'01 Monsoon radio: code needed after power-off? or does the radio recognize the car?

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
'01 Golf TDI with single-DIN Monsoon radio.

Will it require a code after power is removed/restored, or recognize the car?
Isn't there any way to tell other then disconnect and see what it says?

Will VAG-COM (near-future purchase) help in this regard?

The code is missing from the manual, "dealer will give you the code if it's missing" is apparently a lie, and "some radios will recognize the car they were installed in at the factory" but no indication is given which radios that might be, or how to figure it out other then unpowering it ad seeign if it still works.

Called VW customer care - they expressly know nothing whatsoever, other then that the no-cost-code policy indeed used tob e so, but isn't anymore, and that I should just go ahead and do what I want to do, and if I need a code and can't get it for free, call back and they might cover the cost of the code, or perhaps not. That's nearly, though not at all, helpful. I pointed out the commonly heard "love the car, hate the company" line. (this was on the second try - on the first, they hung up, i.e. forwarded me to the satisfaction survey, before I finished the first sentence.)

kasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat TDI spd manual
I recently had some alt problems with my 02 and had the batt out several times for hours on end....never lost the radio code.
You might try a trick by getting power to it via the cigarette lighter and a 9 v battery. there are gizmos like that for sale in auto part stores for a few bucks....I rigged up a trickle charger to a power socket that goes in the cig lighter , but now I don't even bother since the code always stays.
My vag com doesn't do anything with radio codes...maybe others do.

cheers

Ted

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
On the '01 it will reset itself. I have the same radio. It takes a few driving cycles but it does reset. The '02 and newer double-DINs appear to be quicker at the recognition (immediate).

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Thank you.

And now, after leaving a similar question (with limited rudeness) at the VW web site, I got a call back, to tell me that for certain, the radio would need the code, and that there's no way it would recognize the car (shows what they know) and that they weren't aware of the "maybe" in the manual (so they hadn't looked at an actual manual?). And that the free code was only for original owners - because I admitted to not being the original owner. I'm sure the excuse would have been different if I hadn't.
Were this sort of service really stinks is where the person calls the policy "unfortunate", and talks about having a similar problem with her non-VW.
Are they unclear on the concept that to the customer, the rep is just part of the company monolith, and that it's quite obvious to me that such comiseration is fake?

Both that and something about the car being "so stuffed full of electronics" reminds me of the part in the manual where it says

"Because cars nowadays are packaged so tightly, you should have <stealership service> perform headlight bulb replacement."

As if the design of this particular car was part of some sort of youth movement that VW just could not influence.

I politely informed her how unfortunate it was to have a policy that required additional payment to be able to keep using features (radio) after service done elsewhere than the dealer (battery replacement); I also expressed my gratitude at being informed of the code need in contrast to the experience of helpful folks online that had seen their own radio recognize the car again after soem period of time...

ka9ppa

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI w/manual 5 spd.
Hi All.
I recently used my vag com to clear my check engine light (I need to check my engine coolant temp sensor). It cleared the dash light, as expected, but also nicely cleared my Monsoon radio of remembering that there was also an external CD player on board.
Does anyone know how to re-enter the code into the Monsoon radio (2003 TDI), and what that code might be (or where I might find out)?
Thanks

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Go to the Radio selection, look at the coding number. Right most digit should be a 3. If not, select 07 - coding and change it a 3.

Maddawg

TDI
Jetta 2003.500.000 kms. 2001JETTA TDI.
Lol. Ya I see that. But if it had anything to do with radio out of my 03 Jetta it definitely would be useful in getting it to work again.