New to me MK5 Jetta TDI....Big step coming from Subaru

Mikeyrad

TDI
MK5 jetta
Greetings all. I've been a long time Subaru nutcase and finally need a commuter car for my weekly 300+ mile commute to Boston from midcoast Maine. Looks like a MK5 TDI is my best bet and many friends have been trying to get me to take the plunge. I am hopefully purchasing this beauty mid-March.
188k. Unknown service records. Guy inherited it from his dad who passed away. Spent all of its life in Maryland and southern PA so the underside is CLEAN compared to all new England cars. Taking it for timing belt service the day I get it. Hoping it's going to be a good buy.

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
Welcome to forum. It's a beautiful car. If you don't have service history at the car. Better inspection the camshaft and lifters condition before replace timing belt and other components and if you found out need replacing cam and lifters you may do it with timing belt at same time.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I also switched from subaru recently I had a 2003 forester. It was in a crash too bad it was a good car.
Nice lookin car though. Really like the red.

Mikeyrad

TDI
MK5 jetta
Thanks for the info. There is a guy who is on the trusted list of techs not to far from me. I'll bring it to him and have him go thru it. I want it to last a long time so I'm going to take very good care of it

Mikeyrad

TDI
MK5 jetta
So the guy on the trusted list of tech apparently has alot of anger towards TDis these days and no longer works on them.