Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel, is this a good engine, with a proven track record?

ProTDI

Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel, is this a good engine, with a proven track record?

Does anyone know the history of this engine? Is it designed and built by Mercedes?

Thanks for any info.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
Re: Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel, is this a good engine, with a proven track record?

Originally posted by Smithers:
The article I read says that the engine is made by Detroit Diesel.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Detroit Diesel is part of Daimler-Chrysler.

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member
Re: Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel, is this a good engine, with a proven track record?

I heard that it would be a VM, which is owned by Detroit Diesel, which in turn is owned by DCX. One thing is for sure: it will not be a Mercedes engine.

Rob

NB TDI

Veteran Member

I wonder what kind of of MPG that jeep is going to get with that Turbo diesel engine in it?

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White

DChrysler sells the PT-Cruiser in Europe with a great common rail MBenz turbo diesel. But who knows when we will get to see such a thing over here?

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green

My mistake, sorry.

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member

Here is a review of the PT Cruiser that talks about it's Mercedes sourced Diesel:

http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/sheikh/cars/ChyrslerPTCruiser.htm

As far as the Liberty goes, Dr. Dieter Zetsche (CEO DCA) has stated that diesels will yield up to a 30% increase in fuel economy. The best fuel economy out of the Liberty with a gas engine is 24 mpg on the highway. So, it looks like DCX expects about 30 mpg out of the Diesel. Personally, it would take at least 35 mpg in a Liberty before I would think of buying one. Oh well, it is a start. Nice to see some more passenger vehicle diesels coming to the US market.

Regards,

Rob

Sootblower

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Atlantic Blue

As far as I know it's a Merc engine. So it should be good. The problem is that the liberty is still a chrysler. Watch out for tranny problems. The engine should last forever, providing maintenance is kept up, and it is taken care of. My only gripe is that the 2.8L isn't in the C-class, but in the POS liberty.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can't comment on the Liberty but Jeeps in general are good vehicles. We have a '95 Cherokee with inline 6.
With 100K miles we replaced:

Rotors $90.00
Crank position sensor $200.00
Radiator & Water pump $200.00
Oil sending unit $20.00
Total for 100K miles: $510.00

I hope that my TDI can do as well as this.

ProTDI

Very disappointing. I thought the purpose of this exercise was to ENCOURGE the ACCEPTANCE of diesel-powered vehicles in North America. So why not give us a Mercedes engine???? I’m willing to take a chance on a Chrysler, but not without a Mercedes engine. I believe the European Grand Cherokee gets a Mercedes, but it’s the North Americans, that need the convincing. Perhaps DaimlerChrysler will reconsider before 2004.

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green

As far as I know it's a Merc engine. So it should be good. The problem is that the liberty is still a chrysler. Watch out for tranny problems. The engine should last forever, providing maintenance is kept up, and it is taken care of. My only gripe is that the 2.8L isn't in the C-class, but in the POS liberty.

Smithers

Veteran Member

The article I read says that the engine is made by Detroit Diesel.

Roadrunner6

In Europe, the Liberty (called "Cherokee" here) can have two diesel motorisations : a 2,5 CRD and 2,8 l CRD. The former "Grand Cherokee" had a 3,1 l CRD, which has been replaced by a 2.7 l CDI (Mercedes). The were a lot of problems with the old engine. The denomination "CRD" refers to VM engines :)-(( And Mercedes doesn't have any 2,5 or 2,8 diesel engine, so, the two new engines are most probably made by VM. Maybe not the best choice !

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

Remember, Mercedes does sometimes build a dud diesel, remember the 3.5 Inline 6?

All I'm saying is, don't damn the horse until you've taken a ride.

ProTDI

Mercedes has indeed built a dud or two, but if your counting duds, Chrysler…ah...well, what can I say about Chrysler that hasn’t already been said; some of us have been stung before. And given Roadrunner6’s comments about the CRD engines, I’m not at all encouraged.

Chrysler, if you’re listening, why not use the 2.7 CDI in the Liberty? This is a golden opportunity to change the perceptions that North Americans have of diesels and Chryslers.

southtdi

Veteran Member

Your not buying a Chrysler diesel. You are buying a Detroit Diesel engine. Yes, they are owned buy DC but they have been in business for a very long time. They have a good reputation for building diesel engines. If it was stated that this is a new engine designed by Chrysler corp then I might have a different view.

My only beef with it is the article I read about it comming stated 18 city and 29 hwy. I felt that these numbers are a little low and that it should get a little better mileage than that, especially in the city.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP

Hi Folks, GM must have sold Detroit Diesel because DD used to be owned or majority held by them. My sister's father in law (God rest his soul) was one of their top engineers and he was so good, they never really let him retire because they would always ask him to do one more project, and then another, etc. Later!

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607

Originally posted by Roadrunner6:
In Europe, the Liberty (called "Cherokee" here) can have two diesel motorisations : a 2,5 CRD and 2,8 l CRD. The former "Grand Cherokee" had a 3,1 l CRD, which has been replaced by a 2.7 l CDI (Mercedes). The were a lot of problems with the old engine. The denomination "CRD" refers to VM engines :)-(( And Mercedes doesn't have any 2,5 or 2,8 diesel engine, so, the two new engines are most probably made by VM. Maybe not the best choice !
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I haven't heard this. I personally know two people (one is my father) who have the older Jeep Cherokee with the 2.5 litre IDI VM Motori turbo diesel engine.

Neither has had any problems with the engine. My father puts to fairly hard use by towing a caravan (trailer) with it.

The VM Motori engine was fitted to loads of vehicles here, basically anyone who couldn't afford to develop their own engines. They've been fitted to Range Rover, Rover SD1, Rover 800, Ford Scorpio, I think Chrysler Voyager, Jeep Cherokee.

The engines are fairly noisy beasts, but I hadn't heard of reliability issues.

The old engine was a modular design, and so the four cyl actually has four seperate cylinder heads. I know of a couple of instances of people getting six cylinder versions and fitting them to Range Rovers. It also had push rod valves, so no cam belt.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

Originally posted by Harvieux:
Hi Folks, GM must have sold Detroit Diesel because DD used to be owned or majority held by them. My sister's father in law (God rest his soul) was one of their top engineers and he was so good, they never really let him retire because they would always ask him to do one more project, and then another, etc. Later!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, GM created Detroit Diesel, then I remember they used to place "GM" on the intake of the older 71 series engines that were installed in pre 1970's GM motorcoaches.

I'd be willing to lay money down on a Detroit Diesel. They can build a good engine that will last. There are lots of 1950's era GM coaches that have been converted to motorhomes still running OEM 2 stroke 6-71 engines.

Beezle

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle, technoblue

My experience with Detroits is that they are fine engines, but are we sure they're owned by DCX? It just seems that if that were the case, Dodge wouldn't run Cummins in the pickups, ya know? Plus didn't GM just make a big deal about their new 3500 series trucks with the Detroit engine & Allison transmission bulletproof combo?

recent development that I just haven't heard about somehow?

Harvieux

TDI

Hi Beezle, The new Duramax engine in the GM trucks are Izusu (spelling?). The auto trannies are Allison. I remember when there was the combination to the name Detroit Diesel Allison. Most know that Cummins is or used to be majority held by Ford. I heard lot's of reasons why Ford doesn't use Cummins in their line up. One reason is DC has a long contract another is Ford is satisfied with the International PSD. Who really knows for sure? Regarding bullet proff combo. The Izusu DMD was actually a bit too strong for the Allison and there have been problems after 30K miles of heavy duty hauling. GM was turning down some power on the engine but, also heard it wasn't turned down quite enough. I do not know if this, so called problem has been rectified. I would imagine that it's like everything else, some do and some don't, like the VW TDI A4 MAFS. Later!

[ December 06, 2002, 08:44: Message edited by: Harvieux ]

detroitdieselwannabe

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI

As far as heavy duty engines go, detroit diesels have a proven record over both cummins and international, but not sure about mercedes. They are durable, bullet-proof, and last forever.

PC Dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Other

Briefly, Detroit Diesel started out as GM Diesel in the '30s, became Detroit Diesel in '65, and merged with Allison to form the Detroit Diesel Allison division of GM in '70. That division's heavy duty diesel operations were contributed by GM into a joint venture with Roger Penske in '88 called Detroit Diesel, which went public in '93. DCX bought Detroit Diesel from Penske and the public shareholders in 10/2000, and is now a wholly owned subsidiary. Interesting history.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

Originally posted by Harvieux:
Hi Beezle, The new Duramax engine in the GM trucks are Izusu (spelling?). The auto trannies are Allison. I remember when there was the combination to the name Detroit Diesel Allison. Most know that Cummins is or used to be majority held by Ford. I heard lot's of reasons why Ford doesn't use Cummins in their line up. One reason is DC has a long contract another is Ford is satisfied with the International PSD. Who really knows for sure? Regarding bullet proff combo. The Izusu DMD was actually a bit too strong for the Allison and there have been problems after 30K miles of heavy duty hauling. GM was turning down some power on the engine but, also heard it wasn't turned down quite enough. I do not know if this, so called problem has been rectified. I would imagine that it's like everything else, some do and some don't, like the VW TDI A4 MAFS. Later!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think Ford has stuck with Navistar because they've been supplying their diesel engine since 1983. Plus, despite the fuel injection problems, most PS owners love their trucks so why change? Ford could easily have designed a smaller diesel engine for it's pickup from one of it's HD designs.

Dodge has an equally strong following with the Cummins engine and there's nearly unlimited resources for that engine from Cummins. Again, why change?

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member

Here is a link detailing the purchase of Detroit Diesel by DCC.

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/index_e.htm?/news/top/2000/t01010a_e.htm

Navistar's International Engine Corporation has a long standing relationship with Ford, and the two are in a joint venture for medium duty trucks.

http://yahoo.marketguide.com/MGI/busidesc.asp?target=/stocks/companyinformation/busidesc&Ticker=NAV

Cummins is a publicly traded company and is not owned by Ford, and does not currently have Ford as a customer.

http://yahoo.marketguide.com/MGI/busidesc.asp?target=/stocks/companyinformation/busidesc&Ticker=CUM

Best Regards,

Rob

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607

This has very little to do with the Detroit Diesel engines that you guys are familiar with, but much more to do with VM Motori in Italy who were bought out by Detroit.

These engines are VM Motori engines, not Detroit Diesel.

Harvieux

TDI

As far as heavy duty engines go, detroit diesels have a proven record over both cummins and international, but not sure about mercedes. They are durable, bullet-proof, and last forever.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I remember back in the mid 70's when Cat had those in-line 325 and 425 HP engines that had the single cast iron head instead of the newer multi-head system. Talk about bullet proff! Later!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW

Originally posted by PackRat:

Plus, despite the fuel injection problems, most PS owners love their trucks so why change? Ford could easily have designed a smaller diesel engine for it's pickup from one of it's HD designs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Evidently you missed this?

PickupTruck.com - First Drive: 2003 Ford Super Duty.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2003/ford/superduty/first_drive/page2.html

Smaller than the old 7.3L Powerstroke, the "new" downsized V8 is now only 6.0 liters, with talk of a V6 with 4.5 liters for the F-150.

Time will tell.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

Originally posted by WVWSP61:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by PackRat:

Plus, despite the fuel injection problems, most PS owners love their trucks so why change? Ford could easily have designed a smaller diesel engine for it's pickup from one of it's HD designs.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Evidently you missed this?

PickupTruck.com - First Drive: 2003 Ford Super Duty.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2003/ford/superduty/first_drive/page2.html

Smaller than the old 7.3L Powerstroke, the "new" downsized V8 is now only 6.0 liters, with talk of a V6 with 4.5 liters for the F-150.

Time will tell.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope, I didn't miss that.

Since it's still a Navistar built diesel called Powerstroke, what I said still holds water.

Rodg Petersen

Veteran Member

DD makes very fine engines...their lightduty Delta is a very nice piece of work, wish DC would put it in the Dakota. Ford uses the PS due to a $3000 premium for the Cummins. If you buy a Ford 450 on up you can spec the Cummins in lieu of the PS but be prepared to pay for it.
Interesting tidbit...new ford PS commercial shows a PS and Duramax racing down a track pulling identical trailers. One of my customers works for the ad agency. Said they had a 3rd trailer and a Dodge Cummins there, but it kept beating the Ford.
Guess that would not help sell the Ford. The Navistar people didn't take it very well.
Rodg