www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old October 17th, 2018, 22:15   #76
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

That looks awesome!!
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 20:46   #77
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

S.O.S. Calling all cars! I'm planning on picking up my car tomorrow, but the shop has a Code P0226 that appeared when they started the car and they couldn't clear it.
Here's what they emailed me:
"I chatted with our techs about the issues with your throttle. We have a code P0226 for a Throttle Pedal Position Implausible Signal. As of right now we can press the pedal down with no results. We took the pedal assembly apart to clean the contacts re-installed and we are still having the same issues. When we first got your car Casey mentioned that the carpet was completely wet. We've had your car inside at our shop the entire time. It is possible that there is some issue that moisture got in somewhere where it shouldn't have."

I'm planning on bringing my other ECU and VCDS cord with tomorrow to see if replacing the ECU does it or trying to clear the code a few times would do the trick.

The weird part is my dad was able to start it and drive it onto the trailer 2 months ago when it was moved from the old shop to the new one.

If you have any suggestions please feel free to post them, as I'd really like to get my car home tomorrow if at all possible. TIA.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 21:24   #78
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

If I remember right, there's triple redundancy in the throttle pedal - 3 signals that go in different directions - one goes from 0-5 while the other two go from 5-0 volts or something like that. I'm guessing there is a field in VCDS that will show those 3 outputs - one of them is probably stuck or not working like it should.

I looked in the OBD Scanners stickies, but didn't see a field with this info.

Good luck!
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 23:16   #79
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
If I remember right, there's triple redundancy in the throttle pedal - 3 signals that go in different directions - one goes from 0-5 while the other two go from 5-0 volts or something like that. I'm guessing there is a field in VCDS that will show those 3 outputs - one of them is probably stuck or not working like it should.

I looked in the OBD Scanners stickies, but didn't see a field with this info.

Good luck!
Thanks for looking around for some answers to my problem Matt.

I think I may have found the solution to my problem in these posts/threads.
The answer is in this thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ighlight=P0226

Here are the main posts that really matter:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...08&postcount=2

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...54&postcount=4

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...65&postcount=6

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=12

This post has a temporary fix that will hopefully allow us to drive the car home tomorrow. So if you guys could give this guys trick a try and let me know if it works would be fantastic. I plan on heading out around 11:30 AM tomorrow, so if you could email me if you guys get it figured out before say 10. If it's after 10, then please give me a call to say things are a go.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=13

If the temporary fix doesn't work, then I'll order a completely new switch and ship it to you guys to replace. Hopefully that will fix the problem and I can pick up the car when everything runs 100% in the next week or 2.
A few more helpful posts.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ighlight=P0226
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=253512
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old October 19th, 2018, 20:59   #80
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

I'm in a bit of a predicament, when I looked up the replacement accelerator pedal, I found out that there are two different part numbers as far as replacements. A 6Q1 721 503 M which is for the R32 and then there's a 6Q1 721 503 L which is for all MKIV TDIs.

My question is which one should I order?
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old October 24th, 2018, 11:00   #81
Hasenwerk

It doesn't matter part number, as there are different pedals for automatic vs manual TDIs, but it MUST say "DIESEL" on the sticker. The R32 will say "OTTO" and will not work.
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2018, 19:29   #82
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasenwerk View Post
It doesn't matter part number, as there are different pedals for automatic vs manual TDIs, but it MUST say "DIESEL" on the sticker. The R32 will say "OTTO" and will not work.
Thanks for replying to my question. To play it safe, I had the guys at VL Performance remove the pedal just to make sure I ordered the correct accelerator pedal. It ended up being a 6Q1 721 503 B accelerator pedal or as you mentioned a diesel pedal.

I was able to find a used pedal with the exact same part number on Ebay for $75 shipped. The lowest price I could find for a new one was $146 shipped, but it was getting shipped from Latvia and wouldn't arrive until the middle of November and needless to say I wasn't willing to wait that long.

Just a quick note that the latest revision has a part number of 6Q1 721 503 L for anyone that might find this thread/post.

With any luck I'll have the car back shortly and can post some updated pictures and video. They're going to dyno it to see what kind of numbers it makes with everything running 100%.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old October 25th, 2018, 09:38   #83
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Did you try the spare ECU by chance? I once had the same code for a bad pedal and was only able to limp home at 1200rpm through all gears. In my case, it turned out to be a bad solder job when the ECU was opened to chip it. New ECU + tune, and all was good.

Looking forward to the update!

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr

Last edited by adjat84th; October 25th, 2018 at 09:51.
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2018, 18:37   #84
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjat84th View Post
Did you try the spare ECU by chance? I once had the same code for a bad pedal and was only able to limp home at 1200rpm through all gears. In my case, it turned out to be a bad solder job when the ECU was opened to chip it. New ECU + tune, and all was good.

Looking forward to the update!
I actually just shipped the ECU down to them today. So hopefully between the replacement pedal and the TDTuning ECU, the car will run like it's supposed to.

The pedal arrived today according to tracking and the ECU should be there tomorrow, so with any luck they will have the car on the rollers at the end of this week or early next week.

They will be running logs and taking video when they dyno the car.

Any guesses at what kind of numbers it will put down?
To help with your guestimate, the changes that were made to the engine since I purchased it are +120% Firad nozzles, installed the gasket correctly between the turbine exit and downpipe, installed R32 DSG Airbox and snorkel, and went from a 2.5" exhaust with dual exit to a 2.5" downpipe to 3" exhaust with a Aeroturbine AT3030 muffler into a 3" turn down tip.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old November 16th, 2018, 20:45   #85
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

I seem to have the worst luck with the car this year. They figured out what was causing the pedal to not respond and it wasn't either the pedal assembly or the ECU. Low and behold, when the guys at Trudell ran the power wire to relocate the battery to the back of the car, they must have worn a hole in the main harness where it goes through the firewall. Once they saw that there were bare wires exposed on the harness, they soldered them back together and the pedal worked like it was supposed to.

They took the car on a test drive to make sure it would be good to go on the dyno for a few pulls to see what kind of numbers it's making. Only to notice that there was a coolant leak going on. I'm not sure which shop thought it was okay to use RTV/JB Weld to try and seal up a crack in the coolant flange, but that was their fix for the crack and then they used zip ties to hold it in place.

So instead of picking up my car today, they're waiting on a new coolant flange to come in at the dealers and to my surprise the coolant flange was actually off of an ALH engine. I guess I forget that over in Europe they're a year or two ahead of us on the engine or chassis we have in the states. So if anyone else is running a PD150(ARL) from Europe, just remember that no all of the parts will match up with the PD engines we have here.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ge/038121132c/

This is a picture of the part that's causing the delay.

The plan now is to pick up the car on Wednesday and start prepping for our trip to Road Atlanta at the end of the month to finally put some laps on it. So if you live near Atlanta and wanna make the trip to Road Atlanta on December 1st or 2nd to see the car in person and what it can do in track, send me a pm, so I can give you my cell phone number.

Here's some more info about the event.
http://nasa-se.com/2018/08/12/santas...sINRiXKIyxxqsY
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old November 24th, 2018, 21:08   #86
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Well I have some awesome news...I finally have my car back after what seemed like forever between the time it spent at both shops.

VL Performance was great to work with on completing the car and I just wish I had taken the car there right from the get go, but there was no way of knowing that things would go so wrong at Trudell Performance when I dropped the car off there 11 months ago. At least now I know where to go in the future for any projects with either this car or my Jetta.

I don't have any decent pictures of the completed interior yet, since we were running a little behind schedule for getting back to town, so my dad could make his dinner reservations with my mom and some of their friends.

Here's what I have at the moment and I should be able to get some pictures tomorrow. Otherwise I know the guys at VL Performance took some decent ones and they're going to email me those. Plus I'm planning on getting plenty of video and pictures from the track day at Road Atlanta.

Here are the initial dyno numbers. They said the final numbers are higher if anyone wants to take a stab at it.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old November 28th, 2018, 07:13   #87
Geobmx4life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2005Golf TDI 50mpg...best 60

Love how this is turning out...been following since the start...beautifully done!!!
2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, .658 5th gear, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, FK coils, 18in Serrons. Frostheater
Geobmx4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:20   #88
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geobmx4life View Post
Love how this is turning out...been following since the start...beautifully done!!!
Thanks, I really appreciate the compliment!

Sorry for taking so long to post up about my trip to Road Atlanta.

Anyway we left Thursday afternoon around 2:30 CST and started on our journey to Road Atlanta. We made pretty good time until we hit traffic in Chicago, which delayed us by about 30 minutes or so, which isn't all that bad as anyone that lives near Chicago will attest to. We had to make a stop near Gary, Indiana to pick up someone that offered to drive my car at the track and help drive the van when my dad got tired.
Things were going pretty smooth with our trip until we hit traffic just as the sun was coming up and it was due to someone crashing through a guard rail and sliding down the hillside I can only assume.

With stops and traffic we made it to our hotel around 12 EST where the hostess was nice enough to let us in our a little bit early, so we could drop off our luggage that was stashed in my car, so we wouldn't be so crowded in the van. Just as we were about to leave for the track, the package of toys I ordered was at the front desk, since the gate fee was $20 or bring a toy with to the event being it was called Santa's Toy Run and all.

We were able to track down where the paddock was, so we could find a place to park the van, unload the car, and unhook the trailer to save our space. Then Walter the guy who invited me to event was able to track me down and had a very nice surprise for me. A friend of his gave me a ride in his Porsche GT3! Talk about an incredible experience, that just blew my mind at what the car was capable when it's let loose on a track. The car had the 3.8L flat 6 mated to a PDK transmission and I hate to say it, but after riding in that car with the lightning quick shifts, I can see why some people prefer the PDK over a 6 speed manual. Every time he shifted it pulled me back in the seat and I know I don't have the upper body strength I used to, but in this car I'm not sure it would matter. I can't even imagine what it would be like in a hypercar that's making 1,000+ hp and going for a ride in one of those.

Sadly it rained all day on Saturday and a little bit on Sunday morning, so we didn't get a lot of pictures on Saturday, but little did I know that the crew from AARodriguez Corp was at the track day as well and stood out in the rain and got some shots of my car on track on Saturday. So thank you Angelica and friends

I'm not sure if this shot is from Saturday afternoon when the rain let up for a little bit or on Sunday morning when the track was still wet...
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old Yesterday, 22:22   #89
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

And here's what can happen if you push your car too much in the rain.

My car was quite dirty after running in the rain on Saturday.

Angelica was able to get some great photos on Sunday when things finally dried out in the afternoon.

Unfortunately we weren't able to get any GoPro footage like I hoped we would have, but we able to get some short clips of the car on the track.
https://youtu.be/l0UnyuyKFEE

https://youtu.be/7JFdFSWWDiQ

https://youtu.be/npNx99JG-mc
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old Yesterday, 22:23   #90
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Overall it was a great experience and I'm hoping I can make it an annual event, since I meet some amazing people while we were there, the people next to us let us use their EZ Up tent while I was getting transferred in and out of the car on Saturday, otherwise I would have been soaked at the end of the day.

Here's my car after a fun filled weekend.

I'm hoping this winter I can have some fun with it out on the ice.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread