BRM engine/turbo advice needed

martyn706

TDI
2006 TDI, BRM engine
My car is a 2006 TDI, BRM engine, with the 5 spd manual. Just rolled over 193k miles. I have noticed that my turbo is leaking exhaust by the shaft for the wastegate actuator. This is my daily driver, I'm not looking for big power gains, need to keep it intact for fuel economy. What I would like to know is: What other turbo options can this stock engine run, aside from an OEM turbo, that won't lift the head? What kind of boost pressure do these engines handle before killing the head gaskets?? I don't know if someone has gone down this path before or knows who I should try to contact to find helpful information? Any help would be appreciated! TIA

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
pd140 turbo and call it a day, bolts on like factory, because it's a factory unit from Europe. The borg warner KP39 stock units are the same price and inferior.

Heads on PDs sometimes start lifting around 26-28lbs without head studs, really luck of the draw. You can conservatively run that turbo at 22 psi (factory European spec) or turn it up a tad to 24 psi with a 3 bar map sensor like hundreds of others :)

Most of these turbos do not come with a "smart actuator" so that would be deleted in software. If you're on the original dual mass flywheel, it's probably due for replacement as well, let your tuner know so they can limit torque accordingly.

You could run the pd140 turbo on stock software using a smart actuator, but where's the fun in that? Several vendors here sell those turbos, cascade german and idparts to name a couple.

martyn706

TDI
2006 TDI, BRM engine
Owain, can you personally message me on here about this? I see you work at malone tuning, I have more questions.

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
I have a BRM with Colt stage 2 cam, PD140 no smart actuator, Malone lite stage 4 cause I’m DSG. Stockhead bolts I boost to 24-25lbs 80,000 miles on rebuild and I drive it like I stole it. No problems

martyn706

TDI
2006 TDI, BRM engine
hymato, where did you order your pd140 turbo from? rough price you paid? also, what clutch are you running in your car?

martyn706

TDI
2006 TDI, BRM engine
Apologies, I overlooked that. I'm also a VW newbie(1.5 years) I don't know all the abbrev/lingo that VW and owners use.