What did you do to your MK7 today?

cmschmie

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6MT
ceramic tint going on this weekend. 35% sides, 20% back.
The dealer agreed to tint the windows on my car when it gets to the dealership. Sorta makes up for the confusion of the order when I first ordered the car. While it's probably not ceramic, it will have a lifetime warranty through the installer.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Not yet. I'm gonna try to find a shop that will run the wiring for me. I can't get over thinking that there has got to be a better way. Just wish VCDS was translated. It would be much easier to figure out if there is in fact a better way.

It has to do with how wires were repurposed. The wire that is for the signal in EU is repurposed to the sidemarker in NAM. A new wire must be run to each housing to power the amber signal (and possibly yet another to enable the rear fog lamp - can't remember).

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
It has to do with how wires were repurposed. The wire that is for the signal in EU is repurposed to the sidemarker in NAM. A new wire must be run to each housing to power the amber signal (and possibly yet another to enable the rear fog lamp - can't remember).
There is a harness available, but it has to be run from the front to rear and requires coding to activate. Its a complicated install.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
Where did you get those? I was thinking I'd just replace the bulbs, but that looks a LOT better!
I got mine at HS tuning. OEM parts, includes the harness necessary for activation of the amber turn signals, but they are completely plug and play and error free without it. I was very satisfied with the transaction. They processed my order in about 30 minutes. Were on a UPS truck the next day.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, you can get them from Ed over on the vortex, $599 shipped. Look in the mk7 classifieds for the post.
Chinese version, no harness - buyer beware. 800 with the harness from HS.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a little free time, so installed my LED tails last night as well. The harness install and coding necessary to get the Amber turn signal to work will be left to a professional!

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
Tint went on today. Makes such a big difference on a white car. Gotta snap some pics!

StormyTDi

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL Manual
My tint went on today, not as dark as most but maxed at Virginia legal (50% front sides/ 35% back sides and hatch). What a massive difference at night - no need for the rear view mirror to be adjusted anymore!!! The installers were great, but called the little triangles in the front "devil windows" and said they couldn't put tint in there due to the lack of accessibility.

robbydawgs

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
What did I do today to my 2015 TDI SEL? I asked the dealer about trading it in for the GTI. IDK but I'm only 1000 miles in and I'm already underwhelmed. Anyone else feel that way with their first diesel? I've had many VWs but I have to say I'm not giddy about the way it drives. As a new diesel owner, what do I need to get over to finally start enjoying this car?

twistedcricket

TDI
No TDIs
What did I do today to my 2015 TDI SEL? I asked the dealer about trading it in for the GTI. IDK but I'm only 1000 miles in and I'm already underwhelmed. Anyone else feel that way with their first diesel? I've had many VWs but I have to say I'm not giddy about the way it drives. As a new diesel owner, what do I need to get over to finally start enjoying this car?
What were you expecting? Which trim level did you get? if you're comparing it to the GTI, I think the comparable trim level is the SE at least, but maybe the SEL.

My 2015 has 3,000 miles and is great! Is it as quick as my old Nissan Altima 3.5L v6 or motorcycle? Nope. Only the motorcycle gets better fuel economy, but only by a little bit and I can't drive that in the winter in the midwest.

If you have the automatic I have found that while driving in town I prefer to leave my DSG in the Sport mode. It helps me get out of people's way if they're in more of a hurry than I am.

If you were thinking this would be the fastest of the Golfs, it's not. I bought my TDI because I take a lot of road trips and the Altima was falling apart (rusting in precarious places). I really like the fuel economy. Even though gas prices dropped considerably, I still think this is a great purchase for me. Eventually those gas prices will go back up...

Is the ride too stiff? Did the dealer remove the pucks from the suspension? (it's documented on this forum somewhere) If you hit the smallest bump and it's bone-shattering, that might be an issue.

Could you be more specific about what you're not happy with? Maybe start a new thread and ask for opinions?

Southalabama84

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
I've been trying to clean out the garage and sold a set of axles I picked up several years ago. I wish I would have moved the towel before taking the picture. I also had the windows tinted earlier this week. 32% on the front doors and 20% on the rest.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
My tint went on today, not as dark as most but maxed at Virginia legal (50% front sides/ 35% back sides and hatch). What a massive difference at night - no need for the rear view mirror to be adjusted anymore!!! The installers were great, but called the little triangles in the front "devil windows" and said they couldn't put tint in there due to the lack of accessibility.
I had mine tinted yesterday. When I dropped it off, I said they didn't have to worry about those little windows, since it seemed impossible to get to. They INSISTED they would cover them. When I picked it, they weren't tinted and they didn't even mention it :rolleyes:

Southalabama84

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
When I had mine tinted I asked about them when I picked it up and they said it was impossible to get the tint to lay down. He told me they cut the tint and tried but didn't have room to apply it. The windows are so small I don't think it will make much of a difference.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Rear fog tweak:

Cluster message when switch left on no key;

Cluster display when rear fog on;

Exterior with rear fog on;

Bought the repair wire today to get my drivers side reverse light back, had to use to original one for the trigger fog light.
Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

cmschmie

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6MT
I really want to install the VW Driver Gear springs. Just a little too expensive to do right now and I am not sure I could do it myself.

noother

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
TruDI

VWR springs, carbon spoiler, carbon VW emblem, de-badge, 20mm wheel spacers. Took me about 2.5 hours to replace the front springs, five minutes for the rear springs. I like the looks and the handling much better now.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Jason,
is that the deAutoKey rear fog?
Nope just a regular Sylvania 77xx or whatever it was, the voltage is a bit higher on that wire.
Pretty easy to do once I go ogled it

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

cmschmie

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6MT
VWR springs, carbon spoiler, carbon VW emblem, de-badge, 20mm wheel spacers. Took me about 2.5 hours to replace the front springs, five minutes for the rear springs. I like the looks and the handling much better now.
Did you have an alignment done after you installed the springs? Looks good.

noother

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Did you have an alignment done after you installed the springs? Looks good.
Thanks. I checked the toe up front before and after, it changed less than my measurement accuracy with a tape measure so I don't think an alignment is necessary. Nothing is adjustable in the rear and caster and camber don't appear to be adjustable up front, that just leaves front toe.
I check toe by placing tape on the tread of the front tires facing as far to the rear as you can measure below the car. Measure between two points, then roll the car forward until the tape faces forward, measure between the same two points. The difference is the toe, mine was about 1/16" in before, and after maybe just slightly less, but still toed in. She still tracks very nicely so I don't think mine needs any adjustment. I'll keep an eye on tire wear.
I heard of people paying 80 to 160 dollars for a 4-wheel alignment after the spring change, but I just can't see paying that much if only one of the six elements is even adjustable and toe is an easy check.
Mark

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Where did you get the carbon emblem? Is it specific to the rear hatch handle or could it be used front and rear?

noother

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Where did you get the carbon emblem? Is it specific to the rear hatch handle or could it be used front and rear?
Rooski, I found it on ebay, search for carbon fibre trunk badge mk7 and you should be able to find it. It is actually the same plastic vw emblem in black with carbon fiber placed behind it. The front is different, let me know if you find one.

Mark

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL

How is the clearance up front? I'm really thinking about doing this but am scared with out a skid plate to protect the oil pan. Thanks!

noother

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
How is the clearance up front? I'm really thinking about doing this but am scared with out a skid plate to protect the oil pan. Thanks!
Merrill, the car still isn't that low, I haven't been able to scrape it on anything yet. I've hit some big dips which felt like it bottomed out the suspension and speed bumps aren't a problem. You would probably need to hit a big rock or straddle a curb do do any damage under there. I'm not worried. Mark

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
Merrill, the car still isn't that low, I haven't been able to scrape it on anything yet. I've hit some big dips which felt like it bottomed out the suspension and speed bumps aren't a problem. You would probably need to hit a big rock or straddle a curb do do any damage under there. I'm not worried. Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark!