2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2 - First Impressions

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Okay, wishful thinking. My car still pulls to the right. I have no issue with that because it already did that before they did anything to my car.

I will see my MPG‘s on the trip meter was down. This morning doing 70 mph on a 50 mile highway trip with about 95% of that on the highway without any stops it showed 43.7 MPG‘s. Before it would probably show about 47 or 48 MPG’s. Now it was in the high 50s this morning in Florida so that’s considered cold here. It usually isn’t like that. Now if whatever they did made my trip meter closer to the actual miles per gallon it is getting then I will be happy. My trip meter was off by about 4 to 5 miles per gallon. So whenever it shows about 48 miles per gallon I am actually only get about 44, which is right at what I was getting today.

Tomorrow I am going to fill up and and I’ll see how my first tank goes.

For the most part I feel no difference in driving the car except at six gear it feels like I have to press my pedal just a tad bit harder to keep the speed I want. It may be just that I’m not used to it anymore or maybe it did change slightly. Either way it’s not a real issue. I’m actually kind of liking how the car shifts in lower gears now. The car feels a bit more responsive.

After I had gotten into the city I wanted to try sport mode. There was pretty much no traffic so I floored it and the traction control kicked in and started pulling me to the right. I’m using Michelin premier A/S tired that grip the road really good so I’m surprised it actually started to pull me to the right song. I can’t ever recall doing that before. Hopefully it was a one time thing. I guess it really wouldn’t matter anyways because I never use sport mode anyways.

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Update

Just completed my first fuel refill since having Phase 2A Emissions Modification completed. Drive 823 miles, pumped in 17.45 gallons, for a hand-calc 47.17 MPG (prior best ever was 47.76 MPG hand-calc, and average since taking ownership in Nov 2017 prior to Phase 2A modification was 41.82 MPG. I will need a few more refills to determine if actual MPG went up / stayed same / dropped. But it is a good sign so far.

Also, regarding difference between display and hand-calc (to determine if the display calibration was in some way altered at Phase 2A), my average display reading prior to Phase 2A was 4.03% higher than hand-calc; on this single post Phase 2A fuel up, the display read 5.36% higher. I only had one previous time when the display showed a higher value greater than 5% above hand-calc, and that just happened to be the refill just prior to the Phase 2A emissions modification. So I'm not sure if I can say there is a calibration difference on what the display shows for MPG vs. hand-calc or not yet - will need several more fuel-ups to get some more data.

I would say there are no perceivable differences of any type pre & post Phase 2A.

So all-in-all, no ill effects from having Phase 2A completed. There is potential the fuel mileage could be slightly higher - we'll see.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've now completed 3 fill-ups since having Phase 2A done on my 2.0L Gen 3 2015 Passat (DSG). These 3 fill-ups yielded 3 of my top 4 MPG (hand-calc) values since owning the car (17 fill-ups since picked up in Nov 2017). Granted the early ones were started at the end of fall and through winter, so the results need to take this factor into consideration. I would need to see what the fall/winter results are compared to last year, but at this time, I would say fuel efficiency is no worse that it was after Phase 1, with a good chance it is slightly better.

On the display calibration, before Phase 2A, my display read 4.03% higher than hand-calc. In my 3 fill-ups after Phase 2A, my display read 5.39% higher. I'm getting my Cenex Roadmaster XL diesel fuel from a different station now, as my original cooperative changed hands and I didn't get a clear understanding if they stayed with Cenex Roadmaster XL fuel or went with something else. I could try one tank there at the pump I normally used before to see if that gets me back to a display read of 4% higher or not. I'll likely do that at my next refill.
One final update on my post-Phase 2 impressions (I only got Phase 2A, will get Phase 2B sometime after I got 70,000 miles on the car, only have about 24,000 miles on it now)

No operational differences that I've noticed vs. Phase 1. Shift points are identical. MPG may be up slightly, but until I get through a summer (into August 2019, which would give me a full year post-Phase 2A) to compare with the full year prior just post Phase 1), I really won't know.

As for the MFD calibration, I went back several times to the same station (same pump, in fact) that I used for all my post-Phase 1 fill ups, and found the difference between MFD MPG and hand-calc MPG to be identical (so what I saw before was simply a difference in how much 2 different fuel pumps "actually" dispensed vs. what the pumps said they dispensed). So there was absolutely no effect/no calibration change in what my MFD was saying (still about 4% high when using the same pump, no difference from post-Phase 1 vs. post-Phase 2A). So, when I'm ready, I'll make the calibration change so my MFD will be much closer to hand-calc values.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Finally bringing my 2015 Passat in next week for P2. It's taken over four months for this dealer to schedule this appointment because of a shortage of parts. A little disappointed in VW for not anticipating the demand based on P1 completions.
2nd owner of the car. Purchased before the lawsuit was filed, so obviously I had P1 done under my ownership. Currently at 50,000 miles.
I believe I'll get P2-1 and P2-2 (DPF), but who knows. If they do drop the frame, I get an alignment done myself.
Hopefully I can report back by months end with a positive experience.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Finally bringing my 2015 Passat in next week for P2. It's taken over four months for this dealer to schedule this appointment because of a shortage of parts. A little disappointed in VW for not anticipating the demand based on P1 completions.
2nd owner of the car. Purchased before the lawsuit was filed, so obviously I had P1 done under my ownership. Currently at 50,000 miles.
I believe I'll get P2-1 and P2-2 (DPF), but who knows. If they do drop the frame, I get an alignment done myself.
Hopefully I can report back by months end with a positive experience.
I would be interested to hear if you just get P2-A (2nd NOx Sensor and corresponding ECU reflash for it) or if you get the complete Phase 2 (P2-A&B). Given you are not the original owner, you need to be beyond a certain vehicle mileage threshold to get the complete Phase 2 fix. I don't kinow if that mileage threshold is 40,000 miles or 70,000 miles. You are the first one I've heard of that is in between, so I'd be interested to know which way VW goes on yours. Let us all know.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Filled up twice since getting phase 2. I thought my MPG would be closer to my hand calculated method, but it's not. What I was seeing is that my mpg's would stay low, for a longer period of time, but eventually it would catch up to what it would normally be after my morning commute.

What I don't like about phase 2 is that my revs seem a tad bit higher, and my transmission shifting at times can get a little wonky. Overall, I'm happy with phase 2 though.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
My vehicle was a stop sale.

Bought it with phase 1 applied, with 59 miles on the clock.

24k miles I had phase 2 completed.

Now, After phase 2, How will they notify me once my vehicle is near 70k miles if I never take it in for service?

Hmm...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
My vehicle was a stop sale.

Bought it with phase 1 applied, with 59 miles on the clock.

Now, After phase 2, How will they notify me once my vehicle is near 70k miles if I never take it in for service?

Hmm...

They won't notify you. Per the notification for Phase 2 (or if you did not receive a notification for Phase 2, you can look up the generic letter on line here), you are responsible to notify your VW dealer once your vehicle is beyond 70,000 miles, that you what Phase 2B completed (hardware). Your dealer will verify your vehicle is qualified to receive Phase 2B and will order the hardware kit for it. Once the dealer has the hardware kit received, you can set up an appointment to have the hardware kit installed (no cost to you).

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD

If you only had phase 2A completed, then you will need to notify your dealer after 70k miles to get 2B done. If however, you had both 2A and 2B done at the same time (which is possible even if you have less than 40k miles currently), then you are done and nothing happens at 70k miles.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
If you only had phase 2A completed, then you will need to notify your dealer after 70k miles to get 2B done. If however, you had both 2A and 2B done at the same time (which is possible even if you have less than 40k miles currently), then you are done and nothing happens at 70k miles.
Not exactly done if Phase 2B was completed at 24k miles. Somewhere before 150k (the booklet tells you more detail) one item will need to be replaced again - which is also at no cost to the owner. I would think it would be at the current owner's discretion - I don't believe there is an absolute requirement for this to be done (otherwise VW would need to notify you, which I don't believe is the expectation).

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Hmm. Invoice doesn't mention anything of phase 2b

Such complication

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
It should. What does the sticker they put under your hood, near the windshield, telling you?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Two stickers. Both proof of partial emissions repairs.

One is dated a few days before purchase, software update box not checked.

2nd one is from my visit a few months ago for the 23k phase 2. Software update and nox is checked.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Your phase 2 sticker, only indicating software and NOx, tells you only Phase 2A was done. You should have received some paperwork indicating to bring the car back after it has accumulated over 70,000 miles to get Phase 2B (all the hardware) installed under the Gen 3 TDI emissions fix. I'm in exactly the same situation, and I intend to get the hardware installed after I get 70,000 miles on mine.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Paperwork from dealer doing the work or something from vwovb?

I got 2 sheets. One is the safety inspection, other is the dealer service of parts used and n/c all down the price column.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Paperwork from dealer doing the work or something from vwovb?

I got 2 sheets. One is the safety inspection, other is the dealer service of parts used and n/c all down the price column.

On my dealer service sheet, it clearly says "Install 2.0L Gen 3 Phase II A Kit, install supplemental Vehicle Emissions Control Information Label and Install a TDI Emissions Modification Proof of Partial Completion Label..."

I suspect yours says the same. If not, your sticker clearly states (to me) you only had Phase II A installed, not the major hardware.

chirping

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2015 Passat. 54,xxx miles. Dropped it off Wednesday for Phase 2 and a few other minor items. No problem scheduling or getting parts. They got me in when I wanted. Got a loaner gas Passat (boo - but a lot better than walking), and waiting for loaner availability was the only time factor (a week). They called this morning to let me know that it’s done. I’ll pick it up Monday and share something then.

Last edited:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally dropped mine off this morning. (Monday 11/19). Told it *may* be ready Friday.
2015 Passat Tdi, 6 speed manual
Purchased used with 2,400 miles from a VW dealer (before the lawsuit was announced). Had P1 done under my ownership. Currently at 50,000 miles.
Can't wait to see what they do to this one. Will I get a DPF?
When I get the service record, I'll make a copy and post it here. Be interesting to see what they do.

jessej

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
post fix 2013 Jetta problems

Pardon me for interrupting this thread but I need help in knowing why my 2013 Jetta TDI is progressively getting poorer fuel mileage after the fix. I've talked to several other local owners in my area who have had the same experience. Are there knowledgeable TDI owners who know of a way to help stop the decline?

I know colder weather affects mileage but I never got under 40 before the fix. Warmer weather averaged around 45 with a DSG tranny. Manuals do much better because of lower rpm in high gear. It is disheartening because that is why I purchased a TDI. This is my last VW. Thank you.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Pardon me for interrupting this thread but I need help in knowing why my 2013 Jetta TDI is progressively getting poorer fuel mileage after the fix. I've talked to several other local owners in my area who have had the same experience. Are there knowledgeable TDI owners who know of a way to help stop the decline?

I know colder weather affects mileage but I never got under 40 before the fix. Warmer weather averaged around 45 with a DSG tranny. Manuals do much better because of lower rpm in high gear. It is disheartening because that is why I purchased a TDI. This is my last VW. Thank you.
This is a thread for 2.0L Gen III Phase 2 experiences. Yours isn't within this group. You may find better success in an existing 2.0L Gen I post-fix thread, or starting a new thread on your topic. Most who see this thread title would only have experience with the MY2015 2.0L TDI's.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE

Nobody (on this thread) knows!!
We have a different car!!
We have the 2015, a different engine and different fix.
There is a gen 1 and Gen 2 (Passat WITH DEF) fix thread if I recall right....
Good luck!

N_Jay

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Daughter's
Daughter just picked up a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium. From what we can tell it has not had any fixes done.
It shows and open service campaign "TDI Gen3 Phase 2 AEM" when you look up the VIN.

The car has 47K miles and is in excellent shape and drives very well.

Trying to get an opinion on, if and when we should get the update.

Thoughts?

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Daughter just picked up a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium. From what we can tell it has not had any fixes done.
It shows and open service campaign "TDI Gen3 Phase 2 AEM" when you look up the VIN.
The car has 47K miles and is in excellent shape and drives very well.
Trying to get an opinion on, if and when we should get the update.
Thoughts?
I believe 9/1/2018 was the deadline to file a claim. Visit this site:
https://claims.vwgoa.com/#/
for more information.
Who ever owned the car before you left some serious coin on the table if it's true a claim was never filed and the fixes not made. Other than that, car will perform fine. It's configured the way it was originally engineered. :)

Side note... Still waiting on Phase2 fix to be completed. Day number 8 at the dealer.

Last edited:

N_Jay

TDI
I believe 9/1/2018 was the deadline to file a claim. Visit this site:
https://claims.vwgoa.com/#/
for more information.
Who ever owned the car before you left some serious coin on the table if it's true a claim was never filed and the fixes not made. Other than that, car will perform fine. It's configured the way it was originally engineered. :)

Side note... Still waiting on Phase2 fix to be completed. Day number 8 at the dealer.
So trying to understand this a little better.

If you file a claim, you get cash and the repair (if you decide to go that way)?

I assume since it is a open service campaign, you get the repair at any time, at no cost. Right?

Has anyone found any leniency in the due date for cars bought after that date?

If the car is not repaired, I woudl assume that VW could give you grief if you ever tried to execute the drivetrain or emissions warranty? Thoughts?

Has anyone noticed any downside to the repair, specifically on 2015 Passat TDIs?

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
So trying to understand this a little better.
If you file a claim, you get cash and the repair (if you decide to go that way)?
I assume since it is a open service campaign, you get the repair at any time, at no cost. Right?
Has anyone found any leniency in the due date for cars bought after that date?
If the car is not repaired, I woudl assume that VW could give you grief if you ever tried to execute the drivetrain or emissions warranty? Thoughts?
Has anyone noticed any downside to the repair, specifically on 2015 Passat TDIs?
Njay... The way I understand it, it's too late to file a claim for a fix or buyback. 9/1/18 was the deadline. Can someone else verify? Will VOA allow consumers who missed the deadline pay for the fixes themselves? Who knows. Phase one was just a firmware fix, Phase 2 was firmware and new parts w/ vw saying 9 hours labor. Mine is getting P2 done as we speak. Been at the dealer since 9/19/18. Can you imagine the cost if I were paying for it myself?
I'd call VOA at 1-844-98-CLAIM. Give them your VIN. Ask if it's been "fixed". It may have already had all the fixes performed. Hard to imagine someone would not have done these fixes considering the money VW was paying out.
No foul if they are never done. Car will work fine. Will not affect the warranty that came with the car.

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Njay... The way I understand it, it's too late to file a claim for a fix or buyback. 9/1/18 was the deadline. Can someone else verify? Will VOA allow consumers who missed the deadline pay for the fixes themselves? Who knows. Phase one was just a firmware fix, Phase 2 was firmware and new parts w/ vw saying 9 hours labor. Mine is getting P2 done as we speak. Been at the dealer since 9/19/18. Can you imagine the cost if I were paying for it myself?
I'd call VOA at 1-844-98-CLAIM. Give them your VIN. Ask if it's been "fixed". It may have already had all the fixes performed. Hard to imagine someone would not have done these fixes considering the money VW was paying out.
No foul if they are never done. Car will work fine. Will not affect the warranty that came with the car.
Filing for claims is for restitution / buyback payment requests only - it does not affect getting the emissions fix work done. And I agree, I think the deadline for filing a claim ended on Sept 1 2018 here. Getting the emissions fix provides a warranty extension that has value in-and-of itself on the engine and exhaust systems.

I would look for emissions fix stickers under the hood to see if any work was performed, if documentation of the fix wasn't provided at the time of sale. Otherwise a VW dealer should be able to look it up with the VIN and advise you.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Filing for claims is for restitution / buyback payment requests only - it does not affect getting the emissions fix work done. And I agree, I think the deadline for filing a claim ended on Sept 1 2018 here. Getting the emissions fix provides a warranty extension that has value in-and-of itself on the engine and exhaust systems.
I would look for emissions fix stickers under the hood to see if any work was performed, if documentation of the fix wasn't provided at the time of sale. Otherwise a VW dealer should be able to look it up with the VIN and advise you.
Ahhh... Good info... So filing a claim entitles you to restitution, but VW will continue to do the emissions "fixes" no charge to the consumer. Interesting.

N_Jay

TDI

It shows as a service campaign, so whatever they do, I am sure they are paying for.
I am guessing that they have a commitment to get a certain percentage of the fleet either fixed or off the road, hence the success of the previous paying campaign may affect how hard they push to get some number of additional cars "fixed".

The two things I want to "weigh" are;
if doing the fix has any negative effects on drivability or MPG
and,
Does not doing the fix have any down side?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
It shows as a service campaign, so whatever they do, I am sure they are paying for.
I am guessing that they have a commitment to get a certain percentage of the fleet either fixed or off the road, hence the success of the previous paying campaign may affect how hard they push to get some number of additional cars "fixed".

The two things I want to "weigh" are;
if doing the fix has any negative effects on drivability or MPG
and,
Does not doing the fix have any down side?
First I would suggest looking for stickers under your hood. That will frame what you have now better.

Second, for these 2.0L Gen 3 engines, most folks who responded to this and similar threads have seen no drive-ability issues. MPG impacts are not clear to me (some say they went down a tad, others say no change, others say they saw a slight improvement). If this was a Gen 1 or Gen 2 question, there seems to exist a lot more negative effects on drive-ability and fuel economy - but not on these Gen 3 engines.

Not getting the fix - downsides? No extended warranty on your engine and exhaust system. And more emissions that the EPA says are harmful to our environment.