TDIFest 2016 location discussion

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
As you know there is a process for Fest bids it is getting late already for Next year and 1 group has dropped out do it appears as if only 1 group is in process at this point!
Right. I am thinking about people wanting to plan next year fest. It's never to early to start the pre process.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
It's looking like Lisa and I won't be attending TDIfest 2016. We will be attending the INDYCAR Boston event on Labor Day weekend. F1 (EDIT: IndyCar) Grand Prix racing on the streets of Boston!! :cool:
www.indycarboston.com

Anybody interested in TDIfest in the Boston area again??

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It's looking like Lisa and I won't be attending TDIfest 2016. We will be attending the INDYCAR Boston event on Labor Day weekend. F1 Grand Prix racing on the streets of Boston!! :cool:
www.indycarboston.com

Anybody interested in TDIfest in the Boston area again??
That sounds fun! I hope the weather is good for it. :cool:

n1das

TDI
Which is being proposed: IndyCar of F1? (Hint: It's NOT F1).:rolleyes:
It's IndyCar. I had IndyCar confused with F1.

If the IndyCar Boston event doesn't happen then attending TDIfest 2016 is Plan B depending on the 'fest location. It made me wonder if there would be any interest in having TDIfest in the Boston area again.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It made me wonder if there would be any interest in having TDIfest in the Boston area again.
I suspect members in the rest of the country are a bit tired of TDIFests in the Northeast. Hell, I'm tired of it and I live here.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I love going to the Northeast......But it seems like Fests may be going away .....people aren't stepping up and the core group is getting burned out it seems to me....:( I guess I can find something else to do on Labor Day weekend....l

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Fly out to San Diego, Play 18 holes at Torrey Pines. Take a tour of Scripps Institute of Oceanography, watch the Hang Gliders at the Torrey Pines glider port, watch the sun set on the Pacific from La Jolla Shores after you walk along the beach from Scripps Pier to the Children's Pool. Any number of great restraunts you can watch the sun set over a glass of great California wine. That is just one short day. On the down side, parking at the beach is an issue.

n1das

TDI
Fly out to San Diego, Play 18 holes at Torrey Pines. Take a tour of Scripps Institute of Oceanography, watch the Hang Gliders at the Torrey Pines glider port, watch the sun set on the Pacific from La Jolla Shores after you walk along the beach from Scripps Pier to the Children's Pool. Any number of great restraunts you can watch the sun set over a glass of great California wine. That is just one short day. On the down side, parking at the beach is an issue.
I love San Diego! Been there many times. Lisa and I vacationed there in December 2013 and stayed in La Jolla at the La Jolla Shores hotel, formerly known as the Sea Lodge years ago. We also dined at the famous Marine Room restaurant where the ocean waves wash up against the large picture windows at high tide. I drove there from NH and back in my 535d. The 535d had around 16k miles on it at the time.

If the IndyCar Boston event doesn't happen, my Plan B would be to drive out to TDIfest if it were held in San Diego. I would gladly do the cross country drive to go to TDIfest if it were held in San Diego. :cool:

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
When is the deadline by which the location of the next TDIfest is decided? And are tickets pre-sale only?

MonsterDog

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta

As long as we add the Zoo, sounds like a great date for me! And I guess I would trade the golf for a hike at Torrey Pines Park.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I don't Play Golf and don't much like the Left Coast.....so that's not going to work....
:(

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Biggest problem with doing something like this in SoCal is the cost. Not much is inexpensive there.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Biggest problem with doing something like this in SoCal is the cost. Not much is inexpensive there.
Same issue with any tourist town, even Boston if you are not a local is expensive. Right? Now, I don't golf and $150 for 18 holes at Torrey Pines seems a bit much to me, but golf nuts pay it and more. I just tried to book a hotel room in San Jose, Costa Rica for January - They wanted $300/night, because I was a tourist. On top of that $30 each way to and from the Airport. No complimentary shuttle service - it is a "profit center" now. Enough of my complaints. Wisconsin sounds great for the TDI Fest. Just hope we get the volunteers. I will be driving again, with some luck.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Boston is stupid expensive, even if you are a local. A Fest here wouldn't work very well, although we got close in Braintree in '04.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
When is the deadline by which the location of the next TDIfest is decided? And are tickets pre-sale only?
There isn't a strict deadline. What has happened in the past is that the announcement of which of several competing bids had won the hosting duties came in the mid-late winter (Jan, Feb ish).
More recently there have been fewer bids, sometimes none vetted sufficiently to make such an early announcement.

"tickets" are (have in the past been) a registration reserved in your name. Confirmation of purchase is sent with payment, the badge/pass is picked up on site.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
There isn't a strict deadline. What has happened in the past is that the announcement of which of several competing bids had won the hosting duties came in the mid-late winter (Jan, Feb ish).
More recently there have been fewer bids, sometimes none vetted sufficiently to make such an early announcement.

"tickets" are (have in the past been) a registration reserved in your name. Confirmation of purchase is sent with payment, the badge/pass is picked up on site.
Okay, thanks for the info Lug_Nut. It might be nice to go next year, depending on where the event is. Me personally, anything within 1000 miles of Southern California or Texas works for me. Mostly, because I'd be driving, with my 2 dogs in tow (which also means I'll always have a cheaper hotel, because the nice ones don't like pets).

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Well, if we're going outside Canada and these United States, Wolfsburg ought to be the place. :D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Monaco would be great. ;)
Well, get a group together and see if we can make that happen. Won't be very people driving there, but I bet it would be a great time anyway.;)
San Diego was a no-go, but LA area is still in consideration?

Monaco, CA is roughly mid-way between LAX and Torrance.

http://california.hometownlocator.com/ca/los-angeles/monaco.cfm

Why not? The 2015 fest was near to Mexico, Peru, and Poland. Have a fest near Monaco. I'll drive.

Last edited: