Bad Battery

TDI Frankie

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Manual
I purchased my Passat about a month ago and now have ~1,500 miles on the clock. Totally love this car and had no buyer's remorse BUT the battery crapped out. The local dealer, not the one I purchased from, took just about a full day to confirm the battery was the problem. Just wondering if other folks have had this kind of problem.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Yes, a few of us have had to have the battery replaced. Almost a year ago; no problem since.

Verilux101

TDI
2013 Passat, 6M
Why would a brand new battery only last that long. The minimum I have had a new battery is 3.5 years, usually 4.5-5.5 year lifespan. Is something draining these batteries? It sounds like the deathstar when I turn my car off, whistles, hums, and all sorts of noises form the front and rear.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
There will always be manufacturing anomalies...always... with batteries, and with automobiles.
So far, there don't seem to be excessive new Passat failures of either, OEM VW batteries nor VW electrical systems. When they fail prematurely, it's a royal pain for both car owner and tech to find the cause, in addition to the inconvenience.
Yes...the deathstar sounds are initially alarming, then annoying, then, sadly, you'll learn to stop listening to your car, as it will be such an irritant. Unfortunately, if you get to that point, you'll miss critical sounds that an enthusiast NEEDS to hear, to prevent on-the-road breakdowns. Which sounds are good, which are bad? I'm still guessing...

...Brought to you by a "drive some, worry enough" enthusiast...

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I was replacing recently battery on my other car, so met a guy there he has Honda Accord all loaded with just shy of 20,000 miles, so after 2 years his battery failed as well. I guess defective part cause this plus a lot electronics and small battery capacities for such big current load.
I’m thankful that VW did not installed same battery as on VW Touareg, that would a PITA to replace under the seat.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
There's the other side of the coin... My '06 A5 Jetta TDI has 160k miles on the clock and is still on the original battery. Some live long, others not so much.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
^^^^^^^

Yes. Look into the concept of MTBF. A small percentage of a part last forever, a small percentage fail quickly. Most have a pretty predictable lifespan. Lead-acid car batteries are not eternal, 3-5 years is a good estimate for a decent quality battery. I've only had one of the "long-lasting" variety. The OEM battery in my Dodge Dakota lasted 8 years and 8 months. The dealer couldn't replace it with the same brand, so I got an Interstate for it, which is my go-to battery.