Company to make custom nozzles for Alh

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Wondering if anyone found a source for custom nozzles for an Alh, looking for something capable of 400bhp or so, I know dss-r has some options, but I am looking for something USA made, something that can be built to my own specs.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Nozzles exist off the shelf to do that power.

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
Wondering if anyone found a source for custom nozzles for an Alh, looking for something capable of 400bhp or so, I know dss-r has some options, but I am looking for something USA made, something that can be built to my own specs.
What own specs?

0.320, 0.360 and 0.460 is standard sizes.

0.320 size nozzles can do 380bhp with 11mm pump.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Thanks, maybe I'll get a set of dss-r 0.320 and run them until I get a bigger pump.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Better look into bottom end work of you are think of making north of 250hp....
I'm going to keep cranking it up until something bad happens, have a spare engine to build when that happens. Max effort R520 tune and 5800 rpm has not hurt it yet.

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
We have +300bhp VE and +350bhp PD with stock bottom end. Should be ok if max torque peak is after 3000rpm.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Please record it each time you push it harder. If you scatter the block, some of us would like to see and hear it.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
I run fairly conservative timing, and my turbo doesn't make full boost until 3400 rpm, so peak torque is higher.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Thought I would update this thread, I got a set custom made from a USA company, I am going to test them in my daily driver to see how they work at 275 or so bhp. They should be capable of nearly 400bhp, probably more with a custom injection pump.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Why ? They were available off the shelf...reasonably priced too ! Anyway, good luck with it, keep us updated please...

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
Does those nozzles have more than 5 holes? Basically only thing why I would get custom nozzles would be increasing hole count.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Does those nozzles have more than 5 holes? Basically only thing why I would get custom nozzles would be increasing hole count.
They are still 5 hole, but some other aspects of the orifices have been modified that of the shelf nozzles don't have

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
It’s seems to me you’ve wasted your money !
Why say he wasted money? On this forum anyone who is willing to experiment at the risk of not seeing any gains or blowing up an engine on my book is someone donating time, money and resources to a common cause: need for power and speed.

Perhaps something as "Keep us oosted on any oower gains or improvements " is more courteous than :you have wasted your money.

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Against all advice the OP had commissioned a company to probably extrude hone a set of nozzles on which they claim improvements over tried and tested off the shelf nozzles from European manufacturers. As pointed above if they claimed increased hole count then it would have been a real improvement- large holes just are a recipe for smoke and high egt... I do hope I get proven wrong but it’s easier to pick another nozzle in the event that one goes wrong or doesn’t inject as well as the others !

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Against all advice the OP had commissioned a company to probably extrude hone a set of nozzles on which they claim improvements over tried and tested off the shelf nozzles from European manufacturers. As pointed above if they claimed increased hole count then it would have been a real improvement- large holes just are a recipe for smoke and high egt... I do hope I get proven wrong but it’s easier to pick another nozzle in the event that one goes wrong or doesn’t inject as well as the others !
Considering that the company I used makes nozzles that make far more power with smaller orifices than the competition, I'm just experimenting to see what happens, I have used off the shelf European nozzles and I'm not happy with how much they smoke at idle.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I for one am happy that BustedBolts has the ambition and resources to test
pushing the envelope. And I'm grateful for his willingness to share his
experimentation. Anyone who goes outside the box will always attract
naysayers, the herd always objects to outliers.

Advancements in technology and thought have put us where we are today.
Some of it good, some of it bad, but not accepting the status quo is
something I'll always applaud, being something of a fringe dweller myself.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
From what I have learned the hp isn’t the rod bender. It’s the boost curve. A friend has been well over 220whp with stock bottom end and yet to bend any.

Last edited:

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
I made close to 300bhp on my stock bottom end before the rods got kinks in them.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
well known that torque is cylinder pressure and therefore what collapses rods, make your 140 hp at 1800 rpm and you'll have a bad time. Make your 300hp at 6k rpm and it'll probably live
that and many of them start out with bent rods well before the power's turned up
Still haven't taken apart an ALH without #2 and #3 being bent enough to skew the wear pattern on the rod bearing and piston skirt coating. Once there's a little bend it doesn't take much to make it worse.

ETA: timing does play into it too, lots of garbage can american tunes run way too much advance. 10deg at 1800 rpm will destroy stuff much earlier than 18 degrees at 6k

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
As pointed above if they claimed increased hole count then it would have been a real improvement- large holes just are a recipe for smoke and high egt...
didn't bosio have 7 hole injectors out for a while, well known for destroying pistons?
not knocking all injectors with >5 holes, but a little white smoke's easy enough to deal with

actually lately I've had some good success with running way too much advance at very light load to get rid of the white smoke. 10 degrees at idle, going back down around 8 degrees at highway cruise speed and IQ then back to basically stock maps on up from there

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
As far as I know, the 7 holes Bosio race v2 nozzles are still sold by the Bosio vendors, I have not seen any proof of them breaking/melting pistons...out finish friends tried them and it’s them who reported failures although it seems it’s most likely user error that break stuff... I remember back in the day people cursing 2.5 v6 tdi race 683 nozzles as being bad and not idling properly on later engines, it was found they were made for early type injectors...2nd version they fixed the issue... I am happy for the OP to try other manufacturers However I found long time ago that going against the grain it’s expensive but someone has to do it ! I was saying he wasted money on one off nozzles as they would be difficult to replace/source one off parts in the event they break ! As above Bosio race 520 do work really well out of the box with most tunes and they produce loads of power- tried and tested by many ! Good luck with it, eager to hear the outcome on the Dyno stand !

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
As far as I know, the 7 holes Bosio race v2 nozzles are still sold by the Bosio vendors, I have not seen any proof of them breaking/melting pistons...out finish friends tried them and it’s them who reported failures although it seems it’s most likely user error that break stuff... I remember back in the day people cursing 2.5 v6 tdi race 683 nozzles as being bad and not idling properly on later engines, it was found they were made for early type injectors...2nd version they fixed the issue... I am happy for the OP to try other manufacturers However I found long time ago that going against the grain it’s expensive but someone has to do it ! I was saying he wasted money on one off nozzles as they would be difficult to replace/source one off parts in the event they break ! As above Bosio race 520 do work really well out of the box with most tunes and they produce loads of power- tried and tested by many ! Good luck with it, eager to hear the outcome on the Dyno stand !
I've ran R520 in both of my cars, I am very happy with their performance but I need something that flows more.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Thought I'd update and say I've installed these nozzles into my daily and am very happy with the results so far. I'm still dialing in the tune but egt are lower than with the 0.300mm nozzles I had before, definitely a decent bump in power also, idle exhaust haze is less also. I can't give it max fueling because I'm at the max of the turbo at this point. I'll be putting these injectors into my built engine for my other car with a huge turbo setup so I'll be able to see what the max power with these is later

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Dyno or nothing please. I cant take data unless its measurable.