Expected Life of V6 TDI Common Rail Pump Belt??

hedditch

TDI
Touareg V6 TDI
I have a V6 TDI in a Touareg. And would like to know if anybody has found a need to have it replaced or has had a failure or the toothed belt which drives the Common Rail Pressure Pump. My vehicle has done 80,000 km and the belt appears to be still in good shape.. I would definitely prefer to replace it in the workshop rather than roadside, in Central Australia. VW Australia only have it listed as a repair kit which includes idler pulleys and a whopping AU$640 price tag.

Any feedback on your experiences would be appreciated..

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I have a V6 TDI in a Touareg. And would like to know if anybody has found a need to have it replaced or has had a failure or the toothed belt which drives the Common Rail Pressure Pump. My vehicle has done 80,000 km and the belt appears to be still in good shape.. I would definitely prefer to replace it in the workshop rather than roadside, in Central Australia. VW Australia only have it listed as a repair kit which includes idler pulleys and a whopping AU$640 price tag.

Any feedback on your experiences would be appreciated..
You HAVE to replace the timing belt at the reqiured service interval. If not, you risk serious damage to your engine. You may be able to find the TB Kit online cheaper than it would cost at the dealer.Go with the kit as it contains the necessary parts to do he TB change correctly. Don't risk your engine and try and cheap out.

dweisel

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
You HAVE to replace the timing belt at the reqiured service interval. If not, you risk serious damage to your engine. You may be able to find the TB Kit online cheaper than it would cost at the dealer.Go with the kit as it contains the necessary parts to do he TB change correctly. Don't risk your engine and try and cheap out.

dweisel
This is not the timing belt, V6 TDI does not have one, but has chains. What he is asking about is something totally different. He has a thread about this exact topic on Club Touareg and no one has an answer for him as of yet. I almost think he is going to have to post to a UK forum where more people have this motor since it has not been in NA very long for any of us to have any significant mileage on them.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
This is not the timing belt, V6 TDI does not have one, but has chains.
No timing belt changes?

So assuming the chains (and/or tensioners) don't self-destruct as in the 2004/5 Passat's BHW, what are the big ticket maintenance items for the V6 TDIs that VW does require?

I would love to see a VW maintenance schedule ...

hedditch

TDI
Touareg V6 TDI
ok, according to 1 of the photos on this german site, your injection pump is driven by a belt off one of the camshafts: http://seekpart24.com/search?am=vw&as=touareg-7la-7l6-7l7-02&c=100453

Correct, I would have posted a photo of it but for some reason was unable to do so. My question is , Has anybody had any experience with failure of thee belts, or any idea as to designed life expectancy?.

I would rather replace it in the appropriate time frame then have it fail when I least need it.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
No timing belt changes?

So assuming the chains (and/or tensioners) don't self-destruct as in the 2004/5 Passat's BHW, what are the big ticket maintenance items for the V6 TDIs that VW does require?

I would love to see a VW maintenance schedule ...
No idea really since this motor has not been in NA for more then a couple of year, so no one has any real mileage on them yet.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
No idea really since this motor has not been in NA for more then a couple of year, so no one has any real mileage on them yet.
Thanks. I guess these cars aren't really used for long-distance commuting.

Anyway, and hopefully, all those chains and tensioners will last at least 200K miles (lifetime = 200K miles?).

And I guess routine maint is mostly just 10K mile oil change and filters. Sounds pretty cheap ... (esp. if you do it yourself).

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
The wife's 2010 has 45,000 miles on it now. I checked the belt, and it still seems to be in good shape. I know that this may be deceiving, so I would appreciate more guidance from VOA.