Polar FIS+

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I had a similar issue. Updated to V 0.2.2 then road trip and left the car sit for 2.5 days, return to nearly dead battery. It had other issues with that revision that were mostly resolved when I later disconnected and reconnected battery, like yours did with a very dead battery.

The Auto Polar folks say "We uploaded a wrong v022 that perhaps caused this battery drain, but yesterday we fixed in the v023"

They recommend updating to the newest version.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
I had a similar issue. Updated to V 0.2.2 then road trip and left the car sit for 2.5 days, return to nearly dead battery. It had other issues with that revision that were mostly resolved when I later disconnected and reconnected battery, like yours did with a very dead battery.

The Auto Polar folks say "We uploaded a wrong v022 that perhaps caused this battery drain, but yesterday we fixed in the v023"

They recommend updating to the newest version.
So you're saying we paid $300 for what seems to be a completely untested device that was the cause of me being 6 hours away from home with a 100% dead battery. Wow.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
No, I didn't say that..
They did say "perhaps"

In any case they've been responsive, honest, and hardworking throughout this process.
I too wish it had just worked from day one. It didn't, so now I'm glad they are seeing it through.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
No, I didn't say that..
They did say "perhaps"

In any case they've been responsive, honest, and hardworking throughout this process.
I too wish it had just worked from day one. It didn't, so now I'm glad they are seeing it through.
I'm a nerd engineer/programmer. "Perhaps" and "maybe" are used all-too-often to skirt around owning up to a mistake. A way-younger me said those all the time.

That said, programming I wrote can still be "wrong" if it's 99.99% correct. It still may not actually "work". So I get it. However, what percentage of completion was this MQB PolarFIS released at? What percentage is it now many, many months later? It still cannot tell me the main reason for me purchasing it... EGT, DPF temps, IAT, etc., etc.

All of the programming I've done cannot be tested prior to installation as it was completely custom and for huge equipment. There are bazillions of North American MQB TDI cars to complete testing on. FWIW, IMHO, this should not have been released to the paying public until it was actually ready (say >95% correct).

Using the paying, unsuspecting, and uninformed public to do your R&D, to be your quality control, and expect them to spend their time to write 100's of feedback emails, etc. is not proper business ethics to me. Again FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.

I too am happy they made this product. I just wish it was released with at least the same quality as my mk6 JSW PolarFIS out of the box (and after a quick update prior to installation in the hard to get to under dash space).

They have to stick with it because they already sold bunches of these. But what is "sticking with it"? How many hours a week is PolarFIS spending to rectify this situation?

How many months have already passed? (I purchased 4 months ago)

How many updates with 0.01% improvements have been released? (and we run to do them as we incorrectly assume it is going to be a greater than 0.01% improvement)

How many more months do we have to wait until we can write/read posts that say "it now works as I expected when I purchased"?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
"We are excited to announce that PolarFIS is ready for MQB platform! Fully customizable gauges and up to 10 Screens over 40 Parameters! This is the cleanest gauge system on the planet for your Mk7 MQB "

I guess were now gonna debate the word "ready" and it's been going on since March 18, and that was after Polar said it was soon to be released way back in sometime in 2016.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
"We are excited to announce that PolarFIS is ready for MQB platform! Fully customizable gauges and up to 10 Screens over 40 Parameters! This is the cleanest gauge system on the planet for your Mk7 MQB "

I guess were now gonna debate the word "ready" and it's been going on since March 18, and that was after Polar said it was soon to be released way back in sometime in 2016.
Laugh out loud to this entire situation. I purchased Polar the first day Kerma released it and it was about june/july before I could even get it to work. I had the similar electrical problems and my car battery probably would have died if I didnt drive it everyday. When I had my ticket with Autopolar I was told those problems happened because my ECU was not supported. Mine worked the next update so maybe that is what is causing some people so many issues?

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
My car sat for 4.5 straight days and outside and it's way colder now...
I checked the SOC% (battery state of charge) on the dash prior to starting it. It said 100%. So it's not my battery.
My guess it was the PolarFIS that killed it as Polar stated in Grigg3's comment above.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Went to try to update today with updater v1.8.1 and I cannot update. Updater shows connected and pulls the info from the device, then shows me a message that says, "Error (data-post)", then "Error connecting to server [42]".

I currently have version 0.2.1 installed and it seems to be working ok-ish for what information that particular version can tell me (which is still not the reason I bought the device for :)

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
I updated mine a few weeks ago, it's working OK but I haven't tested all the parameters like I did before.
Haven't tried for a new update.

Have you asked them about your troubles?

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and then try again, this has resolved weird issues before.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Yes, i disconnected and reconnected the battery just prior to trying to connect. Then I disconnected the battery again, left it disconnected, and tried to connect to PolarFIS. Got same error message.

What version are you running now?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
I was running 0.2.3, never tried 0.2.4.

They sent me a note last week that I should update to the latest 0.2.5b which is a large update with several parts rewritten altogether.

So far so good, several things have been fixed but I haven't checked it out thoroughly.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
absolute, or Atmosphere pressure?

heck could even be emissions pressure or back pressure across the DPF?

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Updating seems to be much easier now.

Updated to 0.2.5b1

Seems to work fine. Not too many new parameters, but there are a few. One major one for me is finally seeing EGT. This may have come in earlier revisions, but as I couldn't update for a while there, I jumped from 0.2.1 to 0.2.5b1.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
What is Admission Pressure?
If the abbreviation is atm, it's atmospheric.

I'd like to know if the battery draining issue is resolved with the latest update. I'm ready to ask Santa for one of these. TIA.

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I’ve had the MQB edition for over a month on my MK7. I bought it and updated it to 0.2.4 before install. I’ve never had a battery issue and have always seen the EGT’s on all four sensors. Of course the layout still needs improvement, it’s not as clean and sized like on the MK6 displays. But overall, all the parameters seem to work fine on the one I have installed.

If the new beta update has addressed the size and position of the readout that would be great, really only one of the downfalls I see now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
I updated this past week from 1.8 to 2.4 and it was a huge improvement. Font and layout is more mk7 style then the previous mk6 style. Only 4 parameters per page instead of 5, and now the third parameter is larger so it is much easier to see my EGT values. Still no intake air temp but the boost reading worked.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
After watching this thread for more than 6 months, I'm ready to give myself and my GSW a treat. Going to the Polar website, though, the order link seems to be broken. Also, it seems to be a British site. I doubt anyone can post a link to the ordering site, but I hope someone can PM me with the info. I really want to get a handle on the DPF and EGT parameters. TIA.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I hear that may be around the time mk8s hit the streets this side of the pond, ha!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
So I got one from Kerma, and my son is helping with the update. Seems 2.4 s the one you're recommending. He says there is a red and a white 2.4. He's having trouble getting MQB to go well. The unit they shipped says PF04 on it. I hope they didn't ship the wrong one! We'll se how this works.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
So I got one from Kerma, and my son is helping with the update. Seems 2.4 s the one you're recommending. He says there is a red and a white 2.4. He's having trouble getting MQB to go well. The unit they shipped says PF04 on it. I hope they didn't ship the wrong one! We'll se how this works.
Any progress?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
OK. So I'm getting frustrated with the installation. No MkVII instruction videos. It seems I need to release the left dash cubby. Videos show a previous model - just squeeze the sides together and it pulls down. I have squeezed until I think I'll break the plastic and no luck. Has anyone else done this? I have taken off one lower panel.

Seems I'm in no need to undo the battery since there is no knee airbag. Once I can remove the lower panel it should be pretty easy.

I'm looking forward to plug and play, but like so many install videos, a simple "remove this piece" is preventing my making progress.

Any hints?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
OK. So I'm getting frustrated with the installation. No MkVII instruction videos. It seems I need to release the left dash cubby. Videos show a previous model - just squeeze the sides together and it pulls down. I have squeezed until I think I'll break the plastic and no luck. Has anyone else done this? I have taken off one lower panel.

Seems I'm in no need to undo the battery since there is no knee airbag. Once I can remove the lower panel it should be pretty easy.

I'm looking forward to plug and play, but like so many install videos, a simple "remove this piece" is preventing my making progress.

Any hints?

Is this what you are trying to remove, or is it the panel around this?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep - that's it. Wonderful.

May I ask where you located this disassembly info? It will help me to see the information that is not in the pic.

Thanks.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Give it a slow but firm pull in the bottom right corner when you have it open, that seems to unhinge it. There are very small tabs at the top but it doesn't take much to release them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk