Shark Fin antenna

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Okay everybody...antenna got sliced by one of those guard gate arms yesterday. Probably an omen b/c it was looking like kraut after 16 years.

So I goes and search on ebay and there's a gazillion of them to choose from.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html...shark+fin+antenna&_dcat=33639&_vxp=mtr&_rdc=2

My question is, which one to purchase? Which has the best fitment and least install problems? Any sound improvement?!?

Thanks!

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
is it amplified or powered? you oem one?
Dunno...it's the original with the screw type articulation of the actual antenna and then it goes straight to the end. Encased in some type of rubber or hard dark gray plastic material.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
I believe most all the OEM bases are amplified...Mine reception sucked until i got an amplified adapter for the aftermarket radio that was already installed.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
In case this helps, I tried installing an antena base that I removed from a B5 Passat. The unit that mounts on outside of the car (base, gasket and screw in antena) appeared identical, however the connector did not work.

VW changed the connectors between model years in one crucial detail.

Going from memory, on B4 the male end is on the antenna portion of the cable, while the female end is on the end of the cable that runs from the radio to the roof. On the B5 it is reversed.

If you find a clean antenna base with a good gasket from a B5 you could possibly cut, splice and solder to end up with the proper combination of male and female ends. I am not skilled enough to do it.