2006 Jetta tdi fly wheel

gshamlin

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have a 2006 VW Jetta tdi and it is making a ticking noise every now and then but still runs fine and starts fine. Went to get it serviced before I try and sell it and mechanic says fly wheel is a little worn out and eventually the car will just stop running all together. Is this an easy fix? Or should I excpect to spend a good bit of money?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you do it yourself, it'll be around 400-500. Shops will charge labor of course. It won't stop running per se. The transmission will explode when the flywheel gives and will probably require a transmission replacement.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
If it's just making a ticking noise and not all the time it's not going to explode anytime soon.
Does it make the noise when hot or cold? The dmf evens out the power pulses from the engine so a noise from the dmf can also be caused by a misfire or a engine running a little rough.

If it's making a heavier sound or if you experience vibration in the pedals you need to replace the DMF.

gshamlin

TDI
2006 Jetta
The ticking noise is barely noticeable while driving but you can hear it while stopped at a light

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
The ticking noise is barely noticeable while driving but you can hear it while stopped at a light
It's really difficult to describe sounds but to me it sounds like the sound you have is something else than a DMF. At least my flywheel made a hellish racket at idle but was completely silent while driving.
Ticking, to me, sounds like bad lifters or something.

81-1.6

TDI
06 Jetta TDI PD
correct me on this; a worn flywheel you will hardly hear except in neutral or park. It sounds very much like a metalic rattle