Wiring Harness/Glow Plugs/ Check engine light

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI 2013 Passat TDI SE
My dealer, VW of New Milford, CT, changed out the glow plugs (Bosch) 7 amp. with the "new" recommended brand from a tech bulletin (5 amp) from VW. on my 2004 B5.5 with 65, 000 miles. Since I had been in their shop for an on-going problem with number 2 glow plug which kept throwing a cel intermittent since 20,000 miles they charged me NOTHING. I'm very pleased with this dealership that took care of the problem. It says alot about their customer service and on other issues they have been very reliable as well. So I would have to add that not ALL dealerships are "stealerships".

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
VWfanatic said:
AS my Wifey's car is now throwing the same code I figured I might as well look up the harness....well it's not $30 bucks anymore.

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-glow-plug-harness_122585.html
__. Nothing that was $30 in 2002 is still $30. This harness is a "two-wire" for 99.5 MY through '01 MY* Golfs, Jettas, and NB's (dunno about Passats). Later models of the ALH engine (through '03 MY) had a four wire harness. The change maybe didn't happen at exactly the end of a model year so give Impex your VIN. You need to get the right harness for your car.

__. Website www.worldimpex.com -- the older company names don't take you there direct.

__. But this thread is extraneous. Go to the "Glow Plug 101 Version 2.0" thread for the full info.

spanky1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2012, platinum grey(6-spd manual)
I just looked at getting the GP harness from our friend Bleached Bora(via ebay). It looks like the photos have a plug in(4-wire version) on the end of the wires opposite the Glow plugs.

Is getting to that end of the wiring too difficult? It seems like a simple plug-in, but if everyone is cutting and crimping these as the alternative, it must be a bear.

I really hate that these have doubled in price, I wish I had bought one of these a couple of years ago when I first had issues. I can't take having the CEL on all the time.

I'm actually of the mind that as my car gets older(currently 130K miles), having an operational CEL could be a good thing.