Is this a scam?

ericjfrieder

TDI
none, yet
I found this on cars.com this morning, but the listing has since disappeared through search. I still have the link, though:

2002 Jetta GLS TDI $4900

The phone number does not work and he/she has only contacted me through email. The stated miles are 129,000 and the VIN is 3VWSP69M92M167533

Any help would be good.
Thanks,
EricF.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Scams-R-Us

ericjfrieder said:
The phone number does not work and he/she has only contacted me through email.
Ask him where you can inspect the car and title :) Have $4500 cash in your wallet ;)

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Invalid area code. See if you can get another number.
A valid 3-digit area code is required for this search. Please try your search again.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Advertisement [/FONT] Advanced Reverse Phone Search Powered by US SEARCH
Use the same source as Fortune 500 companies. Most powerful public records database available! Phone Number

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] » Search by Name
» Search by Address
» Search by Social Security Number
[/FONT]

Reverse Phone Number Search
Phone Number *

Copyright © 1996-2006 WhitePages.com. All rights reserved.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
Have $4500 cash in your wallet
If by chance they contact you and you do get to go see it make damn sure you don't carry that kind of cash on you. Thats a sure fire mark for a mugging if you ask me. I'd say its a total Scam job. No damn running 02 TDI would be sold for that. Scam Scam Scam. They post and are removed as quickly from others who know its a scam job. Happens every day. Just a scam. If its for real have access to the money but don't take it directly with you just keep it close at hand if it's legit. Don't hold your breath. You asked for specific info and now you don't get a response. They want you to send the money first.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
gottdi said:
Happens every day. Just a scam. If its for real have access to the money but don't take it directly with you just keep it close at hand if it's legit. Don't hold your breath. You asked for specific info and now you don't get a response. They want you to send the money first.
Yes, It happens every day. Its big business and makes scammers lots of money. Never use a escrow service for something like this.

I found myself in the middle of one of these, where I didn't get scammed, but many others did. I backed out in time, but was able to get info that ID'ed the scammers to their bank accounts. Spent two hours with federal investigators this week giving them a statement. May end up having to testify, but hope I don't have to.

"If it looks to good to be true, it is to good to be true!"

LOWRANGO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf GLS TDI Auto
put the vin in google, they are asking 12995 for that car somewhere. the real ad is also not available....

airtimeturbo

Vendor
TDI
too many to list
And speaking of scams...

There was / is? an 04 Jetta GLS TDI wagon listed on cars.com for $7,100. Nice color too :cool: Just for the fun of it (and aside from writing to cars.com to tell them to use their anti scamming missle) I used my "anonymous" e-mail address to make an "honest" inquiry. Here is the reply: (phone numbers were Marshall Islands and Zaire)

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in my car. The car is in absolutely perfect condition, no scratches, dings, dents or other imperfections. Always adult driven and garaged. Clear title. Price is $7,100. Firstly, I need to tell you that I recently moved to Dublin, Ireland due to work and family. Since I have no more relatives in the US, I brought the car with
me thinking that I could register it here. However, because of the big differences between the US emissions and the Irish ones, I can't register it, mainly because of
the steering wheel being on the right side. Furthermore, I am a fresh daddy
and I don't have the time to enjoy the car as much as I would, so I decided to sell this one. I will take care of all transport arrangements and costs since I am the one fettered to sell to the US. I have already done some research and came up with a quite reliable escrow company, just thought I'd save some time when I'll find a buyer. In short, here's how it works: You will transfer the money to escrow, they will
hold it in a trust fund ( NOT release it to me). Once they receive payment, I will ship the car. After you receive, inspect and approve the vehicle, you will confirm to escrow that you wish to keep it and they will release payment to me. This way, I can be sure that you do have the funds and are serious about buying and you get to drive and inspect the car before committing to buy. So, Please reply my email if you think
we can make a deal. Also, should you decide to proceed without delay, please
include your full name and shipping address so we can get started immediately.
Thank you

Anyone want to send the money????

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Speaking of scams, this is the reply I got to my craigslist listing:
Hello ,
Thanks for your response. I'm happy to inform you that I have concluded with my uncle (client) Pastor Schneider Adams and he has asked me to proceed with the transaction.
He went further to tell me that this transaction is being sponsored by the church committee members of the Church Of God Mission inc. Box 144, Station D Etobicoke, on M9A 4X1 Canada on behalf of him and his wife Mrs Carolyn Adams in commemoration of their golden jubilee anniversary celebrations.
Already, a cashier's check of ($31,000) has been mapped by the church committee members which now covers the whole expenses of the purchase of your car, tax ,pickup of the car from it location and shipping charges or any shipping arrangements.
I have therefore been mandated by my uncle (client) to forward your payment information to the church for them to make out this payment in your name.
Please note.
My uncle (client) explained to me that why you are to receive this payment in this amount is because the money being used for the payment was a donation made to the church by a christain organisation in support of his celebration on his golden jubilee.
He also told me that he will be traveling to the POLAND today for an important Evangelical conffrence.
when you receive check payment, you are expected to deduct the cost of your car which is ($23,000) and send the remaining balance of ($8,000) to the agent ( shipper) for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges. After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers) and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my uncle(client) and also conclude other necessary shipping arrangements. so you dont have to bother yourself about the pick up and shipping arrangements.
Please confirm the above and provide your payment information for your payment to be delivered to you via courier service.
Please provide the following:
1-LEGAL NAME IN FULL..............
2.CONTACT ADDRESS.....................
3.PHONE NUMBER(S)...........................
I will be expecting your mail with full payment information so that we can proceed.
Thanks And God Bless,
Clint.
94 St Mary's Mansions
Maida Avenue Little Venice
W2 Isy England. +447040128797 ( add 011 before dialing, that's country's international phone code)

Below is also my client information:
Pastor Schneider Adams
454 2nd RD E,
Stoney Creek,
ontario L8J 2X9.
Phone Number (206)3331252
I told him to go scam someone else. I never heard back. :D

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
This is most certainly a scam. I got it in reply to a Craig's List ad:

Hello,

The final price is 7000 usd.The car is as good as new so you don't have to worry. Here are the most important details about the car : Miles:42530 - US car ( US model , US specs )- odometer in Miles , speedometer in Miles per Hour ( MPH )This car meets all Environmental Regulations in the USA ( DOT , EPA ).it has a clear title issued in US and it can be registred anytime under your name without a problem.I will send you with the car the Bill Of Sale for you not have never problem to registered the car in your name and for this deal will be legitime.It's absolutely perfect ,it has a clear title ,has never been repaired ,never been involved in any type of accident or had any paint or body work done! I live in Dublin,Ireland, now where European specs are different from the American ones and it costs me too much driving this car legally here and also there is nobody interested in buying it here that's why I am selling it so cheap hoping to find a buyer in the US where it belongs.The second motiv i sell so cheap is because here in Dublin i can not drive this car.The best and fastest way I can ship with is using Lufthansa Air Cargo or FedEx and it takes between 4-5 days to arrive at your home address and We will use a safe payment method I am affiliated at Escrow Insurer,I have a a purchase protection account for 20000$ and I assume you know what this means.I will wait for your email to let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about the purchase.Thank you,
Peter...Regards!

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i see that scam on craigslist every week or so. Same thing with ebay. Why would someone think it's real? When will the guy give up?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
It's like the guy who was selling pencils for $5,000 each. Someone walked up and asked: "$5,000? Why would anyone buy a pencil for $5,000?" The man replied: "I just need to sell one pencil."

pdxgrease said:
When will the guy give up?