would you have more clearance if you orient the turbo up or down? Going down would be easy with a cut vnt-15 manifold. Could you not use an old 1.6td manifold to orient it up also?

What about using a fleabay $70 cast 8v vw turbo manifold? Make an adapter plate and that would orient the turbine housing up higher than the center line of the exhaust ports.
I like the turbo where it sits....not completely against using a mani to get it up higher but I definitely don't wanna go any lower....that would interfere with my planned side engine mounts ;).....really my issue is plugability ....the BV will go on much much easier than the VK and I think for the level and type of performance I'm after (mainly 1700-3800 rpm torque/power) it will fit the bill.....maybe just maybe both turbos will have a chance under the hood...I'd really like to see which one performs better for my needs....

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
yeah, where did that TD manifold go? ;)

What about a T3 8v manifold? It would put that turbo pretty high.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
yeah, where did that TD manifold go? ;)

What about a T3 8v manifold? It would put that turbo pretty high.
I really have no Idea....but my sixth sense tells me somewhere in the midwest :)

I took another look at it today and I think it just may squeeze in under the AC line....I may have to bend or cut some of the apron but I'll give it a shot.... Am I detecting a VK vote from the Fettig camp?....I really like the looks of the turbo just hope it's up to snuff (I have pretty high expectations ;)