New 2011 A3 TDI S-line

5FDP

TDI
A3
Had my A3 for a little while. Picked it up back in Nov 2015 for $11k. Pretty much loaded.

After doing some reading and mods here is how the car stands now.

Malone stage 2 tune, straight pipe exhaust and opened the bottom of the airbox up #becausedremel. Needed tires so I put in some taller LRR 225-45-18's. Did a upper grill block and made a front splitter. I have a vid of how the car sounds straight piped. While cruising and normal driving I can hardly hear any difference. I can hear the turbo a little with the windows down but that's it unless at WOT can You can tell it's not stock.

Mileage. I range between 50-54mpg hwy and 36-45mpg in town. Best of both is 56.1/46.5 respectively.

I'll be heading to the track when things cool off after Summer to get some numbers.

I wish the DSG TUNE allowed me to take off in 2nd gear! I still find the DSG programming sucks.

5FDP

TDI
A3
wow.. great deal.. how many miles?
It's at 108k now. Had 84k when I bought it. It was perfect without a scratch and was a single owner who was a Doc that had it maintained by the same tech at the same dealer from new. I have the entire service history with the car. I drive around 2kmi/mo sometimes a bit more.

The tune woke the car up. But I would t say it's "fast" in anyway. It almost has enough power to get out of its own way now.

Last edited:

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
What exactly is the "S-Line" on the A3 TDI?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
What exactly is the "S-Line" on the A3 TDI?
You get a wheel/tire upgrade, firmer, maybe a bit lower ride; some exterior black
accents, xenon/LED lights, leather sport seats, some brushed aluminum interior
trim and, of course, S-line badges!

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
You get a wheel/tire upgrade, firmer, maybe a bit lower ride; some exterior black
accents, xenon/LED lights, leather sport seats, some brushed aluminum interior
trim and, of course, S-line badges!
Right on, thank you! Is this considered the "Sport Package" on the FTC buyback tables? My 2012 Premium has it.

5FDP

TDI
A3
I may make another thread but this DSG even with the Malone tune on it still isn't very good.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
I think so...:eek:
I did some digging and found out the "S-Line" badging is an exterior "appearance" package that is on all of the TDI models, and is not part of the Sport Package (different wheels, different seats, lowered/stiffer suspension). Looks cool though!

We just got our 2nd A3, a 2013 Premium Plus. That car is fricken beautiful! Silver with black leather, Bose, sunroof, very low miles...

Even after $1k shipping from Florida, after sales tax, after registration, after interest on the loan (3 payments), after capital gains tax on the profit, after everything....we're making at least $7K profit on this bad boy, with roughly another $3600 tied-up in eligible seller funds. So profit only goes up from there. Ridiculous..

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
I did some digging and found out the "S-Line" badging is an exterior "appearance" package that is on all of the TDI models, and is not part of the Sport Package (different wheels, different seats, lowered/stiffer suspension). Looks cool though!
We just got our 2nd A3, a 2013 Premium Plus. That car is fricken beautiful! Silver with black leather, Bose, sunroof, very low miles...
Even after $1k shipping from Florida, after sales tax, after registration, after interest on the loan (3 payments), after capital gains tax on the profit, after everything....we're making at least $7K profit on this bad boy, with roughly another $3600 tied-up in eligible seller funds. So profit only goes up from there. Ridiculous..
are you asserting that every A3 TDI has S-line badging? more importantly, does every trim have paddle shifters standard?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
:D joining in the fun - awaiting delivery of a loaded '11 PP w/ 50k. may keep and mod if we love it, or do the buyback later if something better pops up.
really intrigued to compare the driving dynamics with the Golf

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
:D joining in the fun - awaiting delivery of a loaded '11 PP w/ 50k. may keep and mod if we love it, or do the buyback later if something better pops up.
really intrigued to compare the driving dynamics with the Golf
Congrats on the A3!:D

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
cheers, can't believe you didn't get to one before i did! :p
noticing this A3 forum is a real ghost town... is Audizine more happenin'?

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
are you asserting that every A3 TDI has S-line badging? more importantly, does every trim have paddle shifters standard?
I think every A3 TDI has the S-Line badging, yes. The Premium Plus has standard paddle shifters (not available on Premium).

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
He already got two before you, sir!
should've said "i can't believe you left one behind for me to snatch!"

i'm actually hoping it's a keeper, as it has every bell/whistle other than NAV, which i didn't want anyway... only light-colored interior would've checked every wish.
you guys think there will be more than a handful of fixed ones sold back, if a fix even gets offered on these?

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
You bet!

How many did you end up with? I stopped at 5+1.
Let's start a statistical thread when this thing gets finalized and when the cars are flying into the dealer's lots. It will be fun.

By the way yesterday I picked up a 2011 Q7 TDI prestige with 92k miles on it, for 22k+TTL. On the first sight, the wifey said "it's so beautiful, can you NOT return it?". I answered "no they're not buying it back". :D

It's a very substantial SUV with lots of bells and whistles, drives great, like new. It's probably a keeper.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
should've said "i can't believe you left one behind for me to snatch!"
i'm actually hoping it's a keeper, as it has every bell/whistle other than NAV, which i didn't want anyway... only light-colored interior would've checked every wish.
you guys think there will be more than a handful of fixed ones sold back, if a fix even gets offered on these?

The early birds definitely lost appetite after being fed for a while so there're bound to be leftovers, among which some are very nice ones. The game was definitely easier to play when the majority were in hybernation; when everybody woke up, the game was pretty much over.

I would go out on a limb to say that it's probably the same case for the 3.0s, especially the generation 1 cars, whatever that means. I guess 09&10 Touareg/Q7 must be among them, maybe 11&12 year models, too.