Injection pump timing

77vette88

TDI
Are the injection pumps timed in the mk4 . Have an 11mm pump from a 02 timing belt shredded teeth and I'm trying to get my research down before I start the rebuild . I tried the search button first but didn't come up with much

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Nah, just slap it on and let the injectors fire whenever...

Sarcasm aside, yes, the injection pump needs to be timed to the engine, as do the camshaft and crankshaft.

Mistime the pump and the car will not run. Mistime the cam and your engine will make unpleasant (and expensive) mechanical noises.

Pump timing via VCDS is here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=240450&highlight=timing+revisited

The above assumes you have the engine mechanically timed / synchronized, which is part of the timing belt procedure here: http://pics3.tdiclub.com/articles/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Yes they are. Here is a link:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=337675

However, that is such a small part of a timing belt change out that you should look at the A4 timing belt procedure document before you go further.

There is so much info on this site on rebuilding the head and replacing the timing belt system with a proper kit.

77vette88

TDI
Ok so u time it by the vcds . Thanks for the help . Yeah cam and crank I know need to be on point just wasn't sure if injection pump needed to be timed like that also

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Ok so u time it by the vcds . Thanks for the help . Yeah cam and crank I know need to be on point just wasn't sure if injection pump needed to be timed like that also

It's mechanically timed but the ECU manages it when the engine is running. The photos show how to actually adjust the pump in that link i posted. VCDS doesn't actually change anything. You use it to see where the timing landed for the final adjustment.

77vette88

TDI
Thanks for the info . I'm going to read up on all the links in trying to take in all the info I can

I'm not getting my head rebilt it was not salvagable so I'm gunna pick up a used one off of eBay . Slap it on and hope for the best . I already checked the deck and it's ok . But any reputable machine shop should b able to rebuild a head .

I'm sure there's some people on here who could recommend someone who spelazies on these heads

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
You might search in the "For Sale" section looking for a used head as well.

Franko6 here is probably the best known and best respected head builder/rebuilder on this site, his business IIRC is "Franks TDI Repair."

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Thanks for the info . I'm going to read up on all the links in trying to take in all the info I can

I'm not getting my head rebilt it was not salvagable so I'm gunna pick up a used one off of eBay . Slap it on and hope for the best . I already checked the deck and it's ok . But any reputable machine shop should b able to rebuild a head .

I'm sure there's some people on here who could recommend someone who spelazies on these heads
Why would you do that? There is a lot of crap on ebay that might work for the first 5-10k miles then fail on your because of the low quality. For all the work you will be doing to rebuild you should verify the source and quality of what you are purchasing.

I would rather buy a good used one before buying any Chinesium crap.

eg:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/d/volkswagen-tdi-parts-alh-bew/6301579186.html

You also should check with Franko6 on here for his thoughts. He rebuilds many heads.

77vette88

TDI
I'm buying a used alh head pulled off of a 03 alh motor that was said to be a running motor when they removed it comes with cam . It's only $300. When I get it Ill check to see if it's warped or not and decide if I want to have valve seals installed . Or just slap it on . If all else fails I have a running alh motor sitting in my garage next to the car mated to a 5 spd tranny

77vette88

TDI
Back to the original question, are you looking for info to rebuild the pump?
Not as of right now I was looking for timing marks so when I put the head on and time the motor everything would b ok. it has about 140k on it I'm gunna hope it works properly and doesn't leak
It was my fathers car timing belt ripped off a few teeth . Head is demolished car has been sitting for about a year and a half . I'm gunna put a head on and hope it's gunna start.
I was gunna 5 speed swap it but I decided if I'm gunna put a lot of work into something I would rather have a wagon to put work into .

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Not as of right now I was looking for timing marks so when I put the head on and time the motor everything would b ok. it has about 140k on it I'm gunna hope it works properly and doesn't leak
It was my fathers car timing belt ripped off a few teeth . Head is demolished car has been sitting for about a year and a half . I'm gunna put a head on and hope it's gunna start.
I was gunna 5 speed swap it but I decided if I'm gunna put a lot of work into something I would rather have a wagon to put work into .
When they sit up like that for so long it can cause the seals to start to leak. Should be easy enough for you to fix it with a kit.

77vette88

TDI
When they sit up like that for so long it can cause the seals to start to leak. Should be easy enough for you to fix it with a kit.

Ok I will look into that. my other option is to save the 11mm pump for the wagon I plan on buying and modifying and throw the 10mm pump from the running motor I just pulled out of my doner car and putting that in the auto . I know that the 10mm (manual) one is good I had the car running b4 I pulled the engine .

Last edited:

77vette88

TDI
Sounds like a plan.
The Pump, Cam and Crank are all aligned for mechanical timing on the diesel. It's a different procedure than a gas motor. MKIV or A4 is just a platform.
All forum search engines seem a bit lacking, even in Advanced or Boolean mode.
Try this user contributed search, use the input box near the center left of the page.

Yeah I figured they were I'm new in the diesel field I've only been working in it for a few years now I have done a few Cummings pumps due to lack of maintenance and crap fuel. But there all gear driven and I usually set to what ever in suppose to remove and replace . Now im in fleet so 6.0 fords 6.6 durmax big cummins and Detroit 50's are what I'm getting into now