Changing Transmission Fluid - 2005 TDI Passat Automatic

Benedict

TDI
2015 Sportwagen
Hi, I've heard that replacing the transmission fluid on my car is more than just draining & filling it. Can anyone tell me more? Can anyone point me to a website that will tell me more?

Cheers

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
There is a write-up in the How-To section of the TDI 101, but that is for the four speed automatic(01M). It might give you some general idea.
I have the five speed auto in my 05 Golf(09A), but I'm not certain if you have the same in your Passat.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Take a fluid sample...This way you can determine how often it needs to be changed.

DB

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
you need vagcom to read the trans temp to get a correct fill I believe.

30k mile change interval is what I give our truck with the crappy E4OD, still going strong at 154k miles.

NHTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328D Xdrive
Have VW do it, I did.
By the time you buy all the necessary tools you'll be at VW's fluid change price and have a warrenty on the work as well.

cbass94

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2011 JSW
Yes, you do need a vag-com so that you can check the temp at just the right temperature. Because the fluid expands and contracts with temperature, if the fluid is too cold, you'll overfill. If it's too hot, you'll underfill. Here's some more information on the process with some good pics: http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange/

Here's a direct picture looking UP (yes I said "up") into the filler hole (the filler hole is on the bottom of the pan). Note the plastic guard with the square hole in the side just inside of the filler hole. You have to put the filler hose (whatever you use) into that square hole but be VERY CAREFUL not to bump the white plastic piece upward because it can get unseated and be knocked into the pan. http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/5399/CopyofTransfillerhole.jpg

Last edited: