Thinking about selling my B5. So what are they worth?

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
I am thinking about either trading in my B5 or selling it with an extended warranty. I have not done the balance shaft or steel glow plug change. I have not been on the forum much and was a bit surprised to see many threads on the above problems. I have never really liked the feel of the passat and I am not willing to spend anymore money on it. It was my wife's vehicle until about a year ago and I can't stand an automatic. So I am curious what these B5s have been going for. It has 60k on the odo. Thanks for any info. GD

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Market is sort of soft across the board right now. And since most people selling them won't tell the potential buyer about the issues, that will even further deteriorate the value an otherwise very nice car, since the next buyer will almost certainly be victim to massive repairs.

I would say sedan high end would be $15k, wagon a little more. But realistically $12k would seem a little closer to the norm right now. This is a buyer's market, not a seller's. I wish I had the cash, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. :eek:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
$5600 and I'll pick up assuming the car is located in the continental 48 states...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
dieseldorf said:
$5600 and I'll pick up assuming the car is located in the continental 48 states...
Contiguous :). There are 49 continental states.

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
$5000?

I spent more than that on oil for it! :D

In all honesty it has been a good vehicle. I have been a member since 2000 with a 99 beetle and 00 jetta. both vehicles caused me to spend a lot of time on the board due to problems and tinkering. it was fun. since i have had the passat a little one came along and since i haven't really had much for problems i have not been on the board much. last week i was digging for some rattle info and decided to read all the "BS" posts to see what was up. I am not sure I have an immediate problem with the BS issue the glow plugs need to be changed out asap. i love working on my TDI and CRD but the Passat is just not a comfy vehicle for me. I also hate the auto trans. Now if i can only get $5k for it i will put up with the auto trans. :mad:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The BS upgrade and Glow plug udate is at least 4K.........It is very unfortunate........If you really want to sell suggest using Ebay or Autotrader or Craigs list........I would not own one that hasn't had the updates........

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
Contiguous :). There are 49 continental states.
Oy vey! It's Friday afternoon. OK, how 'bout the "lower 48"? Does that work :)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GoneDiesel said:
So what are they worth?
Gone, my three best recs are:
  • search here in Cars For Sale, date range over the past 8 weeks, you'll get a flavor for what they're bringing
  • Sell in 6 months
  • Review completed sales on eBay to see closing prices

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
dieseldorf said:
  • Sell in 6 months
Good idea. Fuel prices in general go up in the summer, and the price gap between diesel and RUG drops as winter demand for distillates wanes in the summer. And even though prices won't go up as much as last summer, it will still be higher than now. Diesels (and hybrids) bring in primo dollars when gas prices spike. Plus, there's some speculation in the "Fuels & Lubricants" forum section that diesel fuel will be less than RUG this summer based on futures. I think it was a Bloomberg article that suggested that. So I could see diesel vehicles commanding more of a price premium in the summer than they do now. Plus, it can't hurt to let the economy recover just a bit before selling.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
To position yourself for a sale, in addition to checking Ebay, Craigslist and Autotrader, use Kelly Bluebook < kbb.com > and NADA < nada.com > used car values. As OH says above, now all car sales are soft and if you can wait till summer, you may get a better sale. There is no guarantee about the future of the car market.....

Using kbb or nada, realistic selling prices fall somewhere between "retail" and "trade-in." You will need to enter all your car's details to get an accurate price.

Knowledgeable buyers will ask you about the BS module and the ceramic glow plugs: others may not be informed on these issues.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
There is just way too much paranoia on here. This guy has been gone for years and has had no problems with his passat and comes on here and gets the gloom and doom feel so much that he wants to sell it.

If the ceramic plugs worked fine for 60K don't worry about them. If one craps out then get them changed. Big deal.

Only a few people have had BS failures. Pay attention to any strange noises. Yeah, I know, "all will fail". Everything fails eventually. Some have over 200K on their cars with no failures.

You will lose more money by selling your passat and buying a new car than you would if you just replaced the BS.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
mparker326 said:
There is just way too much paranoia on here. This guy has been gone for years and has had no problems with his passat and comes on here and gets the gloom and doom feel so much that he wants to sell it.

If the ceramic plugs worked fine for 60K don't worry about them. If one craps out then get them changed. Big deal.

Only a few people have had BS failures. Pay attention to any strange noises. Yeah, I know, "all will fail". Everything fails eventually. Some have over 200K on their cars with no failures.

You will lose more money by selling your passat and buying a new car than you would if you just replaced the BS.

How do you spell "denial"

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
Not really doom and gloom...

but this is the straw. I am a bit disappointed in this Balance shaft stuff. The glow plug issue really isn't a big deal for myself. I have changed out the plugs on my A4. I have done several timing belts on the A4s. I have not tinkered with the B5 at all under the hood. So I wouldn't do the BS job myself but even if I did the price for parts is more than I would want to spend. The bottom line is I do not like the passat and really do not want to dump any money into it. The passat is a great looking car. Pretty much have not had any major problems but $2500 for the BS and another $200 for the plugs and reflash is more than I'd like to spend. I would loose that with a trade in. I appreciate the responses and will start keeping an eye on B5 sales. I looked at auto trader a few days ago and there wasn't a single B5 for sale. KBB has 04 B5 trade in at 15.5k and sale at 18k. Like those who have posted I would be surprised to get 15k with a sale. I would feel obligated to buy an extended warranty or sell to someone familiar with the product. If I could trade in for 15k I would do it. GD

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
oilhammer said:
This is a buyer's market, not a seller's.
Definitely the case. That is still something of a shock to us diesel owners I think, after years of operating in a very strong seller's market where TDIs brought double the price of an equivalent gasser. The B5.5 TDI had a very odd depreciation curve, where it hovered right around new MSRP for the first couple years, definitely above 20k being a normal price well into, say, 2007, and then the bottom fell out. But the market is definitely much more "normal" now for used TDIs. I liked the respect and attention diesels were getting for a while, but it was a little crazy seeing worn-out 52hp Rabbits selling for $4000 on ebay.

We got $19.5k for our B5.5 TDI wagon in December, and we got lucky. We (I, helping my folks sell their car) happened to find a buyer who both had the cash on hand, was ready to buy in a winter market, and appreciated what the car was and how it had been cared for. I felt the price was more than fair for him, given that I don't think it was possible there was a better-maintained example of the B5.5V anywhere in the area and it went with lots of extra parts and accessories. But if this guy hadn't come along ready to buy right then and looking for that exact car, I am sure we would have ended up letting it go for thousands less. And this was in the Seattle market, which even now is still generally much higher-priced than elsewhere (for TDIs as well as other trendy/outdoorsy/"green" cars like Subarus, etc).

Auto Trader is a good idea.

Last edited:

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
And here I am still reading the threads in this forum... old habits die hard. :)

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
The way I look at it is this. Mine is paid for. Where else for 3 grand will I get a car of this nature? There isn't any. If you don't like it, then sell it.

Owning a Passat is much like owning a Leica. I don't send my Leicas to Leica for repair because they think they should get $500 for a CLA and sometimes more. I send mine to DAG in Madison, WI. I consider him to be the Oilhammer of Leicas. My M4-2 had continuous light leak issues until DAG worked on it. He like Oilhammer, put in all the new updated parts and made it work better than new. Hey and I am the original owner of my M4-2 which btw cost nearly $700 in 1981. A new MP or M7 is like 5 grand. An M8 is even more. I admit I haven't run many rolls through my M since the advent of digital, but that camera probably has had several thousand rolls of film through it. I am sure glad I didn't have to pay for a bulk of that film as I used it for work.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Nine months ago $15k for a wagon with leather was a very good price, so I bought.
Seven months ago $15k for that same car was high, considering what I think to be a better car (the B4 wagons) could be had for less than half that, even though I personally prefer an automatic which the B4 TDI doesn't offer.
Then one month ago I dropped the $3k for the balancer drive upgrade in it. Now I'm in it for $18k. I could have another B4 wagon and two more B4 sedans for that.
I doubt there's anyone that thinks these are $18k cars, yet I bought well, had the upgrade performed competently and nearly at cost, and still don't think I could sell for much over $12k. That's a big chunk of depreciation in 9 months on a car that had already depreciated for nearly 48 months before I bought.
I'm stuck with it financially for quite some time, but there are many, much worse cars to own under those circumstances.

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Lug_Nut said:
Nine months ago $15k for a wagon with leather was a very good price, so I bought.
Seven months ago $15k for that same car was high, considering what I think to be a better car (the B4 wagons) could be had for less than half that, even though I personally prefer an automatic which the B4 TDI doesn't offer.
Then one month ago I dropped the $3k for the balancer drive upgrade in it. Now I'm in it for $18k. I could have another B4 wagon and two more B4 sedans for that.
I doubt there's anyone that thinks these are $18k cars, yet I bought well, had the upgrade performed competently and nearly at cost, and still don't think I could sell for much over $12k. That's a big chunk of depreciation in 9 months on a car that had already depreciated for nearly 48 months before I bought.
I'm stuck with it financially for quite some time, but there are many, much worse cars to own under those circumstances.
But for that first 48 months, it didn't depreciate almost at all, especially considering the miles yours has. I think what has happened is the depreciation curve just caught up with itself in the last year. All the slow depreciation that was supposed to have happened over the last 4-5 years on these cars was postponed by a combination of lucky factors (high fuel prices, interest in biofuels, lack of availability of new TDIs). Then, when those reasons all faded in recent months, the price of this and other late-model diesel cars collapsed, and all that postponed depreciation came down in one big lump.

The question was just whether you bought and sold at the right time, and some of us on here surely have our regrets about that... if my folks had sold their car 6 months earlier, last summer, in the Seattle market, when fuel prices were high and none of the big issues about the B5 TDI had come out yet, they would probably have gotten over $23k for it, or practically what they had paid for it new, since that was the going rate for a pristine B5 TDI wagon in the area at that time. Selling it in December, we took a $4k hit even though the car was in identical condition, and it could have been a lot worse if things hadn't worked out like they did. Lug Nut, same story, if you had bought now instead of then, with the market pushing prices down and the BS and ceramic plugs issue giving extra bargaining power, you could have laid out thousands less. Sorry.

Oh well. :p

If I remember right, your B4 is a complete DIY TDI, a GLX swap. While you were at it, why didn't you just build an automatic B4? Compared to the rest of the swap, that part probably would have been easy.

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
A VW salesman was telling me the other day, that every week they get AT LEAST ONE potential customer coming in through their door, looking for a Passat TDI, new OR used. They all end up walking out the door in a sad state, as new ones don't obviously exist (yet), and to find used examples of the B5.5 TDI, even with the issues discussed on this forum, are very hard to come by. At least here in this area anyways. People are still holding on to them. My Passat TDI will be sold within the week if I put it up for sale. But I'm not (yet).

Last edited:

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Given the BS module and glow plug issues, now corrected in my wife's B5.5V, I by hindsight would go back and never have bought the car: I'd have searched for another pristine B4V like mine.

But even Scotty cannot beam me back 5 years, and as well, with the technical issues fixed, my wife says I can get her B5.5 keys back when I pry them from her cold, dead hands..... so I'll proclaim myself happy as-is and not entertain any thoughts of selling it!

vwtom

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE
I think there a number of Passat owners that are trying to quantify the actual potential problems with our cars. I know a few people with many more miles than I that are simply enjoying their cars and not obscessing with every potential that could come up. (Mine has 93M). The car runs fine and sounds fine. I see every time someone trys to find hard data, the group tends to silence them with "oh he is in denial". I am not so sure. I have found this site to be very helpful at times but I also see a very strong bias toward "facts" that I have not seen to be true in my world. I think there a number of people like me that sit silently by while a select few defines "reality". Maybe I should just enjoy my car and quit obscessing over what might go wrong.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
VWtom, before you make a statement like you've made, I need to ask you: Have you listened to a post and pre-gear converted car in the flesh? Have you driven first a chain driven model and then immediately after drive another Passat TDI, but with the gear driven bs assembly? If you have not, you do not have first hand knowledge needed to learn of the subtle but real differences that the conversion will do for your driving experience.

I am having mine done for peace of mine because when I am on vacation (the reason why I bought the car) with a B5.5 passat, you do not want it puking on you in the middle of a long road trip. I am also doing mine because at nearly 5 years, my timing belt should really be replaced just because of the age factor. While my car is torn apart, I might as well just get it updated. It for me is a practical reason. Long term this will cost me less down time and $.

Any of you may choose to do what you will, but the conversion is the path I am choosing because of my opinion derived from experiencing first hand a converted machine along with the age of the timing belt.

Last edited:

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
I thought about selling my 05 GLS wagon when resale was still in the 20's. But, I couldn't come up with another car I liked better without spending 20K more(Beemer5 or A6). The same was true when I bought it new. So, the BS and glow plug repairs are a setback, but my plan is to keep this car in the family a long time.

The key statement by Gonediesel is that he just didn't like the Passat that much. When that is the case, it's bye-bye car.

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
If only this car had been a stick, NON of these threads would ever had existed..:mad: Well, at least they would have to a much lesser degree, isolated to the Auto users by their own free will and choice of having made that decison. :p Makes me wonder what the hypothetical used car values would of been between a stick and Auto one.
A stick version of these cars would of made even the glow plug issue a pleasure to convert to the steel ones, just for the fun of it!
Sigh...back to forum reality.. I was allowed to dream wasn't I? :eek:

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Speaking of dreams, I always wished there was someone who sold a turn key kit to convert the auto to a stick. You know, complete with a correct 5 or 6 speed tranny, pedals, console pieces, ecu, wiring harnesses, etc that all works. Something as plug and play if there was such a thing....