Regular maintenance parts on Mk7

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Does anyone know if the Mk7 uses different parts than the Mk6 for oil filter, fuel filter, engine and cabin air filter? I'm just trying to get an idea, as I like to keep 2-3 of each on hand for doing maintenance, and it would be nice if I can just keep ordering the same parts I have for my Mk6.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Oil filter fuel filter are both different.

haven't checked cabin or intake filter.

IDparts usually has cross platform parts cross checking if you punch in part numbers.

DGS filter should also be the same but not 100% sure.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Cabin and Air filters are smaller and the DSG filter is the same (with same service proceedure) as the MK6.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have bought two K+N filters, cabin filter and engine filter, which are permanent filters, Just need some cleaning and adding some fluids to coat the filters again.
Diesel filter needs to be bought wherever you can find it, no permanent filters for that.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I have bought two K+N filters, cabin filter and engine filter, which are permanent filters, Just need some cleaning and adding some fluids to coat the filters again.
Diesel filter needs to be bought wherever you can find it, no permanent filters for that.
EEK! :eek: K&N air filter... Cabin, maybe, but under the hood, factory "cold region" filter is best. I'm sure it works, but I know they have caused some problems with sensors downstream from the oiling material.

As always with anything, YMMV ???

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think the air filter change interval on these cars is 60,000 miles. Fuel filter is 20K, oil 10K. I doubt you'll be changing anything but the oil filter every six months.

My own belief is that K&N filters are OK for the MAF until you re-oil them. If not done right, that's when they cause problems. I'll leave discussion of their inferior ability to filter air to others.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I just pull the OEM filter and never replace it, one less maintenance item, she runs a little more rough on dirt roads but I swear there's a good 5HP gain just by tossing the stock filter and riding dirty. ;)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
EEK! :eek: K&N air filter... Cabin, maybe, but under the hood, factory "cold region" filter is best. I'm sure it works, but I know they have caused some problems with sensors downstream from the oiling material.
Everyone I've talked to says the stock airbox is big enough on the Mk6, so I'd assume the Mk7 is no different. I did upgrade mine on my Golf to a PD150 (did notice a small performance increase, but I also upgraded the intercooler and all associated piping from the airbox to the motor).

I think the air filter change interval on these cars is 60,000 miles. Fuel filter is 20K, oil 10K. I doubt you'll be changing anything but the oil filter every six months.
Didn't know it was 60K. I just change mine whenever it looks pretty dirty, which is 2-3x a year. Of course, I always do fuel filter and oil on time. Cabin air filter around here gets changed about 3-4x a year.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Moved to 60k for the engine air filter. Remember the motor gets a lot of air recirculated via EGR and is a likely cause of the extended interval. I replaced mine at 60k and it looked rather clean! I did pull the snow screen on mine when I had it apart as well. There's also a secondary warm-air "door" that is operated via thermostat to likely allow warm air in during cold days. It's got a snorkel attached that runs to a metal pipe that pulls air from directly over the turbo hot-side. Interesting setup!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Moved to 60k for the engine air filter. Remember the motor gets a lot of air recirculated via EGR and is a likely cause of the extended interval. I replaced mine at 60k and it looked rather clean! I did pull the snow screen on mine when I had it apart as well. There's also a secondary warm-air "door" that is operated via thermostat to likely allow warm air in during cold days. It's got a snorkel attached that runs to a metal pipe that pulls air from directly over the turbo hot-side. Interesting setup!
Nice. 60k and not sooty. That warm air recirc setup is carried on from MK5 but pretty neat when you realize what's for.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I have been surprised how clean my mk6 air filters are at 60k too. Especially considering the dusty gravel road I live on. It's a well designed intake. I've heard that once compressed the filter seal will tend to leak , so I don't bother inspecting/reusing them- just replace every 60k.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Well, I don't have EGR on either Mk4 or my Mk6; the EGR will eventually get deleted on the Mk7, but not yet. I also found the water-cooled intercooler a pretty novel idea.

I have been surprised how clean my mk6 air filters are at 60k too. Especially considering the dusty gravel road I live on. It's a well designed intake. I've heard that once compressed the filter seal will tend to leak , so I don't bother inspecting/reusing them- just replace every 60k.
Yup, I know how bad your road is. Makes my road look like the interstate, although prior to today, you could ride a bike on the road and send dust everywhere (yours is full of bumps and holes, mine is just dusty).

I might need to change my filters soon if we have a recreation of last year. Meaning, after a late summer heavy rainstorm, we get an over-abundance of snout-nosed butterflies. By over-abundance, I mean enough where yes, you need to take your air filter element out and use a shop vac to clean up the mess. The windshield was even worse last year. I do wonder, because even though we're approaching into fall, I saw more moths/butterflies on the road home last night than I have the entire year.
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2016...tterflies-returns-to-central-and-south-texas/

Last edited: