Trans help!

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Just did a swap in my 01 alh, did a new smf clutch and .658 5th gear as well. Everything is together and clutch seems to be bled but I can't move the shift weight by hand and the differential axle flanges won't spin. Car is still on jack stands anyone got any suggestions?
I haven't bled brakes yet, and was thinking of changing out shift towers?
TIA
-Tom

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Just did a swap in my 01 alh, did a new smf clutch and .658 5th gear as well. Everything is together and clutch seems to be bled but I can't move the shift weight by hand and the differential axle flanges won't spin. Car is still on jack stands anyone got any suggestions?
TIA
-Tom

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
TIA
-Tom
http://www.forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=486435

Why did you create 2 threads!!??

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Give us more details!

Did you install the SMF properly (clutch disc turned in the right direction comes to mind).. can you rotate the engine by putting a 19mm socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft at the TB end of the engine?

Maybe you should remove the end cover on the tranny to make sure the 5th gear is in properly? Remember, if you've put in oil, there will be some of it drain out when you remove the cover, but not all of it.

Do you have the shifter cables connected?

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Ahh okay it was late last night i hadn't thought to do that but will try when I get home!
Yes marked tdc for the flywheel clutch disc is proper direction followed many good threads about the job.
I have not filled trans with oil yet due to nothing moving but i have the gear in properly for sure and really only one way it goes together, also followed many good threads for that as well. Shifter cables are not connected, I figured since I can't move the balance weight by hand I shouldn't connect them yet.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
I did not pull the shift tower out, thought about it but didn't

Edit: how would it be stuck in 2 at once?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Did you check shifting before you installed?

Does the shift tower allow up/down movement?

Sounds like something is jammed inside the transmission.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Yeah it moved freely when I had everything apart, there is no up and down movement at all and a little bit of side to side wriggle. Im dreading if something is jammed in the trans, if so what could it be. I pushed the weight down and no movement since

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'm NOT a transmission guy, in which case anything I say is really only a muse...

If trying to spin your axles a bit doesn't introduce some slack (don't try and put a lot of force) then it's got to be the transmission or the clutch (though how the clutch could be jamming things I do not know- assuming that the transmission hooked up to the block just fine- NOTE: I had a case where the thin metal plate that foes between the trans and the block had an ear (slips over the dowel) fold over; I was fortunate in that I caught this before I started to torque things down; this would have ended up causing things to be a bit twisted- no idea if it would have resulted in a binding or not, but certainly not right).

If a more knowledgeable person comes along they could say whether it would be meaningful or not to pop off that end pan to expose the 5th gear assembly.

Are you sure the clutch fork and throwout bearing are OK? Not thinking that even if messed up that they could cause things to lock up like this (unless something jamming into the fingers on the pressure plate's fingers).

OK... one more thing... and, again, not sure how it would cause the trans to stay locked up, but the starter, might pull it (can look inside a bit). Things locked tight don't provide enough wiggle to allow one to disengage gears.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
When installing 5th gear, did you leave it engaged "in gear?" If so, do you know if the shifter (tower balance etc.) was shifted into a gear (1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th)?

That's how it could be in two different gears considering you were not inside the main part of the tranny!

Pop off the cover and see if 5th is in gear .. very easy to do!

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Ahh hmm intetesting I did not know that, I'm not sure if it was in gear or not. I know the selector gear wasn't all the way in or all the way out so I presume no?

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
If it is stuck in 2 gears how would I take it out of both?
Thanks for the input OhUh, I'm pretty sure everything is done right, when we put it in we made sure not to catch on the aluminum plate that you're talking about which was a pita

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Update:
Shift tower removed, trans cover off, everything spins but seams as if selector gear doesn't want to slide in and out. Really not sure what to go after now

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Did you have the shift tower out?
Sounds like it may be in two gears at once.

Give these guys a call....they know their vw trannys....
https://www.aptuning.com/
tel:717.272.0916

Give these guys a call...they are my go to with manual vw trans issues...great guys extremely knowledgeable and they are in your state!

Last edited:

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Thanks for all the input guys car is together and runs great. I just wound up pulling out the shift tower, fiddled with it for a bit put it all together and vioal!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Well it go to hear you got it going.
Sounds like you had it in 2 gears at once.
Maybe when you had the trans out it was in a gear, 1st to 4th, then when you changed 5th you had the slider engaged also.
I was able to get a 4 speed RWD in 2 gears at once with the top shifter off and sliders out.