99 Beetle Shifter Upgrade Help Please

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I want to upgrade the shifter on my 99 Beetle. I adjust it and then it slips within a couple days and I loose reverse again. From what I've read I want the late Mk4 shift tower but the part I get confused at is what else I need. I have what appears to be the B4 style shifter.

Cable ends?
New cables?
Whole new shift box with cables?

Any advice is appreciated.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Answer: All of the above, including the shift tower to go into the transmission.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Answer: All of the above, including the shift tower to go into the transmission.
... and the bracket on the top of the transmission that holds the cables, as well as the little VW branded bushing from the base of the transmission.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
you really don't need the "VW" logo bushing... there are some late shift towers that use a guide/detent clip in the lower shift bushing but ALL 02A/02J trannys have the same diameter lower shift shaft, so you can fit any late 02J shaft into any 02A or early 02J ... only issue when swapping shafts would be if you tried swapped an early 02J round style shaft into a late 02J with the detent clip and even then you can just remove the clip

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
You certain on that? I'd swear I read somewhere that there were different diameter shafts... :confused:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
You certain on that? I'd swear I read somewhere that there were different diameter shafts... :confused:
i'm certain ;)...ALL 02A/02J shift shafts are the same diameter, however some later 02J's have "double D" grooved shaft that interfaces with a spring clip to improve gear change feel but the radius/diameter is absolutely the same ... now the 0A4 five speed (very similar to 02A/J) that comes in an mk5 has a smaller diameter shaft at the lower boss but you can't use one of those in a 02J due to other internal shift mechanism differences

Last edited: