10 Golf wagon ride vs older B5 Passat ride

v4tuna

TDI
2005 Jetta
I am currently in a b5 passat 5 speed gas looking to go to a golf wagon tdi but concerned that it doesnt ride as nice as the passat does. Its hard to tell on short test drives. Has anybody else make the switch or opinions

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I can offer my thoughts having owned two 2005 Passat TDI wagons, both US spec automatics. I have since owned a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI and am currently driving a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, both 6 speed three pedal manuals. The Sportwagen is a different beast, it's much more sporting than the Passat in nature; it's turn in and general responsiveness is much more sporting. The Passat on the other hand is a touring car in nature; it's more comfortable on the highway than the Jetta. The Passat is fantastic car, as is the Jetta, they are just different personalities. I like both with perhaps a bias toward the Jetta with more driver involvement. That said, I have taken both for 2000 plus mile trips regularly and appreciate them both. If you are an active and involved driver, they Jetta won't disappoint, however, if you want super relaxed driving, the Passat will be superior. Just my opinion, hope it's helpful.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
Just realized you were comparing a gasser to the TDI. The TDI is intoxicating in both. I find the 1.8T to be good, but the torque of the TDI is so much nicer in my opinion in the Passat if you could tolerate the slushbox. If you have a V6, I still feel the TDI is my preference in the Passat. So applying my logic, I would prefer the sportiness of the Jetta Sportwagen TDI to any manual transmission equipped gas fired Passat, unless it was a manual transmission with 4motion.... See my sig.....

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
B5.5 vs PQ35

We have a 1.8T 4M 5MT B5.5 gasser PSW and an '11 JSW TDI DSG.

Different cars, but both are fun to drive.

The JSW is crisper and more modern. The seats are better, as are the electronics and the HVAC. I even like the DSG. I put in a MFSW with paddles to help ease the transition from doing all the shifting myself. In practice, paddles are most useful for down shifting. If I bought the TDI again, I'd certainly think about a 6MT...though the wife likes the DSG.

The PSW is more roomy and a little quieter than the JSW. The PSW earns its keep due to the all wheel drive 5 MT. It's also got snow tires, so it's my first choice for winter driving. The B5 PSW is also great for rear seat passengers due to the foot room and width that come with the platform.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I would agree on all of you comments Outrider. I would have chosen your PSW with 4m and 5speed, but they were almost unobtainium when I had to buy. That format in 2005 was quite rare; it wasn't even listed by VW. Your car is closer to an Audi A4 avant than to a VW. That PSW is a real keeper in my book! That said, without that particular version of the PSW, I would say my preference is the JSW TDI 6 speed three pedal; I like to be involved in driving.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
We have a Passat TDI sedan (2005) and a Golf TDI wagon (same as JSW in the US, wife's), plus a 2011 Golf TDI hatch (mine).

I much prefer the Golf wagon to the Passat, simply a more precise driving car, and we prefer the 6-speed manual to the 5-sp auto in the Passat. The Passat used to be a more comfortable highway cruiser, but at 265k km the suspension seems to be getting a bit tired and needs some attention (shocks, etc.). Overall I much prefer our Golf wagon to the Passat.

But I like my 2011 Golf hatchback best of all. Probably, overall, the best-handling car I've ever owned (and that includes a couple of mid-90s 3-series BMWs). A GTI with 1000+ km range!

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
B5.5

I've owned Golf TDI's both manual and auto, I've owned Jetta TDI's both auto and manual, I owned Beetle TDI's both auto and manual, an ATW Passat wagon manual, an ATW Passat sedan auto, an AWM Passat DSG, I had an 06 and a 10 Sportwagon TDI and a 10 sedan TDI. I bought a brand new 13 Passat Sel Pre TDI, my only comment on it was a real POS glad it got crushed and out of my life, I presently own a 13 Sportwagon TDI DSG, very nice car...but by far the best, the very best car I ever owned was my B5.5 Passat DSG TDI GLS sedan, I am sorry to this very day I sold it. If your doing city driving any of the smaller cars will work fine, but on the road a Jetta would be nice but the ultimate is the 04, 05 Passat TDI's, great feel of the road, great suspension, great handling and the car thinks all roads are flat. Torque. The 04 and 5's had issues but the newer TDI's are time bombs. I believe with the inroads on the new gassers buying diesel is a mistake, MPG comparing gas to diesel with todays gasser technology isn't a factor anymore and there are too many problems with VW TDI engines ...problem is diesel gets in your blood. In closing my daily driver is a 2000 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T manual, the 13 sits in the garage I'm afraid the HPFP or the DPF will explode... just kidding

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I own both an 03 Passat sedan with the 1.8l turbo and 5M and a 10 JSW tdi dsg. My daughter uses the passat as her daily driver and is sitting around 96K miles. I use the JSW as my daily driver with around 61K miles. For highway crusing the older passat can't be beat. Extremly comfortable leather seats helps with a cushy ride. The car just likes to float mile after mile. By comparison, the JSW seems much tighter and sportier. You feel more of the road and are also more involved in driving it. I love to push the JSW through the curves and the tdi really helps with the low end torque. The passat is not a bad handling car, just not as precise over the same curvy roads. I like the ride and feel of the 03 passat better than the new rentals I've had recently. My only real issue when driving the passat is that I often forget I have to downshift to get the turbo boost. I end up coming off the end of the entrance ramp around 50 with no power in fifth. Drop it into fourth and hang on! Much easier to do an Italian tune-up on with the manual.

Last edited: